Why schools probably aren’t COVID hotspots

Where is your evidence of paralyses and indecision based on fear and narrow focus.

Who are you talking about?

Where is your evidence of paralyses and indecision based on fear and narrow focus.

Who are you talking about?
Oh sweet jasus, okay; I'm not going back through the dozens of posts I've made in this section over the last few weeks so your right, I'm wrong. I'm not getting into another discussion where people throw links around to support what are opinions.

I haven't posted any links in this thread, though some have.
I didn't say you had. I've been down the rabbit hole a few times where links to opinions were posted to support opinions etc. It's a hiding to nowhere.
My contention is that lockdowns and a narrow focus on the direct health impacts of the virus can cause other, potentially larger, problems elsewhere.
I find the focus on what are a small minority of hard cases bordering on the hysterical.
I find the dismissal by some of the impact or our actions on the poorest people in the world staggeringly myopic.
I find the lack of any serious discussion, beyond political point scoring, on why our health service is unable to react to this in an appropriate manner baffling.
That is the narrow focus I am talking about; we have never faced a pandemic like this but we haven't even talked about a structural change in order to react to it. Instead there is an endless stream of human interest stories and hero worshiping of people just doing their job. It is utterly reductive.

I admire you idealism, but let’s get real here. This is Ireland; not the US, Russia, Germany, UK, etc. Ireland’s impact on the global economy is inconsequential.

Decisions are based on health advice and that is based on the most reliable and up-to-date knowledge possible – not media reports.

Certain aspects of the governmental response is deficient as it is in practically every country.

Your dislike of the HSE is well known but is often a distraction in discussions.

I admire you idealism, but let’s get real here. This is Ireland; not the US, Russia, Germany, UK, etc. Ireland’s impact on the global economy is inconsequential.
Okay, so why bother recycling, paying your taxes, putting your litter in the bin, not drink driving etc? After all, our individual actions have no real consequences. If everyone had your attitude women wouldn't have the vote and we'd still be able to own slaves.

Decisions are based on health advice and that is based on the most reliable and up-to-date knowledge possible – not media reports.
Decisions are based on medical advice relating to the virus. There's more at play here.

Certain aspects of the governmental response is deficient as it is in practically every country.

Your dislike of the HSE is well known but is often a distraction in discussions.
So let me get this straight, you think that the deficiencies of our public health service is a distraction from a discussion relating to the States response to a public health issue. Okay, got it. I think that's the nub of the problem.

Okay, so why bother recycling, paying your taxes, putting your litter in the bin, not drink driving etc? After all, our individual actions have no real consequences. If everyone had your attitude women wouldn't have the vote and we'd still be able to own slaves

What an utterly baseless and speculative and duplicitous inference!

My point is simply that incessant references to HSE shortcomings are a distraction from a thread’s focus.

From this you have finally concluded that this necessarily means:

"If everyone had your attitude women wouldn't have the vote and we'd still be able to own slaves.”

My point is simply that incessant references to HSE shortcomings are a distraction from a thread’s focus.

From this you have finally concluded that this necessarily means:

"If everyone had your attitude women wouldn't have the vote and we'd still be able to own slaves.”
I was replying to you comment;

We cannot expect others not to be myopic and selfish if we are doing exactly that. We are part of a global community. If this pandemic doesn't show us that then nothing will. Why make decisions as consumers and as citizens on issues like climate change, conflict minerals, fast fashion etc if those individual decisions make no difference?

The HSE's shortcomings are a large part of the reason we need to have lockdowns of this type. It is, or should be, central to the whole discussion. Those shortcomings usually only hit people who can't afford private health insurance but now they are hitting everyone and yet still they are not front and centre. I find is baffling. We are the 13th highest per capita spender on healthcare in the world with a significantly younger population than anyone else in the top 20. Why can't we ask why our service is so shambolic?

We have spend more than enough for more than enough lifeboats but people are still drowning.

Back