Would you buy a Mitsubishi Outlander?

The towing capacity of the outlander phev is only 1500kg not much better than a car. I was looking into buying one myself. The trailer is itself 1000kg, horse at least 500kg (unless it is a small pony) you are too near the limit IMO. My jeep has a 2ton towing capacity and I would only tow 1 horse so 1500kg.

As a horsebox driver for many years, I think you need a manual gearbox not automatic... unless you always travel in a very flat area, and do not need to deal with any narrow roads where you might have to stop for passing and then set off again. I know nothing about Mitsubishi Outlanders.
that is not true, actually autos make much better tow vehicles - much smoother for the horse. This statement is ??

That diesel car you linked to has a review posted on their own web-site whaich says in part :

"Look out for

• There were some complaints about the clutch and dual mass flywheel when attempting to tow in 1st and 2nd gear

What we like

• Widely regarded as Mitsubishi’s best work for some time
• It’s a good looking car inside and out
• Great performance both on and off-road
• Generous levels of standard equipment and safety features

What we don't like

• The rear-most seats are a bit cramped especially for taller people"

I'd be cautious. I can't find the owing capacity anywhere"

I've put all thought of the current Outlander out of my head. I'm going to hasten slowly. I've always just bought a vehicle and never really put any major, long-term thoughts into it.

I'll be retired within the next 7 years and what I buy will have to see me well into retirement. I'll have less driving to do then too. The only thing that's spurring me on is the Pajero starting to show its age. I reckon it will cost me the bones of €1,000 to fix it this time.

I think I need at least a 2.2. ltr engine to pull a trailer. My research showed that the Outlander I was looking at has a towing capacity of 1,500 kg and I reckon the horse box laden would come in at 1,650 kg (roughly).

As I also carry dogs, I've looked at estates too but I'm no nearer a choice.

I'm not one to traipse off to the UK myself. Would you you a company to source one?

It seems manufacturers are making vehicles with much lower towing capacity! My old sorento towed 3.5T. I'm sorry I let it go tbh. I think I would keep your pajero! They are pretty indestructible.

I'm starting to think that way but I'm spending a fortune on it every year to keep it right.

I'm beginning to think that there's nothing out there from 181 on that can reasonably pull a trailer.
I was sorry I let my sorento go. I should have kept it just for towing, which I do most weekends March - Oct, and bought a car for other driving!

and bought a car for other driving!

I did that but because I take dogs around, I bought a Ford Transit Connect. I was using the Pajero just to tow but I'm afraid it will eventually pack up on me. The Transit suits me fine for day to day driving but it's only a 1.6 and if the Pajero drops dead I'm goosed.

That's why I was going to buy one good passenger SUV style vehicle or an estate car and get rid of the Pajero and the Transit.

I'm starting to think that way but I'm spending a fortune on it every year to keep it right.

I'm beginning to think that there's nothing out there from 181 on that can reasonably pull a trailer.

How many horses at a time?

Kia sorenoto 18 onwards - 2.5 t
RR Discovery - 3.0t I think, but $$$$
A lot of jeeps can tow 2 ton (check the model but usually 2.0L at least)
mazda CX5
audi Q5
audi Q7
tiguan
skoda kodiaq
seat tarraco
(I think either kodiaq or tarraco is my next car if not sorento)

that is not true, actually autos make much better tow vehicles - much smoother for the horse. This statement is ??
Pinkie123 do you tow horses yourself? I have driven both manual and automatic vehicles when towing. Manual is a lot safer if you need to take evasive action. Automatic also pull erratically when towing uphill. I don't think their "algorithms" can compensate for a horsebox load. A human can.

Pinkie123 do you tow horses yourself? I have driven both manual and automatic vehicles when towing. Manual is a lot safer if you need to take evasive action. Automatic also pull erratically when towing uphill. I don't think their "algorithms" can compensate for a horsebox load. A human can.
absolutely I do, how else would I be qualified to have such an opinion? Have you ever driven a modern automatic? I think you need to do that before making such a statement tbh.

Back