Anglo Irish Annual Regular Savings Account

Re: Anglo Irish launches new 8% Regular Savings Account

Just print the form off, fill it in and send it in with the necessary documentation (if applicable)?

I can imagine they introduce the 8% saver now to counterbalance all the savers who will collect their savings after the first 2 year term (November).

mine matures on the 28th of august

Mine matures at the end of July.

I've funded the 7% account manually through electronic transfers because it allows me more control than leaving it to a DD/SO (e.g. I can time the monthly payment, skip it or do multiple transfers within a single month if I so choose).

It seams Anglo dont mind EFT
• Once your account is open we will contact you with details of your account number, together with instructions of how to transfer your funds electronically to Anglo Irish Bank.

My 7% A/C actually expires Mon and I had made arrangements to renew from Tues. I got a call from Anglo yesterday (Fri) advising me of the Term changes( 1 yr 8% etc)

From what I could gather the 8% is only an introductory offer and not guaranteed. What is guaranteed is ECB +2%

nansus, by arrangement to renew i take it you mean you were going to set up a new 2 year account at the 7% (prior to this 8% new announcement), with a starting balance of zero? i was wondering about this myself until the new product was announced!

From what I could gather the 8% is only an introductory offer and not guaranteed. What is guaranteed is ECB +2%

If there's no guarantee, is it worth taking the chance and opening one? That said, I suppose the majority of other reg. saver a/c's aren't guaranteed either.

if the rate drops just withdraw the money, thereby closing the account, and get the interest accumulated up to that point. there is no downside in that respect: you aren't tied in.

nansus, by arrangement to renew i take it you mean you were going to set up a new 2 year account at the 7% (prior to this 8% new announcement), with a starting balance of zero? i was wondering about this myself until the new product was announced!

Thats correct

If there's no guarantee, is it worth taking the chance and opening one? That said, I suppose the majority of other reg. saver a/c's aren't guaranteed either.

It is worth opening.
I was only pointing out that it seems the 8% is not guaranteed. I think most posters assumed it was.

My 7% A/C actually expires Mon and I had made arrangements to renew from Tues. I got a call from Anglo yesterday (Fri) advising me of the Term changes( 1 yr 8% etc)

The 7% rate was never guaranteed in full either but they never reduce it. Even ECB + 2% = 6% right now isn't bad and if you don't like it then just close the account and move elsewhere.

Right, I thought I was one of the first who opened this type of account but I was wrong, it was actually on the market for a few months so the first ones mature soon. Makes perfect sense for the bank to introduce the new offer now.
The 7% was never guaranteed either, as Clubman says, I think they even up-ped it, it was initially lower than 7% when I opened it.
What do you all do with the lump sum before you start again with a new 8% account, leave it with Anglo, move it to another bank and drop-feed? Jethro? Gravitygirl? Any concern about Anglo security, if you leave lump sum there?

Fanny

Right, I thought I was one of the first who opened it but I was wrong, it was actually on the market for a few months so the first ones mature soon.
Just to clarify - this thread is about the 8% regular saver which is new and only opened this week. The 7% one has been on the go for nearly two years now. Similar products but even apart from the rate not the same.
I think they even up-ped it, it was initially lower than 7% when I opened it.
Correct. When I opened it they were paying 6.75%.

What do you all do with the lump sum before you start again with a new 8% account
Keep it in the lump sum deposit account offering the best rate - e.g. NR Demand Online 5% on €1K+, FA eSavings 5.22% on up to €15K, Halifax FlexiSaver 5.15% on up to 10K etc. All in the Financial Best Buys lists and on www.itsyourmoney.ie

Thanks for clarifying, Clubman.
I have a Halifax Flexisaver and want to drop-feed the new 8% Anglo saver. I was just wondering if there was a cleverer solution as I cannot set up a standing order from any of the existing lump sum accounts I have and won't have time to manually take it to the bank every month. Any account that earns > 4% out there AND allow a SO? Just in case anyone knows. I'm checking this out looking at other treads at the same time. Regards, Fanny

Thanks for clarifying, Clubman.
I have a Halifax Flexisaver and want to drop-feed the new 8% Anglo saver. I was just wondering if there was a cleverer solution as I cannot set up a standing order from any of the existing lump sum accounts I have and won't have time to manually take it to the bank every month. Any account that earns > 4% out there AND allow a SO? Just in case anyone knows. I'm checking this out looking at other treads at the same time. Regards, Fanny

Anglo dont demand that you to set up a standing order. You can make payments via electronic transfer. I dont know anything about the Halifax Flexisaver account but I transfer money from my First Active E-Savings account (5.22% AER) to my regular saver accounts in Anglo & INBS. I just added both accounts to the list of payees on my E-Savings account & make the payments myself each month. I cant see any reason why a bank would care (or even know) whether its a standing order or manual payment as long as the money enters the account every month.

I have a 7% account with anglo which is not due to mature untill next Feb.
Can I just stop paying into that account and leave it rest untill Feb and open a new 8% account instead?

Can I just stop paying into that account and leave it rest untill Feb and open a new 8% account instead?
Yes.

You can miss one payment without penalty. It's not clear if you can miss more than one. A better option may be to reduce your payments to the minimum (€100) and save the balance into the 8% account.

Back