Writedown!!!!

Mr peabody

Registered User
Messages
32
Hi, I am currently in negotiations with pepper to try and resolve a mortgage.

Details: mortgage of 300k drawn down in 2007.
Arrears built up to to 65K since due to being out of work for a period and never being able to make full payment(approx €2150.
€1300 paid on average monthly amounting to approx 125K since draw down.
Never failed to contact lender etc.
We are requesting a short term resolution to give a chance to get back on track for years but the mortgage has only been renegotiated for 7 months of the 9 year term.
In full time employment now with 40k income combined.

Pepper will not renegotiate a figure with us as a mortgage and know our credit rating does allow us to obtain credit elsewhere.

House value is 140K and valuer described as a "hard sell" as the location is very very remote.

Due to the fact we planned in staying in house til the grave the architect advised us during construction to put bedrooms upstairs with no planning so obviously the house cannot be sold this issue is resolved as valuers pointed out.

In April after looking at my accounts pepper said the mortgage was unsustainable and offered an assisted voluntary sale with the market value of the house being full and final payment.
Their valuer put this at €170k.

This is my family home on family land and I want to keep it at all cost.

I have a brother in the US that is willing to "buy" the property but can only raise €100K.
Is there any point offering this to pepper.

We have a credit union with no other debts.

Any advice greatly appreciated as I'm at my wits end.
 
Last edited:

moneybox

Frequent Poster
Messages
715
House value is 140K and valuer described as a "hard sell" as the location is very very remote.

This is my family home on family land and I want to keep it at all cost.
On those points alone I reckon pepper will have a very very difficult time trying to force a sale on your home. You are making repayments, Brendan has said numerous times on this site that it's very difficult for banks to reprocess houses when there is evidence of repayments bring made.

Country folk especially those living in remote rural areas have a tendency to support each other in matters such as this. No local person is going to touch your home. Visions of The Field springs to mind :eek:
 

Mr peabody

Registered User
Messages
32
Haha,all we are missing around here is the bull mccabe. We are currently paying €1000 a month +trs. The really annoying part is that when pepper said they would settle for the current market value we thought they might give us the mortgage on this new basis but they have absolutely no interest in this at all
 

Bronte

Frequent Poster
Messages
13,603
People with cash can be willing to buy a house without planning. In any case once 12 years (?) are up the council,can't do anything.

How much is the house worth?
 

Mr peabody

Registered User
Messages
32
People with cash can be willing to buy a house without planning. In any case once 12 years (?) are up the council,can't do anything.

How much is the house worth?
A mortgage broker I'm friendly with reckons 80k would be a lot for it. My parents house is 60m from it and my next-door neighbours farm is 100m on other side. It's 5.5 miles from nearest shop,school and village.
 

Bronte

Frequent Poster
Messages
13,603
Is your friend the broker telling you what you want to hear.

If it's true why would you be willing to pay 100k?

Why is there a value of 170k instead of 80k?

Does Pepper smell money/ your desperation to hold onto it.
 

Mr peabody

Registered User
Messages
32
Is your friend the broker telling you what you want to hear.

If it's true why would you be willing to pay 100k?

Why is there a value of 170k instead of 80k?

Does Pepper smell money/ your desperation to hold onto it.
I've made my intention to hold onto it clear from the start whether that was right or not.
Even the valuer pepper sent out said that it would be a very difficult sell.
The 100K figure is only a proposal by my brother-the part I'm finding impossible to figure out is how to approach pepper with a cash offer as they seem as though they have no interest in negotiating.
 

Bronte

Frequent Poster
Messages
13,603
I think you need to hire an expert negotiator with Pepper experience.

Also a mess with your brother in law.

I note you ignored my questions.
 

Mr peabody

Registered User
Messages
32
I think you need to hire an expert negotiator with Pepper experience.

Also a mess with your brother in law.

I note you ignored my questions.
My apologies,I didn't mean to ignore questions.

I think the broker is telling it like it is to be honest-as a house it's worth €120/130-pepper valuer put the 170k on it but realistically as a repossessed house in the location it's in its worth considerably less,in the region of 80/90k.

I'm willing to pay/do anything at the moment that gives the situation stability so that's my reason for having no problem offering 100k if I thought it would resolve the situation.

And it's my own brother that's willing to come up with the money if required.
 

Bronte

Frequent Poster
Messages
13,603
Still don't understand the Pepper valuation.

What are you now saying about the 120k, is that for a house in that area that is not repossed?

Better it's your brother. He should have a written watertight legal agreement with you. How do you pay him and Pepper?
 

gnf_ireland

Frequent Poster
Messages
1,367
Why not let them put it on the market, and wait and see what kind of offers are made. If you are confident it will only make 80k odd, let your brother purchase it for 80k and then you buy it back off him or whatever way you decide to handle the transaction between yourselves.

Alternatively wait for the offers to come in, none comes in including from your brother, and you ask for a writedown to 100k on the same interest terms you have at the moment

The problem you have is if you offer 100k, the questions will be asked about the valuation and where you got the money (and how much more can be raised). By putting it on the market, if you are confident it will not get other offers, then it strengthens your position considerably

But is that a gamble you are willing to take ? If Pepper believe its 170k value, they won't accept 100k ! Why would they?
 

moneybox

Frequent Poster
Messages
715
Gnf_ireland that is excellent advice.
The OP has stated he lives out in the sticks, actually he lives way out in the sticks. House prices may have climbed in Dublin. Cork and Galway but anyone will tell you that out in the rural areas they have barely moved since the crash. One just has to look at the many rural towns and villages around the country and note new semi's can be purchased for as little as €130,000. People are gravatating towards the cities for employment as there is absolutely zero opportunities for them in the country side.
No way will anyone pay €170,000 for a house located many miles from services of any kind unless they are some sort of hermit. Pepper must have pulled that valuation from some old document going back to the boom years.
 

Mr peabody

Registered User
Messages
32
That's the most frustrating aspect for me-we have no problem renegotiating the mortgage at €170k at an inflated interest rate which you would imagine would be good business for pepper. I am in no way looking for any sort of freebie but it baffles me that pepper have no interest in coming to a reasonable solution for both parties.
 

Bronte

Frequent Poster
Messages
13,603
Why not let them put it on the market, and wait and see what kind of offers are made. If you are confident it will only make 80k odd, let your brother purchase it for 80k and then you buy it back off him or whatever way you decide to handle the transaction between yourselves.

Alternatively wait for the offers to come in, none comes in including from your brother, and you ask for a writedown to 100k on the same interest terms you have at the moment

The problem you have is if you offer 100k, the questions will be asked about the valuation and where you got the money (and how much more can be raised). By putting it on the market, if you are confident it will not get other offers, then it strengthens your position considerably

But is that a gamble you are willing to take ? If Pepper believe its 170k value, they won't accept 100k ! Why would they?
That's where I was getting to, but couldn't get any kind of realistic value from the OP. Like this is so obvious what can I say. But its a high stakes game all the same. With everything to lose for the OP.
 
Last edited:

Bronte

Frequent Poster
Messages
13,603
That's the most frustrating aspect for me-we have no problem renegotiating the mortgage at €170k at an inflated interest rate which you would imagine would be good business for pepper. I am in no way looking for any sort of freebie but it baffles me that pepper have no interest in coming to a reasonable solution for both parties.

Mistake 1 your logic of Pepper.

(please take all views into consideration)

Mistake 2

Your desire to keep the house, heart over money - you to call this - very tough this
 

gnf_ireland

Frequent Poster
Messages
1,367
That's where I was getting to, but couldn't get any kind of realistic value from the OP. Like this is so obvious what can I say. But it us ax Hugh stages game all the sane. With everything to lose for the OP.
Yes any strategy here is risky for the OP. The problem is what is the alternative ? if they really want the house they either magically find 170k to buy it from Pepper, or put it on the market to get a more accurate valuation which allows them a better negotiating position, and hopefully get it for 80-100k.


Back in 2010, a relative of my wife was selling her house in Dublin and got it valued. The number quoted was 'silly season' in my view, but that is what she believed it was worth - that's what she was told. She offered us a 100k discount on it, but could not understand why we declined it. Sadly she passed away a short while later, and the house was sold within 3 months - for 250k less than the valuation. If the original valuation have been more accurate, we may have bought the house (family discount or not).
What I am trying to say is, Pepper has no reason to do business currently at less than 170k. Until they can see the market value is lower than that, they will go on their professional valuation.

The fact they don't appear to be willing to let you continue to borrow 170k from them is a completely different matter
 

Bronte

Frequent Poster
Messages
13,603
I forgot something important.

How will ownership be organised if your brother pays 100k?
 

Bronte

Frequent Poster
Messages
13,603
Havent you forgotten something, how are you going to pay him if Pepper get an instalment order against you?

What if your valuation is wrong.
 

Mr peabody

Registered User
Messages
32
Havent you forgotten something, how are you going to pay him if Pepper get an instalment order against you?

What if your valuation is wrong.
But if I was to repay him "rent" to the value of the mortgage repayment on the house can pepper have a grievance with that because I have to rent someplace to live.
 
Top