AirBnB 'restrictions' will create 12k rental homes?

DannyBoyD

What planet are they living on? There may be valid reasons to require permission / registration to run an AirBnB rental.

But by what stretch of the imagination do our politicians believe that if you are stopped from running an AirBnB you will move to long term rental? Much more likely you'd either shut up shop or just sell.

Have the government said they expect all the rental properties freed up will become long-term lets? What I've read suggest they acknowledge many will apply for change of use permission and a percentage of those will be successful and more will be sold to become PPRs.

You may be getting caught up with an attention-seeking click-bait headline.

Am I reading this correctly... the majority of Airbnb hosts are knowningly continuing to operate short-term letting, without proper permission?
The fines need to be far higher, and collected by Revenue at source.

What planet are they living on? There may be valid reasons to require permission / registration to run an AirBnB rental.

But by what stretch of the imagination do our politicians believe that if you are stopped from running an AirBnB you will move to long term rental? Much more likely you'd either shut up shop or just sell.
1000%

They are completely different businesses.

It’s like trying to ban motor racing in the hope that the drivers will drive taxis instead.

Am I reading this correctly... the majority of Airbnb hosts are knowningly continuing to operate short-term letting, without proper permission?
Ridiculous response.

The reason short term lets are a thing at all is because in most or almost all cases either the property itself or the owners situation mean that residential letting is not at all feasible.

The idea that owners should not only be punished but pursued by Revenue, who by way of comparison have no function whatsoever in collecting court- or local authority-mandated fines, is risible.

Last edited:
Ridiculous response.

The reason short term lets are a thing at all is because in most or almost all cases either the property itself or the owners situation mean that residential letting is not at all feasible.

The idea that owners should not only be punished but pursued by Revenue, who by way of comparison have no function whatsoever in collecting court- or local authority-mandated fines, is risible.
Airbnb lets are contributing to the country by giving tourists a place to stay. Remove that and where do tourists stay? If tourists don't come here, they'll go elsewhere and our local business will lose out. Hotels are expensive and have less availability due to the current issues occurring in other parts of the world. Also anyone with an airbnb is already paying up to 52% rent. Do you want them to pay more?

Yes, they are breaking the law, either wilfully or through ignorance. There have been a small number of cases that were widely reported where the LAs took enforcement action, but many are still just chancing their arm.

Maybe the law is an ass, but with no enforcement even the best drafter laws or regulations are also an ass.
Planning enforcement and compliance in this country is really poor. I know of a case of PP granted which specifically stated a garage conversion could not be let out and it was immediately let out as an airbnb. 4 yrs later the garage is still let out. No inspection of the finished build which does no match plans submitted for approval was ever performed.

Maybe the law is an ass, but with no enforcement even the best drafter laws or regulations are also an ass.
Planning enforcement and compliance in this country is really poor. I know of a case of PP granted which specifically stated a garage conversion could not be let out and it was immediately let out as an airbnb. 4 yrs later the garage is still let out. No inspection of the finished build which does no match plans submitted for approval was ever performed.
What's that phrase about willing the ends but not the means... the Government are bringing in all these rules etc without regard to how they can be or will be implemented.

When the law is an ass, of course people will disrespect it, as they should.
You obviously don't live in a development where your quality of life has been severely impacted by constant parties and noisy guests.

Would you be OK if I disregarded that same law and opened an abattoir or landfill right beside your house?

If a property is suitable for use as a short term let, what's the big deal with just getting planning to do so?

You obviously don't live in a development where your quality of life has been severely impacted by constant parties and noisy guests.
Aren't there existing laws against that? If your long term renter or owner-occupier neighbour is causing you a nuisance of that nature, don't you have recourse?
Would you be OK if I disregarded that same law and opened an abattoir or landfill right beside your house?
Ironically, there is a meat and bonemeal rendering facility within a kilometre of my house. During the BSE scares, it was also used to burn suspected infected carcasses - without additional planning permission.

The place sometimes stinks far and wide especially in hot weather and the big trucks coming and going are a pain but the EPA keeps an eye on it and we live with it. I and my neighbours don't campaign for all such places to be banned as we recognise that it's an essential if unpleasant service that has to be done somewhere,
If a property is suitable for use as a short term let, what's the big deal with just getting planning to do so?
Because everyone knows that the reason for requiring permission in the first place is to make it uneconomic and burdensome for owners to offer Airbnb services in the first instance.

Last edited:
Aren't there existing laws against that? If your long term renter or owner-occupier neighbour is causing you a nuisance of that nature, don't you have recourse?
In theory yes, in reality no. the Gardai eventually say it's a civil matter and the local authorities generally have no interest.

Because everyone knows that the reason for requiring permission in the first place is to make it uneconomic and burdensome for owners to offer Airbnb services in the first instance.
The cost of submitting a change of use is dwarfed by AirBnB's fees.

In theory yes, in reality no. the Gardai eventually say it's a civil matter and the local authorities generally have no interest.
Well try fixing that then. Don't demand that every two-bit gouger needs planning permission if they want to move in next door to you or I.
The cost of submitting a change of use is dwarfed by AirBnB's fees.
Come on, you know full well that obtaining planning permission for anything costs far more than the pittance they charge as submission fee.

Last edited:
Well try fixing that then. Don't demand that every two-bit gouger needs planning permission if they want to move in next door to you or I.
So you think people should be allowed do what they like with a property and to hell with their neighbours? You would be absolutely fine if that rendering facility moved right beside you?

Come on, you know full well that obtaining planning permission for anything costs far more than the pittance they charge as submission fee.
What costs do you think are involved in preparing the submission of what is a pretty straight forward form?

So you think people should be allowed do what they like with a property and to hell with their neighbours? You would be absolutely fine if that rendering facility moved right beside you?

It is right beside me. And one of my closest neighbours is currently building a house even closer to it.

We get on with it.
What costs do you think are involved in preparing the submission of what is a pretty straight forward form?

Ah the old "how on earth can you justify charging a thousand euro for completing a tax return. You'd do it in 5 minutes" argument.

We all know that negotiating any planning process involves much more than filling a straightforward form

It is right beside me. And one of my closest neighbours is currently building a house even closer to it.

We get on with it.
Is it mobile? If it was right beside you then how could someone build even closer?

Ah the old "how on earth can you justify charging a thousand euro for completing a tax return. You'd do it in 5 minutes" argument.

We all know that negotiating any planning process is much more than filling a straightforward form
A tax return is a far more complex matter. Planning isn't that complex and change of use is the simplest form. You have the benefit of being able to see everyone else's homework and all related correspondence, all published online for anyone to view for free. You don't get to do that with a tax return.

Back