Best commuter town/village serving Dublin

• Thread starter sarahhurray
  • Start date
Carlow is a great option though you need a bit of foresight with this one as inner relief road is starting soon so for next 2-3 years has potential to be pain in the ar$e but will coincide with the completion and expansition on the Naas dual (soon to be triple) carriageway. Also improved timetable for train service and bus service. Can answer anyother qustion required of this great town

racso said:
Can answer anyother qustion required of this great town

Ok, I'll take you up on that.

How do you get to the GAA pitch if coming from Dublin?

As you come into carlow town from dublin go straight through first round about and at next round about go right and pitch is on the right hand side.

Would love to move to Carlow but not sure on areas, have looked around Tullow and the Palatine end of the town. Anyone got any comments?

CCOVICH said:
Ok, I'll take you up on that.

How do you get to the GAA pitch if coming from Dublin?
I would have thought you'd be for Clones on Sunday, though I suppose you've decided not to waste the diesel on a futile trip!!

Glenbhoy said:
I would have thought you'd be for Clones on Sunday, though I suppose you've decided not to waste the diesel on a futile trip!!

Umm-post above posted on 1-2-06.

I know the way to Clones-I know it well. If anyone from Doire needs directions I'll be happy to remind them.

Jofi,

I lice close to Palentine myself and have family living in the tullow area. The commute from both these to dublin is much the same. Palentine would be closer to Carlow town than Tullow. Tullow would be considered one of the rougher areas around the carlow area in my own opinion. Carlow town has plenty of schools etc, Patentine / Bennekerry area has its own national school. Carlow town is growing and developing which has been reflected in house prices over the past number of years. House in Palentine area would appreciate more than one in Tullow in my opinion. PM me is you want any more info.

Portmarnock, yes it is a bit expensive, but u are on the beach, beside Malahide which has some of the nicest restraunts and best pubs, beside howth which has a lovely walk you wont get bored of, its a harbour so the fish you get is fantastic, its on the dart line, buy one of the apartments (there's 3 or so up for sale at the moment) and you walk 5 mins to the station. And its a beautiful area.

Hi sarah,

'Naas - a nice place to shop' dates from the mid eighties when it was the first town in Irleand (ROI) to be by-passed by a motorway. The traders were afraid that they would loose business and had these signs erected at the motorway 'exits'. I always though it was a bit of a joke but they must be effective if the memory persists 20 years later.

Naas is a nice place to shop, but it is also an expensive place to shop. Tescos Naas is the worst Tescos on these Islands. There is no Dunnes in Naas. Superquin Naas is badly laid out with very poor parking. There is no decent place to get baby gear or toys in Naas. There is no Lidl or Aldi in Naas. There was a decent supervalue in Naas but its gone and has been replaced by a mediocre Spar.

Also note the Arrow train runs from Sallins 2 miles from the town centre and does not run on a Sunday.

ajapale
I was going to comment on this post but saw the date it was posted. Apart from Tescos, which will be resolved soon, everything else is sorted. I'm in Naas 10yrs and have seen massive changes and all for the better. Apart from the train station being in Sallins, Naas has everything.

Longford. For the cost of your typical 1 bed dublin appartment u could have a mansion on a plot of land with direct commuter train service to Dublin leaving on the 7am train and getting back in evening at 6:40/7:10 or 7:39pm.
I live in meath and currently spend 3 hours a day in a car getting in and out of the city. Sticking the house on the market and getting somewhere with a train line close by.

I'm currently contimplating a few commuter towns e.g Athy, Carlow, Portloise, Edgworthstown, Mullingar, Dundalk what would be recommended. I don't really want to commute to work so want to change jobs where would be best for work?

I agree with comments about areas such as balbriggan being built up and taking away from the History and community of the towns, however a lot of people don't always have much of a choice with the house they can buy, they have to get the best they can with what they can afford and unfortunitely this means in most cases, on huge estates where they've crammbed as many houses in as they possibly can, I'm one of those unfortunite soles who can not afford much else. i personally would love to live in a smaller community on an estate with maybe only 15 to 30 houses but from what I;ve seen the only places that seem to offer this are Co.Longford or areas way out from Dublin and as my friends and family are in Dublin I'd prefer to be as close as possible so i don't have a 4 hour drive to catch up with friends and family.

Tell me what is someone in my predicament to do I can only afford a mortgage of less then €200,000 where can you get a house in a decent area offering everything you need for that?????

E.g Shops, schools, entertainment, and work also being close enough to meet up with friends and family

The only one i really know is Athy, as far as i am aware you can still get houses there for under €200k.

The down side is that Athy has a fairly bad reputation, now in saying that it could have changed.

Its a small enough town with nothing really in it, but is close enough to Kildare Village, Whitewater in Newbridge, large retail parks in Naas.

There is a train service but i dont think its that regular.

Another option would be Monasterevin about the same distance away. Again there is very little in it, but the more amenities you get the dearer the houses will be.

As regards getting a new job, it obviously depends on what you do. An option is Naas, lots of business and retail parks and near enough so you wont kill yourself commuting.

Back