Best commuter town/village serving Dublin

• Thread starter sarahhurray
  • Start date
S

sarahhurray

I'm craving a bit of greenery and maybe some seaside and my other half doesn't want to get lost down a lonely bog hole so as a compromise we're trying to figure out where is best place to live outside Dublin, but with good transport to Dublin, preferably a train, and not too expensive. Any ideas folks?

or a bit further afield? Wicklow town or Drogheda (commuter trains not DARTs).......

I like Naas. Its an established County Town with its own hospital, CoCo Offices, rail and road links to Dublin and the rest of the country. It has a good range of retail outlets. It has a well establishted social and sporting set up.

portlaoise, train, bew aircoach service etc ,hospital, cinema, etc etc

Outsie Dublin

Greystones. Best of both worlds. Nice village and less than an hour by train to City Cente.

Enough of this positive feeling... Celbridge now there's a place. The train station is about two miles from the village and is not a pleasant journey. The car journey to the smoke is arduous to say the least, the road to Newcastle is a mess.

There is a post Office with possibly the rudest staff on the whole planet, so rude that I would now advocate the closure of rural POs as a matter of policy. No cinema, two pretty good pubs, one good restaurant, really poor supermarket dating from the late Mesolithic period I’d say.

The town seems to be owned by one family, the laugh of which is there is a pay car park off the main street and there is a huge sign stating the terms and conditions of use. One of the terms is that the owner’s (named on the sign) car has the right of way at all times … ah Celbridge don't you just love it.

Actually having articulated it, I should say my three years there were fine but I was happy to leave.

BTW: Kildrought I assume you are a resident what do you think?

portlaoise.... train.. good roads plenty of shoppin and will even offer a brand new house .... now theres a cheek!!

I never thought of Portlaoise, I'll look into that.
I don't think I could live in Enfield. Purely on prejudice.
I was wondering about Bray. Is Greystones not posh and loadsa €€€€€€€€?
Any thoughts on Skerries?

I can't get t'other half to talk about Naas without him saying 'Naas a great place to shop' seems to make him feel it's a joke town.

Sarah, skerries, rush & lusk and balbriggan are lovely. Very nice beach in skerries/rush. Big difference on prices though between say Skerries and Balbriggan, you could be talking €30 k - €40 k more for a similiar house in Skerries than in Balbriggan.
Balbriggan has a lot of development going on at the moment and the houses are good value. The train service is available as well as the Bus Eireann buses into the city centre. Shopping isn't great, a couple of nice pubs....

that's interesting cause i understood Balbriggan wasn't half as nice but you say it's worth a look. So that might be next saturday's day trip. I do like the idea of walks with the dog by the sea, not that I have a dog, but you get the picture. I'll have a look at myhome now.

Skerries

Skerries is a nice well laid out town with plenty to do and see....nice walks, lovely harbour , good beach and deadly pubs. There are also plenty of sports clubs(sailing is big), societies etc and a good civic spirit. It's on the main Dublin-Belfast train line but I hear the trains are packed in the mornings as they start off in Drogheda.You can drive in to Dublin on the M1, 'bout 30 mins to Whitehall/Port Tunnel mess from there on it's the usual bumper to bumper. Drogheda is 20 mins up the M1 and is a good weekend shopping alternative to Dublin.
I have friends and family living there who either returned from abroad or moved out from Dublin and they all love the place.

Hi sarah,

'Naas - a nice place to shop' dates from the mid eighties when it was the first town in Irleand (ROI) to be by-passed by a motorway. The traders were afraid that they would loose business and had these signs erected at the motorway 'exits'. I always though it was a bit of a joke but they must be effective if the memory persists 20 years later.

Naas is a nice place to shop, but it is also an expensive place to shop. Tescos Naas is the worst Tescos on these Islands. There is no Dunnes in Naas. Superquin Naas is badly laid out with very poor parking. There is no decent place to get baby gear or toys in Naas. There is no Lidl or Aldi in Naas. There was a decent supervalue in Naas but its gone and has been replaced by a mediocre Spar.

Also note the Arrow train runs from Sallins 2 miles from the town centre and does not run on a Sunday.

ajapale

Sarah, I might as well get my oar in here. If you are looking for somewhere to commute from why not try Laytown or Bettystown, we are both seaside resorts yet only five minutes from country walks. We have good train service and also a lot of your fellow ex-city dwellers here. Only hiccup is the shortage of school places, so far 190 applications for 60 places , but rumours are abounding of a solution to the problem in the near future.

its a wonder you didnt stick in an oar for drogheda la. but that would reguire an rubber neck to go with the leatherarse.
ps whats all this ''good shopping town' crap youse are all spouting on about. as far as i can see the whole of dublin is shopping in newry. it's like henry street on a busy saturday. and all in the one area. jeeeez you would think there was no shops left in dublin the way they are spending. and the good news as LA knows is that you have to spend an hour in Dundalk on the way home. the alcohol row of sainsburys should be called vodaphone alley. everyone on the phone to the 'folks back home' quoting prices for this drink or that drink and taking orders over the phone. unreal.

Setanta, I am a MEATHMAN living in MEATH , yet I am a great fan of Drogheda Utd . I went to secondary school in the town , played soccer for the town, drank, danced and had my first sexual experience in the town ( not on my own ):lol yet I hate the town for what it is ....A total f**k up by a handful of traders and borough councillors AKA town planners. I would never reccomend to any person ( even a Dub ) to buy a house in Dublin.

Back