Window condensation

If the seal on a double glazing unit is compromised then I think that the unit needs to be replaced fully. I'm not aware of there being any way to repair these or that it would be cost effective if this is possible. But I could be wrong...

Take a look at the links on Heat Recovery Ventilation on the Sustainable Development [broken link removed]These will enable good circulation while retaining most of the heat from the expelled air.

Has anyone here any experience installing/ using these? Looking at getting something similar for my parents' house which suffers badly from condensation.
Leo

My mam had condensation between the panes on her patio door and the guy took off one pane and replaced the seal. It was a year or two ago and there is no fogging since. It cost her about €100 but I think it was a guy doing a nixer (not that I'm condoning it or anything before anyone mounts a high horse :) )

Rebecca

My mam had condensation between the panes on her patio door and the guy took off one pane and replaced the seal. It was a year or two ago and there is no fogging since. It cost her about €100 but I think it was a guy doing a nixer (not that I'm condoning it or anything before anyone mounts a high horse :) )

Rebecca

All of the older windows in our house have condensation between the panes. I don't know how old they are, but would like a relatively cheap solution. Can the seals be replaced?

Past30

We have a similar problem - wife and I bought a second hand house last year and a lot of the double glazed windows have condensation in them (some of them are so bad that we can't see out them at all). We thought that the only way to fix the problem was to actually get them replaced and we frankly can't afford to get them replaced. Does anyone know of anyone that cleans the inside of them, like what MissRibena mentioned earlier in the thread?

Hi Kaso,
I've worked in the glass industry and to be honest you are better off just replacing them. It's a messy job cutting those double glazed units open and if it was my own house I wouldn't be satisfied unless the vacumn was industrially sealed and not just sealed up with tape out your backgarden. In all probability the unit would just break down again in the near future.
Saying that, it is not all that bad. Installing glass is not that difficult once you take care. This is especially true if you have PVC frames as they are very good to work with. The main thing is to cut out the middleman- ie the glass companies. From experience I am still shocked at the amount of profit that these places have made over the last few years. The mark up is unbelievable. I have often done jobs where the glass only costed 30 to 50 euro to produce and then the company charged 200 to 400 for its installion.
These are the steps that I would take to do your house.
1. Aim to replace them as your finance allows, ie 1 every week.
2. Measure them yourself- all on the net. better still to take it out of frame- measure perfectly then and also remeember to measure thickness!
3. shop around for quotes and ask wi.ll they give it to you for builder price.
The amount of money you will save on labour will def surprise you.
In you are a total disaster at DIY then by adding a handyman to the above steps would still save you a lot of money.

Back