Best commuter town/village serving Dublin

• Thread starter sarahhurray
  • Start date
Drogheda

Judging from 'Love is a Drug' on RTÉ Monday nights, Drogheda looks like a real happening place. ;)

Re: Drogheda

so the camera can lie then? only one character has a half Dwada accent.
LA. was working in Monaghan today and came home to 'the town' via Armagh. Did my Christmas drink buying there. No cheaper than Newry but the pleasure of not hearing dubs on the mobile telling everyone in earshot about the prices. Priceless. (as Visa or Mastercard would say.)

Re: Drogheda

The reality of the situation Setanta is that half of Drogheda is full of Dubs:( , hence the proliferation of Dub accents in LITD. Have been to Armagh on a number of occasions recently and yes the peace is heaven. Setanta , are you by any chance an alter ego for Cuchullain ?

Re: Greystones.

"Greystones. Best of both worlds. Nice village and less than an hour by train to City Cente."

You must be joking!!!

Just an example - a new estate of 1800 houses with no room to swing a cat but for which you'll fork out €300k + for the privilege? For that you get no space, no community facilities, no road infrastructure. A road planned to connect to the N11 in 2008. If you want a prime example of lack of planning and disorder with obvious consequent social problems then look no further. The only ones who profit in this situation are the developers. Greystones and Delgany were just nice names.

Re: Greystones.

Maybe.
Is there any link in folklore between Setanta and Cuchulainn?

Re: Cuchulainn/Setanta.

"Culainn was sorrowful at the loss of his hound which had guarded his home so well. Setanta consoled him and said he would find a young hound and train it to guard Culainn`s house. He volunteered to guard Cullain`s house and property himself until a worthy successor to the slain hound was found. King Conor decreed this to be fair. Thus, Setanta became known as Cuchulainn - the hound of Culainn".

Sue, far be it from me to question a womans word (you know me well by now), but was it not Setanta who slew the dog with a camán & sliothir?. I agree with all the rest pet ;)

great story sue. dont suppose LA can better that one.

Re: best commuter town

What about Portarlington? Loads of development going on there at the mo, but still has a nice "small-town" feel, and only 40-50 minutes by train to Dublin...

Celbridge(really not that bad, used to live there but moved as house prices just keep going up!!) Maynooth...lovely town full of students though due to the college, leixlip...Its ok, but not my kup of tea!...I moved to Athy...lovely town Lidl, supervalu,extravision ect plus plenty of little shops. Train station is smack bang in the middle of the town so easy access and takes about an hour into dublin. Carlow is only 15 mins drive away and has a huge tesco and a mall....Just an idea!

Johnstown, just north of Naas is a very nice place to live. You get a country feel but is still close enough to the city. The house prices are very steep though I'm afraid and bound to increase further with the completion of the N7 widening scheme in August 2006. The houses are very well built and large, which is some consolation. Shopping can be done in both Naas and Newbridge - both of which are getting new large shopping centres in the near future.

Bray. It has a proper DART connection (unlike infrequent single line to Greystones) and is close to the recently finished M50.

Re: Naas

I agree with ajapale's comments with regard to Tesco and S'Quinn but there are now 2 fine retail parks on the outskirts of naas. Woodies, Smyths, B+Q etc. Tesco have planning permission for a new supermarket on the on the monread rd. Biggest retail development outside Dublin opening soon just down the road in Newbridge. So I would say its very well served from that point of view.

Yes speedy a lot has changed the year since I made those comments. The new primary shcool on the Sallins Rd has also opened. I still think that any aspiring town should have a tier 1 Dunnes (aside try grading your local dunnes 1,2,3 etc). The N7 improvements on the dualler are progressing at a great pace! The osprey hotel is settling down after a shakey start. The CoCo buildings is a truly aweful example of indulgent architecture it looks like the titanc after they rose it an it was hit by a tsunami! There is a fine new bookshop in the town centre and several new Indian Resturants.

On the other hand i never really liked Newbridge its a bit rough, tatty and fly blown. Im always expecting a bundle of tumble weed to blow down the main street. However cheap petrol in McLoughlins and a good Dunnes and Quinnsworth(sorry tescos, showing my age there) make it a worthwile shopping town. The new WhiteWater complex is huge. They are planning on the M7 (which will run from Dublin to Cork and Limerick) on drawing in the business. However there doesnt appear to be a lot of traffic planning in the town.

aj

Balbriggan and Skerries for sea, countryside, train, Dublin Bus, Bus Éireann (Balbriggan only) and Dart (whenever Transport 21 is complete, so maybe in 2021!).

If OP want to commute by train than driving, I would suggest Drogheda. It has a lot of new shops etc happening at the moment, but has its share of issues too - and def. more affordable than Skerries or Donabate etc.

Had I not bought my current house, I would be looking in Laytown - more trains stop there these days, and miles and miles of sand and nice atmosphere - no major shops etc, but you can always drive down to Swords, Blanch, Drogheda or Newry for shopping!

Back