Affordable Housing Process/Plans South Dublin CC

Originally Posted by kobam http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showthread.php?p=569965#post569965
I am not sure if you have been allocated affordable or not as at moment. If not i heard news that distribution coming up this week at Adamstown. Check this out please, you might be lucky.

I rang property path today and got the usual story about there being a 12-18 months wait for all units and i would have to wait till i was issued with a letter from property path inviting me to view a property. I attempted to enquire about adamstown but was told nothing. i would love to get adamstown though.... all other council areas are so active and a lot of poeple seem to be getting various offers...anybody any news on this?????

Jenben, did you apply for the normal AH list or the initiative? I've heard that there are apts on the initiative scheme that are being done on first come first serve basis and once your application is processed you have a viewing within a week.

Hi Lucie27
That's true about the initiative. I enquired on a wed or thurs, emailed over my application and had a viewing the following tuesday! That was the beginning of february and at this stage I've had the apt snagged and hope to close in a couple of weeks! It's amazing how fast it can move sometimes!

Thanks Colsku! It's in Saggart. I was kind of looking in the area but wasn't positive as it's a good bit away from home and I am working in the city centre! But I didn;t want to let the opportunity pass me by and now I can't wait to move in and have my on space! Whereabouts are you looking at? Have you been on the list for long? Is there anyway you could go for the Initiative?

Last edited:
JenBen do you have any savings? Sometimes they are willing to take that into consideration? Or include overtime or bonuses etc in salary? That is very frustrating because you could definitely get a two bed apt for less than 230k on the initiative! I hope something comes up for you!

Hey jenben, i am in the same position as you. They are very strict about the 45,000. I have been waiting 13 months (AND COUNTING) and i have 25,000. i save and pay in rent the eqivelent of 1000 mortgage a month. Still waiting!!!! after xmas i rang and they said they may offer me something between easter and the summer (of 2012). hahaha.Well done to those who got a place through the intiative and are them units always over 200,000 though its frustrating to hear that you get through so quickly while i sit and wait and wait and wait and wait :(

Hey jenben, i am in the same position as you. They are very strict about the 45,000. I have been waiting 13 months (AND COUNTING) and i have 25,000. i save and pay in rent the eqivelent of 1000 mortgage a month. Still waiting!!!! after xmas i rang and they said they may offer me something between easter and the summer (of 2012). hahaha.Well done to those who got a place through the intiative and are them units always over 200,000 though its frustrating to hear that you get through so quickly while i sit and wait and wait and wait and wait :(

13 months .. that doesnt sound promising. I called them there and told her I was already approved for 230k and she said theres far too many people who can actually afford the inititiave properties but do not have the required 45k salary. She said coming into the Summer they will hopefully have a new scheme whereby you will need a salary around the 35k mark and it will speed up the applications.

In relation to me being on the list ten months she said I should start getting offers within the next 2months but I cant see how if you are on the list 13!!

i noticed from your earlier thread that you were looking for something south of the nass road. I am waiting for something north of the nass road so there may be more available on your side so hence you getting offered quicker than me.... ill ring them now and check it out.... i seen on property path Adamstown apartments for 228,000.... i still think thats a lot to pay on a mortgage on your own... what do you think????

i noticed from your earlier thread that you were looking for something south of the nass road. I am waiting for something north of the nass road so there may be more available on your side so hence you getting offered quicker than me.... ill ring them now and check it out.... i seen on property path Adamstown apartments for 228,000.... i still think thats a lot to pay on a mortgage on your own... what do you think????

Thats true thereare far more properties on the Tallaght side from what I can see.

EUR228k is ok to be honest, its around 1050 after tax relief and I would rent out a room anyway.

Let me know what Property path say!

Jenben and Luckyellie... some of the banks can also make it more manageable with certain schemes aimed at FTBs. I am going with EBS and they offer you the option of making 90% of your repayment for the first (up to) 3 years... and then making up the difference from year 4 on. It means my initial repayments are about 800-850 after tax relief and will then go up to approx 1100 (obv dependant on interest rates), but by then I would hope my salary will have increased also.

Thats Handy MissG, cause other FTB's are offered Interest only and other perks like deferred payments etc

hey, I am in category 1 thats under 40,000. There is more property available in category 2 over 40,000. its only really affordable to some poeple like couples or those earning over 45,000. There may be some news for me in the next few months.why wont they tell you where you are on your list?????... I can only get approved of 185,000 -205000. I dont want to borrow much more than that to be honest. Just sit back and wait again...must put on the lotto tonight:):)

hey miss g, ill try ebs, that 800-850 sounds very manageable. Do you mind me asking what was your purchase price?

Back