AirBnB 'restrictions' will create 12k rental homes?

Is it mobile? If it was right beside you then how could someone build even closer?

Stop being unnecessarily pedantic. I've already clarified how close it is. If in another universe it was 100 metres from me, it would be both right beside me and still possible to have someone else in between.

A tax return is a far more complex matter. Planning isn't that complex and change of use is the simplest form. You have the benefit of being able to see everyone else's homework and all related correspondence, all published online for anyone to view for free. You don't get to do that with a tax return.
A tax return can also in certain circumstances be the simplest form imaginable. And it isn't in the public domain for members of the public to object to its contents.

Last edited:
Stop being unnecessarily pedantic. I've already clarified how close it is.
OK, so let's just cut to the chase. Most people would consider it a good thing that there are laws in place that ensure the appropriateness of any business for a particular location is considered. Most consider it a good thing that they have a means of having their opinions included in such consideration. Let's face it, the majority of people would not chose to live beside a business that impacts upon their enjoyment of their property.

A tax return can also in certain circumstances be the simplest form imaginable. And it isn't in the public domain for members of the public to object to its contents.
OK so, and do you think that completing the simplest of tax returns is 'uneconomic and burdensome' for business owners?

Let's face it, the majority of people would not chose to live beside a business that impacts upon their enjoyment of their property.
Everyone wants to fossilise the built environment the way it was when they were 15 or so. This is nice in individual cases, but utterly disastrous when implemented at scale. You can't make economic and social progress without new buildings and/or changes of use.

In my (non-expert) view the Irish planning system gives too much weight to people who want to preserve the status quo and makes changing things expensive and time-consuming.

OK, so let's just cut to the chase. Most people would consider it a good thing that there are laws in place that ensure the appropriateness of any business for a particular location is considered. Most consider it a good thing that they have a means of having their opinions included in such consideration. Let's face it, the majority of people would not chose to live beside a business that impacts upon their enjoyment of their property.
Where is this going? Aren't we supposed to avoid derailing threads with nonsense like the following? (Everyone knows that the simplest of tax returns are the ones where there's no business activity. You know that too, but you use it as a red herring thinking you can thus score a rhetorical point.)
OK so, and do you think that completing the simplest of tax returns is 'uneconomic and burdensome' for business owners?

Everyone wants to fossilise the built environment the way it was when they were 15 or so. This is nice in individual cases, but utterly disastrous when implemented at scale. You can't make economic and social progress without new buildings and/or changes of use.

In my (non-expert) view the Irish planning system gives too much weight to people who want to preserve the status quo and makes changing things expensive and time-consuming.
I agree 100%, our planning system need a serious overhaul, local authorities who are dependent on local votes should have far less sway in matters of national importance.

That said, it should never change to the point where anyone can develop what they like where they like.

Where is this going? Aren't we supposed to avoid derailing threads with nonsense like the following? (Everyone knows that the simplest of tax returns are the ones where there's no business activity. You know that too, but you use it as a red herring thinking you can thus score a rhetorical point.)
You raised the red herring!!! If it wasn't intended as a red herring, please elaborate on why you raised tax returns in the context of change of use applications?

Perhaps you might also explain what 'uneconomic and burdensome' costs you think are involved in submitting a change of use application?

You raised the red herring!!! If it wasn't intended as a red herring, please elaborate on why you raised tax returns in the context of change of use applications?

Perhaps you might also explain what 'uneconomic and burdensome' costs you think are involved in submitting a change of use application?
No, I've been previously requested to opt of out of rabbithole discussions and I'm happy to abide by that. It is perfectly legitimate to mention an analogy in the course of a discussion but pointless to participate in the later interrogation of that analogy in ludicrous terms as you attempted to initiate.

Last edited:
That said, it should never change to the point where anyone can develop what they like where they like.
I agree.

I think local authorities (or some other public body) should act pro-actively with using CPO for site assembly, utility provision, etc, as well rather than just zoning and then waiting for it to happen.

No, I've been previously requested to opt of out of rabbithole discussions and I'm happy to abide by that. It is perfectly legitimate to mention an analogy in the course of a discussion but pointless to participate in the later interrogation of that analogy in ludicrous terms as you attempted to initiate.
Then stop digging the holes. Submitting a change of use to short-term letting is a simple form that does not require professional support. It's not in the same league as permission for a development requiring professionally prepared construction diagrams or site maps.

Then stop digging the holes. Submitting a change of use to short-term letting is a simple form that does not require professional support. It's not in the same league as permission for a development requiring professionally prepared construction diagrams or site maps.
Whatever.

It's still inarguable that the primary motivation behind the law to make it mandatory for Airbnb-type let properties to have appropriate planning permission is to make it more difficult and unattractive for property owners to let out these properties for short-term accommodation.

Last edited:
Whatever.
Are we agreed that submitting a change of use application for short term lets is trivial and not 'uneconomic and burdensome'?

Whatever.

It's still inarguable that the primary motivation behind the law to make it mandatory for Airbnb-type let properties to have appropriate planning permission is to make it more difficult and unattractive for property owners to let out these properties for short-term accommodation.
You've just exposed that you haven't even read the proposed bill, let alone understood the content!

The requirement for dedicated short term let or holiday accommodation to have specific planning for such use isn't new. There are no proposed changes to that requirement and home owners are still permitted to let all or part of their property for up to 90 days without triggering the need for planning.

It is the proposed register that is new along making it an offence to advertise an unregistered property for short term let in an RPZ, and giving the minister the power to introduce fines for non compliance at a later stage. It's a reaction to so many choosing to ignore the existing law and make enforcement a far less onerous task.

Are we agreed that submitting a change of use application for short term lets is trivial and not 'uneconomic and burdensome'?

You've just exposed that you haven't even read the proposed bill, let alone understood the content!

The requirement for dedicated short term let or holiday accommodation to have specific planning for such use isn't new. There are no proposed changes to that requirement and home owners are still permitted to let all or part of their property for up to 90 days without triggering the need for planning.

It is the proposed register that is new along making it an offence to advertise an unregistered property for short term let in an RPZ, and giving the minister the power to introduce fines for non compliance at a later stage. It's a reaction to so many choosing to ignore the existing law and make enforcement a far less onerous task.
I don't care. This has been done to death. I'm tired of your nitpicking and am moving on.

I don't care. This has been done to death. I'm tired of your nitpicking and am moving on.
I think it's offensive to characterise a desire for accuracy as nitpicking. It's important in a debate on proposed legislation to stick to the proposed legislation and not something that has been in place for years.

LOL https://m.independent.ie/irish-news...mbdown-after-intervention-by-eu-42422848.html

Rural Airbnb owners in tourism hotspots are set to escape strict new regulations for short-term letting after the EU forced the Government into a climbdown.

Rural Airbnbs in Rent Pressure Zones (RPZs) will not have to apply for planning permission in areas with populations under 5,000.

The softening of the rules comes after the EU Commission raised serious concerns over how new Irish laws aiming to clamp down on Airbnbs would apply “indiscriminately” to rural and urban properties.

The EU Commission took issue especially with the proposed laws from Tourism Minister Catherine Martin not being “geographically limited to densely populated areas where short-term rentals are more likely to have a significant inflationary effect on the price of long-term renting”.

It is understood the Government will row back on the proposals, which were deemed too restrictive.

Still a bonkers notion that magically property owners will switch from AirBnB to long term rental.
Yes, but to the objective here is to screw property owners, not expand the long term rental stock. These people hate rental property owners' guts. They've had the upper hand in dictating policy in this area for the past 14 years and it's brought nothing but abject shortages of rental availability and increasingly abject misery for those who wish to live in them.

Yes, but to the objective here is to screw property owners, not expand the long term rental stock. These people hate rental property owners' guts. They've had the upper hand in dictating policy in this area for the past 14 years and it's brought nothing but abject shortages of rental availability and increasingly abject misery for those who wish to live in them.
+1.

Couldn't agree more. The beatings (of landlords) will continue until morale improves. The improvement in morale will encourage landlords to continue in the renting business. It would be funny if it wasn't so stupid and self-defeating.

Still a bonkers notion that magically property owners will switch from AirBnB to long term rental.
Some will choose to sell, some will let as long term. Won't come anywhere near addressing the real root cause of course.

Am I reading this correctly... the majority of Airbnb hosts are knowningly continuing to operate short-term letting, without proper permission?
The fines need to be far higher, and collected by Revenue at source.
Yes, and in some cases in purpose built units without planning permission either.

Some will choose to sell, some will let as long term. Won't come anywhere near addressing the real root cause of course.
The beneficiary will be those wishing to buy. The great white hope is that if enough existing tenants currently stuck in the PRS buy they will release some properties for poorer renters. The reality, obviously, is more complicated. But realising underutilised and holiday rentals that are not designated holiday homes to live in would have some impact. The problem is that impact will be very small.

Back