Will you go for a pint when restrictions are lifted?

ow quite sure how this works exactly - 57 The Headline on Clanbrassil Street Dublin have opened a walk in pub shop.

Good few pubs doing that around me. The standard 7-day license means they're free to sell for take-away so long as it's consumed more than 100m from the premises.

Have they just converted it from on-license to off-license?

Not 100% sure, but it's a little more than that (I think).
Like you could go in an order a measure of a particular whiskey or request a particular cocktail and they would sell it in a mini bottle.

A friend is organising pints for Saturday 4th July!
As with many things in the pandemic era, it’ll be interesting.

I haven't had a pint in Kehoes for months. If the cost of me getting back on that barstool is a few thousand dead old people then so be it!
Looks like you will be getting your wish in a month or so and less that 1700 deaths, mostly older people I understand. Good news then.

Looks like you will be getting your wish in a month or so and less that 1700 deaths, mostly older people I understand. Good news then.
Absolutely! And not even a few thousand dead. Sure the whole thing has all been a bit underwhelming. Nobody I know even died from it therefore the golden rule applies; It didn't affect me = It doesn't matter.

When the bars open again in 2 weeks what is the closing time is it the normal 11.30 weekdays, 12.30 weekend nights ?, they havn't mentioned anything about that.

See now we are asking the important questions.
In any case was it actually legal to close all the pubs in the first place, I think because of the social media pressure surrounding the corona virus pandemic back in March no publican was going to challenge the decree. They were more sensitive to the social media mob then and closed even before the order due to this pressure.

In any case was it actually legal to close all the pubs in the first place, I think because of the social media pressure surrounding the corona virus pandemic back in March no publican was going to challenge the decree. They were more sensitive to the social media mob then and closed even before the order due to this pressure.
Yes, the power of the mob... sure what could go wrong?
To quote the great philosopher Homer (Simpson) "There's no justice like mob justice"

Now they want 9euro minimum for a meal at a pub and a maximum stay of 1.5 hrs, this is getting ridiculous, the state needs to get out of the way, it's like the return of the parish priest enforcing morality and holy hours. "Leave room for the holy ghost".

Very interesting scientific research that shows spending 9 euro and spending 90 minutes rather than 120 minutes in a pub dramatically reduce the chances of catching the virus. Sometimes, I feel like I live in an episode of the Simpsons.

I can picture Mayor Quimby saying "Wel..ehh.. it, eh, seems that if you, eh, spend 90 minutes in a pub is is, eh, perfectly eh, safe."

Now they want 9euro minimum for a meal at a pub and a maximum stay of 1.5 hrs, this is getting ridiculous, the state needs to get out of the way, it's like the return of the parish priest enforcing morality and holy hours. "Leave room for the holy ghost".

Hmm. I wonder if a pub that doesn't do food could partner up with local pizza places and just have a delivery every 90 minutes.
Pizza and pint for a tenner.

We're inching our way back towards a new normality. The publicans have tried every means possible to open all their premises earlier than the restriction date. I heard a Dublin publican recently on radio who said a half sandwich is a meal and he feels entitled to sell liquor legally to the purchaser of the half sandwich. They feel they are more entitled than anybody else. The vast majority of us are biding by the restrictions and the country overall has performed well compared to some other countries. I see no reason why the publicans cannot do what we've been doing.

If the publicans and any other group are allowed do what they want to do, there's no point in having any restrictions.

We're inching our way back towards a new normality. The publicans have tried every means possible to open all their premises earlier than the restriction date. I heard a Dublin publican recently on radio who said a half sandwich is a meal and he feels entitled to sell liquor legally to the purchaser of the half sandwich. They feel they are more entitled than anybody else. The vast majority of us are biding by the restrictions and the country overall has performed well compared to some other countries. I see no reason why the publicans cannot do what we've been doing.

If the publicans and any other group are allowed do what they want to do, there's no point in having any restrictions.

What publicans? I haven't seen one pub try and open before they were allowed to.

Nobody is denying that things can't go back to normal right away but restrictions need to be based on science. Not rules like you have to spend €9 and only spend 90 minutes in a pub. None of that makes things safer. It just creates red tape.

I went to the opticians this morning where all the restrictions were in place. Temp checks. Check in. Limited numbers in the shop. I was wearing my mask. I was constantly touching the bloody thing which made it pointless. When getting the eye test, I had to remove the mask below my nose because the machinery would fog up. Same thing when trying on glasses. The optician told me to remove the mask if I liked and we social distanced. He was happy. I was happy. Restrictions are fine but they need to be built on science and even common sense. Otherwise we might as well just stay at home.

Not rules like you have to spend €9 and only spend 90 minutes in a pub. None of that makes things safer. It just creates red tape.

How do you suggest controls should be defined so that they are easily understood, implemented and enforceable?

How do you suggest controls should be defined so that they are easily understood, implemented and enforceable?

I don't understand your point. Are you telling me that rules like you must spend €9 on a meal of substance and you can't spend more than 90 minutes in a pub are easily understood, implemented and enforceable for the majority of businesses? Oh and if you do this, you only have to do 1m social distance. What is the connection between the money you spend on a meal, the time you spend on a premises and the social distance? Does that mean my office only has to do 1m social distance if I spend €9 on my lunch and spend no more than 90 minutes in the office? If I do 90 minutes, how long do I have to leave for before I come back in for 'another meal'? If I look at your menu and decide I actually don't like anything apart from a sandwich, are you telling me I have to leave? Does the €9 rule apply to kids, groups, individual adults? So what happens kids menus? Coming up to the 90 minute limit and I decide I want another drink. Are you going to refuse to serve me? Are you going to kick me out half way through my pint? Are you going to call last orders on me at 60 minutes?

The 90 minute restriction was suggested instead of the 2 metre social distancing.

The €9 is the legal definition of what constitutes a substantial meal. This was adopted to allow pubs to re-open as restaurants not as pubs.

Back