You used to be funny ...

• Thread starter Henny Penny
  • Start date
H

Henny Penny

... Tommy Tiernan ... if ever there was a victim of his own success. Went to see him last Saturday in Longford ... never again. I found him to be riding on reputation only ... not funny ... he put in little or no effort ... it's all too easy to slag travellers, ethnic minorities and talk about your schooldays ... especially when every other word is a bad one!
Please spare yourself the suffering ... don't go to see him ... he is no longer funny.

Saw him at the cat laughs a few years ago. He went down like a lead balloon. We all thought he must've been using it to test out new experimental material or something. Absolutely dreadful.

All these comedians have their day: think of the rubbish that D'Unbelieveables produce these days.

Comedians like Dermot Morgan, managed to move from roles in Halls Pictorial Weekly to the Live Mike (then a bit of wilderness) and finally Father Ted. It seems that few Irish comedians in recent times are as versatile, and just play off the same auld rubbish for as long as they can.

I have never figured out what people saw in Tommy Tiernan, I only ever saw him on the Dunphy Show, where Jordan humiliated him brilliantly, and in some movie with Stuart Townsend, I just can;t stand the guy.

Hate him as much as Ben Stiller!

He was funny as the depressed priest in Father Ted but that seems to be about it.

tiernan

Hes the epitome of tv sterilisation. As per most comments here, I seen him live upstairs in the norseman maybe 7-8 years ago and had sore sides for a week afterwards from laughing.
Then tv got him, he sterilised his performances and lost the edge ala Jack Dee, Ed byrne, Jason byrne, Dylan Moran etc,etc. All hes able talk about now is sexual acts, ethnic minoritys, throw in a few bad words and thats his show. They must start writing material for tv to make some real money, but then their writing style as live compedy doesnt always translate to tv well. The trouble is they then bring their tv comedy on the road with them and they fall flat.
Is there anyone funny left? I seen Dave McSavage recently and thought he was good.
[broken link removed] isnt bad either.

Re: Sue Collins

The best one I've seen recently was Sue Collins (The Nualas). She is excellent. No crap. No language. Just good comedy.

Re: Sue Collins

And lets not forget the legendary Neil Toibin

Re: Ruben

Ruben is excellent... so funny and absolutly no bad language (he's a mime artist).

I find that once you see a comedian you should give them a wide berth for a couple of years as they just repeat the same old gags.

Could never get Tommy Tiernan either...what a gobshite! He just shouts and roars his way through his "act"

Des Bishop, Ed Byrne, Deirdre O'Kane and Jason Byrne are all very funny IMO

Back