Anglo Irish Annual Regular Savings Account

Re: Anglo Irish launches new 8% Regular Savings Account

Yes it is but after reading this I am a bit wary of investing too much with them.
dont believe everything you read !!!
If you are an avid reader of the indo - you'll see that Shane Ross regularly slags Anglo off !
Check their financial results if your in doubt. I bank with them and can only say good things about them

It looks like the interest rate on the original 2 year product has dropped to 4.5% from today. New rates are published on p7 of today's Irish Times

Are you sure that the IT isn't simply wrong? I just logged into my account and my Regular Saver Issue 1 account is still paying 7% according to the system.

Are you sure that the IT isn't simply wrong? I just logged into my account and my Regular Saver Issue 1 account is still paying 7% according to the system.

This is an advert taken out by Anglo Irish headed "Personal Savings Interest Rates effective from 7th July 2008".

It refers to 4 different accounts and the 2 Year Regular Saver Account is shown as 4.50% Gross/AER Variable.

Maybe I'm mistaken in my interpretation but if it's an error it's down to Anglo Irish

Thanks. I've also emailed them to confirm. If it is true then time to stop those erstwhile 7% regular saver account lodgements from now until maturity!

Or even close the account and move the lump sum elsewhere?

Of course. Just can't remember what the terms & conditions are and what, if any, penalties might apply to closing/withdrawing as opposed to just stopping contributions.

Bummer - you are correct Crunchie! :( Just got this very prompt reply back from Anglo:
Dear ...,

Many thanks for your e-mail.

It is still at 7% but as of tomorrow it will be at 4.5%.

The new regular saver will remain at 8%

Kind regards

Now to find those T&Cs...

Like you guys I have been investing at the 7% rate with Anglo. NOW where is the best account to transfer the money into and earn a better rate?

See the Financial Best Buys forum and www.itsyourmoney.ie lists of the best rates on offer. If you don't already have an 8% Anglo regular saver then perhaps you should open one for ongoing monthly savings? Read the terms & conditions of all such accounts to ensure that they are compatible with your specific needs.

Thanks Club man. How long will the 8% last ?

Today at work people were on about Sean Quinn loosing €1billion in shares in Anglo and that the bank was in serious trouble. I opened an 8% savings account and the SO begins on the 1st of August.

Is there a chance I could loose what I save with Anglo if the bank does go bust?

Anyone mention that Sean Quinn declared earlier in the week, that he owned 15% of Anglo, and that he was in it for the long term - and in the article that I read on-line, it mentioned that he did not have to declare his interest, but that he did so for clarity.
A Sunday Times article the other week put it that he may have paid €1Bn for his shares, and that they may be worth €500m. So, I don't think that he has lost €1Bn, but he's unlikely to come out and say it publicly.
It sounded like he was backing the bank to the hilt.
( ClubMan's link is a good one for reference all the same)

i rang them and ask, they said if you withdraw in the first 6 month the account automatically closes

"Unlimited withdrawals after 6 months". What are the restrictions for the first 6 months I wonder?

it would cause the account to close, youd still be given all of your interest though.

Back