Will these medical issues increase our mortgage protection quote?

sun_sparks

Hi all,

Am hoping someone can advise:

We are currently applying for mortgage protection.

Was just wondering whether, and by how much, the following would affect our quote? I am aware that the GP will inform the insurer of the medical issues anyway, but would like to prepare myself first.

1. We travelled for a year in tropical countries (SE Asia and S America). Will this have an impact?

2. I had an abnormal smear, followed by a colposcopy and removal of abnormal cells about 4 years ago. Repeated smears since have been normal. I'm a bit thrown by both the "cancer test" and "smear" question - I knew they asked about hereditary conditions, but wasn't expecting this.

Thanks a million all - I'm not sure what I'd do without you!! :)

Sun_sparks

Re: Will these increase our mortgage protection quote?

I'm not sure about the travel, but eas in same situation with the smear and colposcopy. It held my application up a few weeks but didn'taffect my quote.

Re: Will these increase our mortgage protection quote?

Thanks a million Sarah. I was just gobsmacked to even see it on the form...

In case anyone else is reading this, I did some further research and it appears that the insurance company will look for proof of follow up "normal" smears to ensure that you received the correct treatment.

I can't see that the travel will be an issue at all. Assuming there were no medical issues while you were travelling. Keep on top of your doctor to complete the form the insurance company send him in a timely manner. My doctor sat on it for quite a few weeks and it caused a delay in the close.

Hi I work with one of the main insurance companies and only future travel ever applies. Past travel doesn't come up as a question. Smears do unfortunatley have to be investigated to make sure all was done to treat problem. Cancer was one of biggest pay outs to female customers in 2005 with all insurance companies so that tend to be more vigilant about this area. Not very nice for those involved.

Back