Widowers pension from two countries?

Marantz

Is it possible to receive the widows pension , based on my earnings here, and widows/retirement benefits from America based on the deceased, US citizen, contributions?
I am receiving the contributory widows pension at the moment.

The below might help you- from https://www.benefits.gov/benefit/4410

To qualify for this benefit program, you must meet all of the following requirements:
  • Be at least age 60
  • Be the widow or widower of a fully insured worker
  • Meet the marriage duration requirement.
  • Be unmarried, unless the marriage can be disregarded
  • Not be entitled to an equal or higher Social Security retirement benefit based on your own work.
If you would like to find out if you may be eligible for any of the benefits SSA administers, take SSA’s Benefit Eligibility Screening Tool.
Once you have completed the eligibility screening questionnaire, you will be provided with a list of benefits for which you may be eligible. Print this page for your records before going to the application site.
Check if you may be eligible for this benefit

Log onto the site and take the test - no harm in checking it out anyway.

Thanks for your reply.
I meet all the requirements to receive it.
-I just don't understand whether it's permissible to get that retirement benefit as well as the Irish contributory widows pension at the same time??

Doesn't seem right somehow.
The last bullet Point above would seem to suggest that getting the Irish contributory widows pension
would rule out getting retirement benefits from the USA.

Last edited:
I would think they mean getting another payment from the United States. If your Irish pension is contributory you can have other income without it affecting your Irish pension but it would be taxable .

Thanks
I won't hit 60 until next summer, which is the earliest age I can apply for it.

...Not be entitled to an equal or higher Social Security retirement benefit based on your own work.

They mention that you can't get the widows retirement benefit if you receive another payment based on
social security - which irish widows pension is- so I'm not too sure.
Time will tell.

Back