Anglo Irish Annual Regular Savings Account

Re: Anglo Irish launches new 8% Regular Savings Account

I just opened this account. I Left a voice message and got a call back at 7.45pm. Gave me the new account number over the phone as I was already an existing customer.

I have just opened a NIB 7.35% account on Tuesday. I deposited a grand and set up a SO for €1,000 per month. Would I be better off going back in taking it out out cancelling the DD on monday and putting it in to Anglo? I know 8% is better than 7.35% but there may be other factors

Yes, hence if you want a 2 year account (currently at 7%) you should open it ASAP.

Why could you open an 8% with a monthly SO of 1,000 and a 7% of say 10 and then when the 8% is up after a year transfer what you have saved in to the 7% acc?

I assume you mean Irish Nationwide, not NIB?

Generally you can't make lump sum lodgements to regular saver accounts. So you can't move accumulated balances from one regular saver into another. This is why short term offers like 8% (from Anglo) or 10% (from AIB) may not be as attractive as longer term accounts where you have a chance to build up a decent balance, albeit at a slightly lower rate.

Theres no regular saver account with a high rate that goes beyond june 09 so if your saving regularly youd be better off putting it in to Anglo right?

I have just opened a NIB 7.35% account on Tuesday. I deposited a grand and set up a SO for €1,000 per month. Would I be better off going back in taking it out out cancelling the DD on monday and putting it in to Anglo? I know 8% is better than 7.35% but there may be other factors

As part of the T & C's of opening a new savings account you are usually given 14 days where you can close the account without any penalties.

I just opened one of the 8% accounts
As I had the 7% account it took a minute
Changed a digit number as to the other account
All over the telephone

All over the telephone
I tried that (I'm an existing 7% RSA account holder) and they told me that I'd have to wait until Monday when the forms are on their website... :(

I did this about 20 minutes ago I rang 01 6162494

the form is on the website! [broken link removed]

I tried that (I'm an existing 7% RSA account holder) and they told me that I'd have to wait until Monday when the forms are on their website...

Me too :(

Can you not just go in to the branch and set it up, give them a grand and set up a SO for the first of every other month?

I've funded the 7% account manually through electronic transfers because it allows me more control than leaving it to a DD/SO (e.g. I can time the monthly payment, skip it or do multiple transfers within a single month if I so choose).

I tried to set this up once yesterday and once today. Both times I was told to wait until monday. I was hoping to open it so that I could synch my SOs for tomorrow. Then I realised I can make my deposit in the 8% whenever I like this month and then put it on the SO for next month. I can sleep easy for the weekend now.

All over the telephone

Same as myself, gave me a new account number with the last digit changed. Tool less then a minute. Lodged 1000 euro by electronic transfer today.

The minimum rate for this account is ECB + 2% so it is probably unlikely to be raised above 8% if the ECB raise their interest rate as expected next month whereas other reg savers will automatically be raised.

I have a 7% Regular Saver with Anglo. I was going to take it all out in October (closing one month earlier) as I was abit concerned about Anglo's liquidity.
I can imagine they introduce the 8% saver now to counterbalance all the savers who will collect their savings after the first 2 year term (November). Sounds like a good plan to keep the customers. My experience with the bank is very positive so far, however, as only 20K are guaranteed (just 90%) I'm looking for the best account to invest the lump sum (16.000EUR) of the 7% saver and then drop-feed re-invest some of it into Anglo's 8%. The lump sum account should be an account that allows a standing order to Anglo.

Fanny

The minimum rate for this account is ECB + 2% so it is probably unlikely to be raised above 8% if the ECB raise their interest rate as expected next month whereas other reg savers will automatically be raised.
ECB increases will only impact the rate payable if the ECB rate rises it's current value of 4% to more than 6% in the next year or so!

Went into the Cork branch today to just ask about the account. The woman on reception didn't have a clue and asked me to take a seat for a few minutes. Fifteen minutes later I still hadn't been seen. I went back up to her and she informed me that they were short staffed and someone would see me soon. I walked out. They obviously don't want the business...

Back