You can no longer easily switch bank accounts

Khublei

Hello people,

Back in the day you could easily switch current accounts. One form and all the direct debits magically found their way to your new account. The people in EBS gave me that form last month and now I'm dealing with late direct debit charges because such a system no longer exists. It's still on the EBS website, staff in my branch thought it was still a thing. I know people are leaving for places with free banking so take note - you must do all direct debits manually now. Just giving a heads up in case anyone else gets caught.

Had an Ulster Bank U First account. No longer benefited from what they offered so wanted to switch to another Ulster Bank account. Asked them to switch the DDMs. They could only switch DDM if from a different bank and not from another ULB one :confused: . Had it out with the manager who sent me a form and said she would try to do it. Nothing happened, no correspondence, nothing. Ended up switching the DDMs myself, which was a lot easier and quicker than actually dealing with the bank

Can't argue with this. I switched to KBC recently and if I'd know the hassle I would have done the cancelling and opening as two separate transactions.

Reactions: jpd
Interesting Ciaran. They were adamant on the phone today that it's not possible anymore. I switched from AIB to PTSB in 2014 and had no problems at all. Just signed a form and everything happened. I've to go through each one individually now. And phone company won't do anything online or over the phone, have to send them stuff in the post.

Back