Anglo Irish Annual Regular Savings Account

Re: Anglo Irish launches new 8% Regular Savings Account

Flanders,

Funding the account from an AIB account. Can add accounts with AIB Online Banking.

As I said
You can only make one lodgement in each calendar month.

Or more strictly, the maximum amount you can lodge in a calendar month is €1000 (across however many lodgements you like.). So what techman proposes is not possible (at least not according to the terms and conditions).

The rest of my post explains why the Best Buys say €13,000 is the maximum balance; 12 months duration can be spread over 13 calendar months, e.g. opening lodgement on the 20th, and electronic transfers on the 10th of every month following.

You can only make one lodgement in each calendar month.
Not true. You can make as many lodgements in any one month as you like as long as you don't exceed the €1K per account holder limit on total monthly amounts.

Didn't I just say as much? The main point is the max of €1000 in a calendar month, which is relevant to what techman proposed.

I was responding to your earlier post before seeing your later one.

Have opened the 8% account, all very easy as I have found usual with Anglo.

Does anybody know is it still possible to make lodgements to anglo accounts through the Bank of Ireland network? I know it was in the past when I had a 2% (best at time!) account with Anglo.

(I "think" it was something to do with the Anglo sort code being a BOI one, but not sure on this bit. )

I am wondering because I have registered the new a/c with 365online but will take couple of days to get the activation code and I would like to make a lodgement this month.

Does anybody know is the account open from the date of the letter or from date of first payment? I ask because if I don't make a lodgement this month am wondering do I only get 11 months lodgements into the a/c.

Thank. Hope this makes sense.

I would imagine from the date of the letter. But just call them and ask or register for www.angloconnect.com and check. If it's open now then I presume that June is your start month so if you miss it then you will only have 11 months.

Hi all,
Just after opening the 8% account. First time dealing with Anglo. Opted on the application form for electronic transfers. Sent the forms and verification documents on Monday, and this document arrived today called a "confirmation" like a statement, no letter, nothing - it had an account number which didn't seem to match regular bank account no.s and no sorting code, no balance as I aimed to make the first lodgement electronically.
First time dealing with Anglo-Irish as well. Sent the application form along with all requested papers last Tuesday, got a letter with the account number and sort code exactly one week later. The letter is actually dated last Friday, so it was delayed by AnPost rather than the bank. Has already made the first payment from a Halifax current account.

A bit of inconvenience is to register with AngloConnect separately although they have already asked all the same security questions on the account opening form.

A bit of inconvenience is to register with AngloConnect separately although they have already asked all the same security questions on the account opening form.
There's no great benefit to registering with AngloConnect to be honest - especially if you are already getting electronic (email) or printed statements each month anyway.

Am already an anglo customer so have the anglo connect but because get regular statements etc rarely log in so will have to go home and try route out pin.

I will try get to Bank of Ireland before closing and see can I make a lodgement.

Maybe you can still make the initial account opening lodgement by cheque if necessary? I presume the rush here is that you are expecting the electronic transfer to take up to 5 working days or whatever? Or maybe there being a delay on setting up the EFT payee (is it BoI who insist on posting out a PIN before you can finalise this?)?

a bit off topic but does anyone else think its a bit wasteful of anglo to sent a posted statement anytime a lodgement is made to your regular saver? I get one monthly confirming my lodgement

You can change your preference to email communication.

Yes - and they ask you on the application form if you want paper or electronic/email statements!

Yes - and they ask you on the application form if you want paper or electronic/email statements!

didn't know that! the term of my 7% account is just about up, when i apply for the 8% account I'll change my preference!

Maybe you can still make the initial account opening lodgement by cheque if necessary? I presume the rush here is that you are expecting the electronic transfer to take up to 5 working days or whatever? Or maybe there being a delay on setting up the EFT payee (is it BoI who insist on posting out a PIN before you can finalise this?)?

ya its B of I so waiting for pin etc so may not be set up b4 July.
Rang the ever helpfull Anglo and theY confirmed that no problem making a lodgement through Bank of Ireland. Any probs ring back etc. Just love their customer service.

EDIT -Just in Bank of I, u can't do lodgements to anglo anymore unless u have a pre printed lodgement slip, their lodgement slips auto go to B of I accounts, suppose has change since last time I did it.
Anybody know how long it usually takes to get the activation code from Bank of Ireland?

Last edited:

I was just down in BOI and did a manual transfer to my Anglo a/c no problem (and I didn't have any Anglo lodgement docket). Activation code had taken so long from BOI that I missed the standing order payment date for this month :(

I was just down in BOI and did a manual transfer to my Anglo a/c no problem (and I didn't have any Anglo lodgement docket). Activation code had taken so long from BOI that I missed the standing order payment date for this month :(

Sams could u give me more details re what u had to do for a manual transfer? Thanks

Sams could u give me more details re what u had to do for a manual transfer? Thanks

Pator, I just provided details of the a/c to credit (I had the activation code letter which arrived yesterday, but was already past the date of the standing order). BOI Customer Services wrote up an electronic transfer request (not one of your standard dockets) and I signed - that was it. It will take a couple of days to transfer, but should hit the a/c this month (or so I'm told........)

Of course not. Only the first €1K is on deposit for 12 months, the next for 11, the next for 10 etc. If the nominal compounding rate equivalent to the CAR or 8% is x then the formula is

€1K @ x% + €1K @ 11/12 * x% + €1K @ 10/12 * x% etc.

But the calculator is easier to use.

Bit tired and jet laged so am prob missing something big but just can't spot it.
Using the formula above in month 6 the interest rate would be 6/12*8% = 4%
so surely it wouldn't make sense to drip feed from say NR where the money is already getting 5%?

SORRY - In months 7, 8, 9 - 12 the money is also earning a portion of 8% which will add to greater than the 5% mentioned above. Sorry. More coffee. But does mindeoriginal concern kick in around month 10 where the effective rate for the last 3 months is less than 5%?

Last edited:
Back