Are my credit card assumptions correct?

junii

I hope this question has not been posted too many times before. I ran a search and it did not reveal anyhing.

I want to get a credit card soon as there are many things available on the net that I could buy which would save me alot than if I had bought them in retail stores. I understand there is a €40 charge per year. This I do not mind as I will probably be saving much more than that every year on goods bought. I also understand that if I pay my bill on time, I will never have to pay any interest or extra charges. Are my assumptions correct and is there any other costs involved or things should know about?

Are all credit cards the same really apart from different issuers may have different interest rates. Different interest rates would not bother me to much as I will always be paying the bill on time but incase of emergency I would like (obviously) to get the best value card.

Thanks.

Yes, most seem correct.

€40 stamp duty payable to the government - some cards offer reward schemes if you spend over a certain threshold to refund this (or generally provide a reason for you to choose them over the competition (details listed on AAM)).

If you clear the credit in full each month no fees should be due, do check the card terms and conditions to be safe, but for 99% this will be standard and quite obvious. Extras, such as cash advance, can still cause fees so do read the details regarding this and other "extra" benefits (anything outside of normal purchases [further info available on possibilities of not being covered for theft/fraud if card is pre-loaded to avoid cash advance).

(Details on AAM about different cards causing different problems when used abroad. Have a quick look through this just incase. Personally, use a mastercard and have never run into problems using it here, uk, US and numerous other countries)

Take a look at:-

[broken link removed]

It's a big file!

Last edited:
Back