92% of people yet to register for household charge

Status
Not open for further replies.

wow - its a lot lower than I would have thought at this stage. I wonder does that figure include the numbers who have posted it in?

I feel the media is being confusing about numbers. There was an initial figure of 1.8 million with 1.73 million liable for the charge being bandied about:
here

Then various media began using the figure of 1.6 million to make the percentage comparison:
[broken link removed]

And its not usually reported if the figures used are those registered or those paid, one would assume that some registrations are those with waivers.

Well I paid this morning. Very easy and now have a receipt in both English and Irish.

I've seen many arguments on why people will not pay, so far I've not read one good one. Some of them downright riduculous. And the penalties are enough for me to know it's just plain stupid not to pay it.

If the people are angry at the government then next election vote them out. In the meantime write to the politicians and complain not about the charge but about the lack of accountability, the waste, the incompetence of the local council etc. They will eventually get the message. If people wasted half as much energy on writing letters complaining about services as they do on this charge we would have a much better country. How about a campaign to clear up the local authorities, merge them, and get the facts and figures on where the money goes. How much they pay for each and every item in the public domain. Then we'd cut down on waste.

And for all those who can pay but won't pay, well your just plain and simply selfish and the rest of us are paying for you and that ain't right.

What happens if more than 50% of households don't pay?
We elect governments every 5 years to run the country, but what if the government brings in a law during the 5 years that a majority of people object to. Is this democracy?

I'm just thinking back to when governments have done u-turns and said they got it wrong in areas like the septic tanks, cuts to diasbility and OAP medical cards.

What happens if more than 50% of households don't pay?
We elect governments every 5 years to run the country, but what if the government brings in a law during the 5 years that a majority of people object to. Is this democracy?

I'm just thinking back to when governments have done u-turns and said they got it wrong in areas like the septic tanks, cuts to diasbility and OAP medical cards.

I think the hope is that if the majority do not pay, it will be unenforceable in any practical way (take too long, cost too much etc...) and that the government will have to u turn.

You are correct, there have been u turns in the past. I suggested as such on this site before and Brendan answered me with 'so what'.

I've seen many arguments on why people will not pay, so far I've not read one good one. Some of them downright riduculous. And the penalties are enough for me to know it's just plain stupid not to pay it. Bronte

I totally agree with this.
I have paid mine but only because its the law of the land and my vote will speak on that.

They will need my vote.

For services:
I paid for Water in Meath for years while across the county line my friends paid nothing.........difference in service none.

I paid Car Tax for years.......does it improve the roads I use......NO
I pay huge taxes on Petrol.......Ditto
I paid the PMPA levy on my insurance.......did it improve regulation.......NO
Don't forget all the other taxes and levies collected..........VAT on everything (nearly)
Don't forget the robbery of cash from retirement accounts.
Don't forget all the other new charges.

This is just another TAX, plain and simple..............

I am going to pay later on today, but think a lot of people will wait until Monday so see how many have paid by the deadline. It would be very difficult to see someone being charged for being a day late. That way they can wait and see if there's a U turn etc

Whatever about the rights and wrongs of the tax tax itself, this whole excerise was a complete shambles. I don't understand why they are so adament that the tax has to be paid by the 31st March considering the tax covers the whole of 2012. Just extend it and deal with some of the payment issues that people have. A lot of people still won't pay but it would stop this daily countdown that doesn't help.

Their other problem now is the Phil Hogan is a political liability to FG. Have to admit that afer listening to him a few times, I would be tempted to tell him where to stick his household charge.

Their other problem now is the Phil Hogan is a political liability to FG. Have to admit that afer listening to him a few times, I would be tempted to tell him where to stick his household charge
Discussed his radio interviews with some colleagues this morning. It appears that he came across as arrogant and bullying and some of those who were about to pay the household charge in the next day or so are now stating that they will not do so, just to prove that they are not being intimidated.
His approach is not ideal & the Government do need to rein him in. He has not covered himself in glory in his handling of this issue and should now consider eating some humble pie.

The government have said if it is not paid, they will have to increase taxation. If it's only €2 a week, why not just increase tax by this amount and deduct €2 a week of the dole and OAP?
It's all going into a central fund anyway.

Well I paid this morning. Very easy and now have a receipt in both English and Irish.

Why is it not in polish too, there are more polish speakers here than irish. Usual irish government crap policies..

Why is it not in polish too, there are more polish speakers here than irish. Usual irish government crap policies..

Because Irish and English are the two official languages in Ireland. It's tough luck if you aren't literate in either of those.

The government have said if it is not paid, they will have to increase taxation. If it's only €2 a week, why not just increase tax by this amount and deduct €2 a week of the dole and OAP?
It's all going into a central fund anyway.

I think they will being in all of these new taxes/levies/whatever and then income tax increases and dole/OAP cuts will happen..

The latest figures, as of midday today.

The latest figures from the Department of the Environment show that 453,796, or around 28% of the estimated 1.6 million households, have paid the controversial tax.

It gives a breakdown:
Here is a breakdown of how the money has been collected so far:

Direct Debits Bureau: €408,700
Cards Bureau: €1,595,500
Cheques/PO's/bank drafts bureau: €5,409,500
Cards online: €34,155,500
Direct Debits Online: €3,810,400

Processed Online 84%
Processed by Bureau 16%

Again i have to say if it is a payment going towards services how come only homeowners have to pay
will homeowners only be allowed to use the libraries and parks. Will council tenants and renters be banned from said amenities.
Again the homeowner is being made to suffer and have to pay for everything again .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back