wooden windows

Blondie1

I am about to replace 9 windows and back door in semi-detached house (area Dublin Meath border) Quotes for upvc range from about 9000 to 12500 euro.
As I was thoroughly confused about merits of each, I sought clarification from an architect friend, who seemed anti pvc, and strongly suggested i should consider wood. From some enquiries I have made, the wooden option seems to be very expensive. Is there anybody, who has recently sourced good quality wooden windows at an affordable cost. If so, I would be pleased for information regarding supplier and approximate cost. The sizes of my windows in square metres are as follows: 3.56, 3.20, 2.56, 2.33, 2.065, 2.018, 1.987, 1.42 and 0.844, also standard back door. I would be looking for double glazed with best possible insulation. Any messages in this regard, posted on your website, seem pretty old. All helpful advice or information would be much appreciated. Thanks

Wooden window manufacturers: Nordan, Nordic, Rationel, EcoGlaze. Some of the manufacturers are giving good discounts at the moment.

I've had Timber Factors do work for me before and I've never had a complaint about them.

George 018472216.

Just ordered 8 Mahogany windows from Roco windows in Waterford. Total 27.222 sq metres = €10,900 Plus Vat @13.5% inclusive of fitting. Lead time 9 weeks. U values 1.3 - 1.7 W/m2K depending on the window. Nice stainless steel hardware. Aluminimum drip strip at base of casements. No connections.

Last edited:
On a slightly different note ....... Am doing up a very old house in the country. Teak windows (single glaze) installed at front about 25 years ago and are in pretty good condition. We are removing the single pane and installing double glaze. Then sanding off the varnish (thankfully the wind and rain have made the job easier) and painting.

Re wooden windows, thanks to Dutchy, SLF and Beaky. Contacted George in Timber Factors but he appears to make only. Would prefer, if possible, for someone to make and install. Will contact Roco Windows but distance might be a problem. A joiner has done work for me previously but he only makes and glazes and someone else has to fit.
Dutchy did not say which companies had offers at present as no word of that from any I contacted. Got quote from Nor Dan. Has anyone dealt with them? Will post results if I make any progress. From Blondie

I wouldn't exactly say there is a sign on the shop window advertising a sale - but Rationel gave us a 15% discount just recently. Nordic tried to match it with 10% off. Both will do supply and "install" - but if you have a builder on site, it will be cheaper for them to do the "make good". The window manufacturer to supply and "pin in" only.

Also try True Windows. Based in Sligo but with a customer base all over the country. They make windows and install. You'll find them at http://www.truewindows.ie. I believe they provide you with a cost calculator as part of their quotation which means you can play around with different types of wood and finishes and see what impact that has on price. We are getting 2 large custom windows through them.

to Carolin,

have you any idea how True Windows prices compare with other companies for your two large windows

I need nine windows and a door so trying to supply the details in format they want seems troublesome. I can easily quote dimensions plaster to plaster of each window. From looking at their website, I am inclined to the opinion that they are expensive. Have you got prices from Nordan, Rationel, Nordic?
Nordan have quoted 11,500 for supply with approx 3,200 for fitting

Carolin, I see that you posted that true windows "make" windows - I thought that they supplied and fitted windows - I was always of the opinion that they imported the windows, doors etc and supplied and fitted them if you if you wished. Also I note that there windows open inwards which have issues of there own in irish buildings.

To Dreamhouse, Thanks for that information. Looked up website but could find no English, I presume all details in Lithuanian. The only thing I could understand was 10 year guarantee. Have you got any information on True Windows, such as quality of window and efficiency of delivery and installation. On their website under examples of their work, they show a semi-detached house but seemed loath to give exact location on privacy grounds. I just wanted to look from outside.

To Dreamhouse, Thanks for that information. Looked up website but could find no English, I presume all details in Lithuanian.

In the top left hand corner of that website there is the option to choose the preferred language ' LT | EN | RU' Selecting EN gives the English option.

Megrame are a bit arogant ant pricey. Doleta not too bad, especialy if you looking something unique. They have a widest choice of varish shades. But go direct, will save few pennies. Hronas more profesional, speak/qoutes in english.

If you going for painted finish, all companies are using full RAL.

10 years garantee - rubish. Who will come and replace them for you?
Ask for garantee from a fella, who fitted them - he's the last one who touched your windows.
Advice:
1.have a profesionals to survey and fit.
2. if it's new built, get outside reveals and outside plastering done first. Will save santrax destroyng your windows.
3. imported windows don't have a drip tray (concrete cills not used over there). They has to be specified, or made and added over there.
4. ask for a drop of varnish/primer to be included.
Different companies are using different supliers, so the shades are not the same.
Will help on touchups or any deco slips/window boards to match the windows.

p.s. if close to Dublin, have most of these companies varnish finish codes/samples.

I know that true windows fitted the Seville Lawns Housing Development on the Callan Road, Kilkenny if that is of any use, someone asked in a post up above about seeing the windows from the outside.

Not sure what part of the country you're in but we are buying our wooden windows from Woodlock Joinery in Omagh. We visited the factory and were very impressed with the set-up and the price is quite competitive especially given the weakness of sterling. We are buying 'A' rated double-glazed windows with a u-value of 1.1. They also fit but the price seems quite high relative to the windows. I have no connection with this company.

True windows are importing from www.megrame.lt, Lithuania.

Factually incorrect and untrue. Please withdraw this false assertion. Do not comment if you do not know. True Windows Ltd. have never delt with Megrame.

Moderators, I struggle to understand how stupid and incorrect information is allowed to be posted here.

I also believe this to be untrue. There is no A rated windows in this country. There is no rating system. Ask the salesman to provide a u-value certificate showing a 1.1 for the WINDOW and not the glass. They are selling you 1.1 uvalue glass in a pine frame. The overall uvalue is probably in the region of 1.7 given the profile they use.