Would you buy a Mitsubishi Outlander?

PaddyBloggit

2.0 ltr, petrol hybid, 2018 model, automatic.

I'm getting different opinions on it - reliability, etc.

I need to pull a horse box.

Anybody have one? Thoughts?

Dealer telling me that it's strong enough to pull a horse box.

It has 203 BHP.

What alternative would you suggest?

203 using which engine or 203 BHP both engines combined? Range pulling an occupied horse box on batteries? Fuel consumption pulling a box on diesel?

Same yoke but diesel. SWB LWB or pickup?

203 using which engine or 203 BHP both engines combined?

Not a notion. As far as I can see (from my research), I can tell the vehicle to power on petrol only.... but I'm not sure.

Carzone review: https://www.carzone.ie/reviews/used-car-buying-guides/mitsubishi/outlander-phev/

It appears to be a 4wd but the review seems to say it's only 133 BHP.

I use the horse box 4 times a year... to move animals from one location to another for over wintering.

I have a double axle trailer that I use regularly as well.

I had a 3.2 ltr pajero but it's come to the end of its life ... costing too much to keep it on the road.

I want to get back to using one vehicle and that's why I am looking at getting an SUV.

I looked at estates tonight but I think they are too low on the road and if I went in a field or rough lane, I'd be hitting ground.

Looks like the 2018 Outlander PHEV and the newer 2.4 petrol engine. Battery range not towing horse box = 45 km. The review is for the older car with the 2.0 lt engine.

Last edited:
It's the 2.0 ltr engine phev I'm looking at.

I think the battery idea is just a gimmick. I don't know what to do tbh.

When I look at cars, I see a whole load of confusion.

And then I see a Ford Ranger on the same dealer's site with a 2.2 ltr engine and under specs it says that it has 150 bhp... ??

Thanks for that! :)

The only thing is that I'm looking at a 2.0 ltr engine rather than the new 2.4 ltr engine. I can afford the 2018 model but going for a 2020 price ... I couldn't justify it to myself.

It looks like the dealer may be trying to sell you a British import, a 2017 model, not registered until 2018. All 2018 model year Irish cars are 2.4 lt petrol engines with 230PS or 226.9 BHP. Check with the importer.

You're right. It is a UK import. How do I go about finding correct specs?

So the 2017 model has the lower bhp?

Yeah, strange move for a manufacturer to increase the size of a petrol engine these days. It seems to me the dealer tried to stitch you up with a below spec car, they still can't be trusted even in this day and age.

You have the technical specifications in the brochure. Download Outlander 2018 PHEV brochure here https://www.mitsubishi-motors.ie/download-a-brochure?vehicle=ifx1mxp53x8b3nj58qgon&year=2020.

My daughter has the older spec car and its fine for her, the kids, the shopping and pootling around at the weekend with the hubby. It came 2nd hand fitted with a tow-bar, but I reckon it wouldn't pull me out of bed. It does no towing and I doubt it ever could successfully. I've driven it and find it underpowered even compared to my 2 ltr diesel Avensis!!! She has the mains powered charger fitted outside the front door. I had to txt her to be 100% sure what version she had, to be sure of my ground before posting anything actionable :) :)

Last edited:
As a horsebox driver for many years, I think you need a manual gearbox not automatic... unless you always travel in a very flat area, and do not need to deal with any narrow roads where you might have to stop for passing and then set off again. I know nothing about Mitsubishi Outlanders.

I don't know anything about the mechanics of it, just noting nice to have a model name that actually means something in english :)
But I won't de-rail the thread any further, see you in The Depths to discuss further.

I've put all thought of the current Outlander out of my head. I'm going to hasten slowly. I've always just bought a vehicle and never really put any major, long-term thoughts into it.

I'll be retired within the next 7 years and what I buy will have to see me well into retirement. I'll have less driving to do then too. The only thing that's spurring me on is the Pajero starting to show its age. I reckon it will cost me the bones of €1,000 to fix it this time.

I think I need at least a 2.2. ltr engine to pull a trailer. My research showed that the Outlander I was looking at has a towing capacity of 1,500 kg and I reckon the horse box laden would come in at 1,650 kg (roughly).

As I also carry dogs, I've looked at estates too but I'm no nearer a choice.

I'm not one to traipse off to the UK myself. Would you you a company to source one?

My research showed that the Outlander I was looking at has a towing capacity of 1,500 kg
I'm pretty sure that's only if the trailer is braked? Most vehicles will be able to pull more than they can stop, so make sure you've got the full details.

Back