3 bank holidays in a row

There have always been two extra bank holidays that are not public holidays.

Good Friday
27-Dec

Banks and PO are closed those two days.
When Christmas Eve fell on a weekend Bank of Ireland staff and I'm sure staff in other Banks got an additional days leave in the following year .

Having visited BOI today there ATM was not accepting lodgements only withdrawals which makes paying a CC bill today impossible
You can easily do it by electronic transfer. Set up your credit card company as a payee and then transfer the payment to them every month. Bank branches will be a thing of the past. It is important you know how to pay bills online or have them all on direct debit.

I wouldn't work those particular days, if it was just double pay.

In fact, I don't think I'd agree to work those days, if it was 5x my standard daily rate.

I wonder if the original poster would be willing to pay a sizeable premium on the usual handling fee, to do their lodgement on one of those particular three days (in acknowledgment of the additional cost of getting staff to work on those particular days) ?

Personally, I think that the original poster needs to accept that they should have been better prepared.

Last edited:
Time we rediscovered the postal service. Envelope, stamp & a saunter to the post box would have taken 10 mins.

It is extremely annoying that the Irish Banks do not utilise this existing technology
The Photograph
for lodging a cheque, while used elsewhere.

It is extremely annoying that the Irish Banks do not utilise this existing technology
The Photograph
for lodging a cheque, while used elsewhere.
We have the technology to do a lot of things better in Banking, but for various reasons, we (sadly) don't use it.

While Ulster Bank have rolled out some additional features on their app over the last few months, I'd say it's highly unlikely that we'll see them do much more, now that they are exiting the market.

In a country that's trying to reduce the use of cheques, I doubt that other banks will introduce the ability to upload a copy of a cheque, in order to lodge it, but no harm asking the other banks, and even referring the link that you've provide, Itchy.

Last edited:
On Wednesday 29 I tried to call BoI Mortgages and got a message "we are closed. Our opening hours are Monday to Friday" which was kind of confusing.

It wasn't urgent but I thought it was a bit weird that they didn't have a specific message to explain why there was no service. I got through today no problem.

It’s amusing to hear about people who want to focus on their own “life admin” while they’re off and who seem to feel inconvenienced by other people being off.

Who in their right mind needs to lodge a cheque between Christmas and New Year?

Either be better prepared or just wait until next week.

It’s as if people want something closer to a private banking service but don’t want to pay for it.

In branch banking and cheques should be a thing of the past.

It’s effectively the very elderly (i.e. 85+) and the black economy keeping them going.

It’s amusing to hear about people who want to focus on their own “life admin” while they’re off and who seem to feel inconvenienced by other people being off.

Who in their right mind needs to lodge a cheque between Christmas and New Year?

Either be better prepared or just wait until next week.

It’s as if people want something closer to a private banking service but don’t want to pay for it.

In branch banking and cheques should be a thing of the past.

It’s effectively the very elderly (i.e. 85+) and the black economy keeping them going.
I have a right to lodge a cheque anytime I want - that is what the automatic cheque lodgment facility via an ATM is provided for that that is what I am paying bank charges for. The point I was making is that banks are withdrawing services by closing branches and not bothering to replace them with alternatives - in the case of my cheque lodgments difficulties they have not bothered to maintain these ATM facilities.

Incidentally I have been trying to lodge my cheque for the whole month of December and because I pass the Merrion Road and Stillorgan Road Bank of Ireland branches regularly I tried both of these on several occasions during the month and they were never working. So finally I was forced to go into St Stephen's Green to lodge the cheque. This is simply a dreadful service.

I fell foul of these "Bank Holidays" back in 2004,

Flew to New York on 26th of December for a bit of shopping, ringing in the new year in Times Square and proposing to Miss C.
That night while putting my CC into a new wallet my the card snapped in half and IIRC we didn't have debit cards then.

So a quick phone call to Mastercard and within 24 hours there was a replacement card for me at hotel reception
But for some reason it didn't work kept been rejected by retailers, turns out it has to be switched on by the issuing bank who of course where on holidays and weren't going to be able to authorise the card for at least a couple of days
So luckily herself had a card and she got an introduction into my shopping habits as she had to follow me around paying for everything
Anyhow card got switched on a day before we left and had a new card shortly after we returned

Happened to mention it to my business manager in my branch and she told me to write a letter of complaint to BOI Credit cards
Which I did and got a letter back apologising for any inconvenience to me and if I'd like to take my new fiancé out for a meal, I could send them the receipt and they would refund the amount to my CC by way of apology

As it happened we were going out to dinner with a few friends to celebrate our engagement, nothing too fancy but when the bill arrived for €600,
I put it all on the CC and sent it off to BOI not expecting them to pay the full amount but they did :D

trying to lodge my cheque for the whole month of December
That is without doubt the silliest thing I've read this year. Granted the Year is still young, so you have the opportunity to be outdone yet.

Do you have an antipathy towards the postal service, or did it simply not occur to you to find another solution?

I have a right to lodge a cheque anytime I want

Really?

Is that a God given right, or a right from an individual service contract that you've signed with your Bank, or something else?

Seriously, your on a website that is very much "pro consumer", and yet the large majority here are telling you that you are wrong about this one. You need to think about that...

Put a written complaint into the Bank, and include mention of "your right", see what response you get. You may well get an apology, I doubt that you'll get compensation, and I think you'll find that the Bank doesn't agree about your "rights".

If you aren't happy with the formal response to your complaint from the Bank, ask for their final response and then, take your complaint to the Ombudsman. You might win, but I seriously doubt that you will.

I fell foul of these "Bank Holidays" back in 2004,

Flew to New York on 26th of December for a bit of shopping, ringing in the new year in Times Square and proposing to Miss C.
That night while putting my CC into a new wallet my the card snapped in half and IIRC we didn't have debit cards then.

So a quick phone call to Mastercard and within 24 hours there was a replacement card for me at hotel reception
But for some reason it didn't work kept been rejected by retailers, turns out it has to be switched on by the issuing bank who of course where on holidays and weren't going to be able to authorise the card for at least a couple of days
So luckily herself had a card and she got an introduction into my shopping habits as she had to follow me around paying for everything
Anyhow card got switched on a day before we left and had a new card shortly after we returned

Happened to mention it to my business manager in my branch and she told me to write a letter of complaint to BOI Credit cards
Which I did and got a letter back apologising for any inconvenience to me and if I'd like to take my new fiancé out for a meal, I could send them the receipt and they would refund the amount to my CC by way of apology

As it happened we were going out to dinner with a few friends to celebrate our engagement, nothing too fancy but when the bill arrived for €600,
I put it all on the CC and sent it off to BOI not expecting them to pay the full amount but they did :D
I'm surprised she married you Dude

I have a right to lodge a cheque anytime I want……

Incidentally I have been trying to lodge my cheque for the whole month of December…..
Clearly you are dealing with the wrong type of bank. If you wish I can recommend a more appropriate private bank that will:
- send a courier to collect the cheque from you
- deliver cash to you directly so you can avoid those pesky ATMs
- personalized cheque book, several designs available
- car service to visit the bank
- hotel booking services
- Free tickets for events such as World Cup, Wimbledon, Olympics etc
- a dedicated client adviser
- a birthday card or have the client adviser call you to deliver their best wishes [your choice]
- anything else you want so long as it does not include borrowing money from them
- family office services if desired

All for very reasonable fees and AUM requirements.

Dec 2
I have a right to lodge a cheque anytime I want - that is what the automatic cheque lodgment facility via an ATM is provided for that that is what I am paying bank charges for. The point I was making is that banks are withdrawing services by closing branches and not bothering to replace them with alternatives - in the case of my cheque lodgments difficulties they have not bothered to maintain these ATM facilities.

Incidentally I have been trying to lodge my cheque for the whole month of December and because I pass the Merrion Road and Stillorgan Road Bank of Ireland branches regularly I tried both of these on several occasions during the month and they were never working. So finally I was forced to go into St Stephen's Green to lodge the cheque. This is simply a dreadful service.
It wouldn't have made a difference when and where you lodged the cheque, it still would not have been processed by BoI cheque clearing until the 30th at the earliest and if it was drawn on another bank, BoI would not have exchanged value with that bank until the 31st. That's because the inter bank financial exchange was closed on the 27th, 28th and 29th. Possibly it might have appeared on your statement earlier but it would not be cleared funds.

I think the service from the banks is truly dreadful. In the absence of any branch being open I had to visit three Bank of Ireland lodgment ATMs before I could find one which was working in order to lodge a cheque.
It amused me, a few years ago before retirement my wages were paid in to my bank account were delayed on bank holiday, the computer system took bank Holidays. Is it the same now?

Last edited:
It amused me, a few years ago before retirement my wages were paid in to my bank account were delayed on bank holiday, the computer system took bank Holidays. Is it the same now?
it's largely driven by the TARGET system, the financial settlement system used across the Eurozone. Bear in mind, that when your wages are credited to your bank account and your employer is debited, that money also needs to get sent (assuming you bank at different banks) from one bank to another. Target and similar exchanges are used to facilitate this. This is to maintain a banks liquidity.

Back