Worlds First Disposable Credit Card

Here are some of the charges(from FAQ at 3v.ie)

4.1 What is a 3V Voucher™ going to cost me?

To purchase a 3V Voucher™ for less than €100 will cost you €4. So for example, the purchase price for a €90 3V Voucher™ is €94 in total.

To purchase a 3V Voucher™ for €100 or more will cost you €5. So for example, the purchase price for a €150 3V Voucher™ is €155 in total.

4.2 Are there any other charges?[back to top]

Other charges arise in the following circumstances:

A €2.50 charge to redeem any unused funds left on your 3V Voucher™.
You can check your balance or previous transactions by calling 1 530 333 123. This number is a premium rate telephone service charged at 33c per minute. Rates for calls from mobile telephones may vary. Alternatively, you may check your balance and transaction history ONLINE at the My Account Section.

4.3 Are there any charges if I shop abroad using a 3V Voucher™?[back to top]

There are no charges for using a 3V Voucher™ to shop abroad on the Internet, by telephone or by mail order. An exchange rate will apply if you make purchases outside the Eurozone (e.g. Sterling or Dollars). This exchange rate is set daily by VISA and can fluctuate depending on exchange rates prevailing on that day on world markets. A commission fee of up to 1.75% of the transaction amount is included in the rate of exchange.

sounds like an almighty ripoff to me!

(dependent on people's definition of rip-off as discussed in the rip off republic thread)

This rip-off Ireland thing was put into perspective for me a few weeks ago when reading the property supplement in the Sunday Independant.

The "journalist" was going on about the national disgrace that is the price of a bag of popcorn everytime she goes to the cinema. Further on she went on to praise and endorse some 2 bed apartments in a tallaght tower selling for some astronomical amount- and all without so much as a hint of irony !

Isn't this dispoable Credit Card idea the sme thing AIB has had for years?
I think it's nearly 7 or 8 years since I saw it first?

-Rd

Nope - The AIB system generates a once-only card number for a fixed amount. Once used this appears on your regular CC statement.
The PTSB system is more like the ready to go phones, you buy a disposable CC of a fixed value and then can use this until it runs out. you do not have to have a CC a/C with PTSB to use this product.

The only real advantage of the PTSB system is that it can be used by people who 'cannot or should not' have a credit card, to perform transactions where CC is the only acceptable method

soy said:
The only real advantage of the PTSB system is that it can be used by people who 'cannot or should not' have a credit card, to perform transactions where CC is the only acceptable method

There's that and also the earlier one I mentioned: additional online security.

While online credit card use accounts for only about 2% of Visa International's total credit card transactions, more than 50% of its discovered frauds/disputes relate to online use.

Soy, that's very interesting.
I guess for people who hold Credit Cards the AIB approach is better, but as you say for the rest this PTSB idea might be good.

I've noticed the last two times I've bought something online I've been linked to a VISA VERIFY Page that shows that my card provider is AIB. The first time I had to create a Password and since then if I buy something I need that username and password.

Looks like VISA are taking their own steps to cut out the 50% of fraud.
(This Visa Verify seems to only have been introduced in the past week or two).

http://www.visaeurope.com/iusevisa/shoppingonline.html?src=home_page_opportunity

-Rd

Ya - AIB sent out a brochure about this new 'verify' system a couple of months back so it is reasonably new.

In my earlier post I was pointing towards the only advantage that the PTSB system has over the AIB solution - rather than over credit cards in general.

It sould be pointed out that the AIB transaction online is free whereas the PTSB card is quite expensive.

I have no affiliation with AIB, just think their CC package is very good.

We'have had a pre-paid visa credit card for a couple of years now here in Italy. It's great for buying on Internet as you can put as little as you like on it. It doesn't cost anything, but every time you add credit (in the post office), they charge you €1.

Back