why is it so hard here for people to do the decent thing??

Protocol, are you saying that a retired person with a pension of say 50K will pay less tax than someone currently working on 50K?

Yes, firstly, as they will get the Age tax credit, assuming one of the couple is >65.

Perhaps 40k is a better example.

Under 65 on 40k wages = approx 5k tax.

Over 65 on 40k pension = NIL tax

I see the logic in Complainers thinking on this one. I don’t fully agree with it but it does make sense. I don’t think anyone over 70 should get the medical card unless they qualify based on income levels. Maybe there should be no medical cards at all but rather compulsory health insurance for everyone and a refundable tax credit system. That way there’s no two-tier health system and all welfare payments are run through the taxation system.

How about banning private health care altogether? IMO it wouldn't take long for the quality of the health service to improve if the great & the good had to get in line for services with everyone else. Can yo imagine if Bertie and the like had to queue in a trolley..

I probably wouldn't even go that far myself, but we should certainly cut the state subsidies to private healthcare, i.e. tax relief on insurance, tax relief to developers of clinics. We should also be charging full economic cost for private beds in public hospitals.

Let the private healthcare industry continue, but it has to stand on its own two feet without state subsidy (pretty much like the UK).