3 bank holidays in a row

There have always been two extra bank holidays that are not public holidays.

Good Friday
27-Dec

Banks and PO are closed those two days.

What would you need a bank branch for? All the online facilities are working.

• Sunday 26th December, Monday 27th December, Tuesday 28th December & 29th December 2021 – All Branches Closed

Having visited BOI today there ATM was not accepting lodgements only withdrawals which makes paying a CC bill today impossible

Protocol that is interesting.

So the normal 25,26,27 this year becomes

27, 28th and 29th.

Brendan

In terms of bank and PO closures, yes.

However, I am not saying that 27th and 28th are public holidays this year.

If 25+26 fall on Sat and Sun, are Mon 27th and Tue 28th public holidays? I don't think so.

AIB customer who locked his VISA debit card over Christmas after forgetting PIN. Reset at AIB ATM last night, withdrew cash. All the other bill-pay functions, etc from current account continued to work online.

I think the service from the banks is truly dreadful. In the absence of any branch being open I had to visit three Bank of Ireland lodgment ATMs before I could find one which was working in order to lodge a cheque.

I had to visit three Bank of Ireland lodgment ATMs before I could find one which was working in order to lodge a cheque.

They are trying to discourage payment by cheques.

So it's not surprising that it's even more difficult on a bank holiday.

Brendan

Granted, but there's also a case for keeping post offices open on bank holidays, given their supposed social responsibility role, their independent ATM network, baby banking infrastructure, etc

Last edited:
They are trying to discourage payment by cheques.

So it's not surprising that it's even more difficult on a bank holiday.

Brendan
I understand that the banks are trying to discourage payment by cheque Brendan but I got a cheque in the post in payment for a refund and I have a right to be able to lodge it. I am paying for this service but not receiving a service. At least I am living in Dublin - I just had to drive 8km from Stillorgan (ATM not working) to Merrion Road (ATM not working) to Stephen's Green (working). If I was living in Kilkenny and the lodge ATM In Castlecomer wasn't working I would have to drive 19 km to the sole other lodge ATM in the county which is in Kilkenny city. These ATMs also accept cash lodgements and therefore if they are not working and the bank is not open if forces individuals and businesses to keep large amounts of cash at home.

Back