Why do we not have Uber in Ireland?

It's very frustrating. I've used Uber dozens of times in USA and Europe, always great service.

Irish taxis can be very variable; most are fine, but some are atrocious and you can't do much about it. With Uber the drivers are so keen to please and get their 5 star review. Passengers are also rated so it encourages customers to behave too.

In USA I've been offered cold water, chewing gum, you can play your own Spotify, etc. Last week I politely asked an Irish taxi driver if he could turn down the radio and I thought he was going to kick me out of the car!

I don't buy the security/safety arguments either. I booked a taxi last year on Hailo and when he arrived the plate number was different to the app. The driver was very aggressive and said that he had left his own cab in for repair and borrowed his friend's taxi. I cancelled, he went berserk, and when I reported him the response was effectively a shrug. On Uber (and Hailo to be fair) there is a photo of the driver, car details, and the company can track things, so much safer.

Uber is all cards too which means better tax compliance...

Uber is here.They use licensed taxi drivers.
What you are asking for is unlicensed private car drivers to drive you around. This is not legal here.
A key part of Ubers model is surge pricing in busy periods.This is also illegal.
If Uber want to sign up say a thousand taxi drivers to work for peanuts,apart from 4 hours a day where they can earn the standard fares,then good luck to them.
In London,they use private hire licenses,which aren't issued here at all(commonly known as Hackney's) so that route is closed to them also.
However,I refuse to believe that the situation is anywhere near as dire as Adrian portrays.An hour to get a taxi to the airport!
When an airport job goes up on mytaxi it is responded to normally in under a minute.
(The same mytaxi that is predominantly card based,has a rating system,and gives you the driver details )
Disclaimer:I am a taxi driver

Not wishing to derail this thread but I've used a number of taxis recently and of the last five three of the cars absolutely stank. In two of those cases the driver was the source. I'm not sure about the third. I will frequently move along the queue of cars at a rank until I see one that I want to use. If I'm paying the same price i'd rather be brought home in a clean S-Class Merc than a dirty smelly Avensis.
I've used Uber in the USA but I'd rather use a taxi. I remember the bad old days of 2-3 hour queues in Dublin for a cab. The service is great now though, along with most of my friends, I've stopped using mytaxi since they introduced the €2 pick-up charge. The whole point of the App was that a car which was passing by could get a local fair.

The €2 pick up charge was always a legal charge sanctioned by the NTA .Mytaxi discounted it for a few years to build up their business. Most of your friends might have told you that they no longer use mytaxi.
Judging by the amount of work on the app,I'd say at least some of them might have stopped using it for a few weeks,only.
If you have any issues about a taxi under any of the following headings,please make a complaint so the whole industry can improve

'Section 64 of the Taxi Regulation Act 2013 sets out the categories of complaint that can be dealt with by the Authority. These include complaints relating to:

1. The condition, roadworthiness and cleanliness of the vehicle;
  2. The conduct, behaviour and identification of an SPSV driver;
  3. Overcharging and other matters relating to fares;
  4. The hiring and booking of the SPSV; and
  5. Identification and general appearance of the SPSV'

So Uber lobbied privately to be allowed to operate in Ireland.

The records show Moran claimed special access to Noonan in his work for Uber – in effect a back-channel – saying, when preparing an Uber event in January 2016 to launch its Limerick service centre, that he could drop a “separate note” from the company to the minister’s house on a Sunday “without it forming part of the official” departmental records.

In another message saying he could leave some documents “without ringing the bell”, Moran told MacGann: “If he texted back to come in, well that is something different.” MacGann had asked whether Noonan might be available for a private chat in Limerick.

“Alternatively try obby Byrne’s or outh’s and you might find him ‘resting’ anyway!” wrote Moran, referring to well-known pubs in the city.

They should have lobbied on the record.

And they should have created a public demand for it.

Do we know why the taxi regulator blocked them?

Last taxi the wife and I were in was a 10 year old superb, had several warning lights on and was beyond end of life.

Driver moaned mechanic made mistake and cut a belt, absolute heap

Got us home but that is the standard and the taxi lobby is strong.

Far too many rubbish cars in the taxi fleet.

Last taxi the wife and I were in was a 10 year old superb, had several warning lights on and was beyond end of life.

Driver moaned mechanic made mistake and cut a belt, absolute heap

Got us home but that is the standard and the taxi lobby is strong.

Far too many rubbish cars in the taxi fleet.
I'd say you are incorrect that the standard is a 10 year old heap,but then I would say that because 1.I'm a taxi driver and 2.i have access to the statistics.

These figures would be skewed because drivers got an extra 2 years to use their taxis because of covid,and so very few new taxis were purchased in 20/21.

the 10 yr old rule which was put on hold during Covid will shortly be reimposed. interesting article here from last month

I'd say you are incorrect that the standard is a 10 year old heap,but then I would say that because 1.I'm a taxi driver and 2.i have access to the statistics.

These figures would be skewed because drivers got an extra 2 years to use their taxis because of covid,and so very few new taxis were purchased in 20/21.

Do you have access to any stats on how many taxis are EVs? I couldn't find any official info but I read that in 2021 there were about 600 electric taxis funded by the grant, which would mean almost 80% of all new taxis were electric. There are so many electric VW ID4s and MGs taxis about the place. There's funding for at least 750 EV taxi grants for 2022 so within a few years we could see a majority of taxis are EVs.

The important point was the poor running and state of the car. and multiple warning lights

Lot of the Taxi fleet is poor with premium prices.

Normally try to pick a better car, but the wife gets annoyed with me when I do this.

If I put a premium car on the road(say a 40k Camry) to match up to your perception of premium prices,my costs per hour would be about €12.50.
In a 40 hour week I would expect to take in after commission about €900-€1000 .
I as a driver would be providing a 40k car to make significantly less than any job in Dublin.

The European Commission is looking into Spain's ban on such apps.

Brussels has begun a preliminary probe into whether moves by the Spanish government to protect the taxi industry by limiting private hire services such as Uber, Bolt and Cabify breach European law. Ride-hailing apps have been fighting for years to unlock the Spanish market, one of their largest sources of untapped growth in Europe, in the face of repeated attempts by city authorities to limit the number of licences available to private hire vehicles.

The EU’s inquiry, or “pilot procedure”, is in response to industry complaints over fresh curbs that Spain’s national government introduced last month on the transport apps. Madrid set “environmental and traffic management criteria” as part of those regulations, designating the traditional taxi industry a “public interest service”.

Restrictions on ride-hailing apps have put Spain, alongside Japan and Italy, among the toughest markets in the world for services such as Uber. A relaxation of what the tech platforms described in their letter to the EU as “disproportionate and discriminatory restrictions” on their operations could provide a valuable source of growth. While Spain is facing the EU probe, authorities in Italy have received criticism for long queues at taxi ranks at airports and stations during the recent heatwave, adding pressure on them to grant more licences to private hire vehicles.

I was in Lithuania recently (Kaunas, beautiful city) courtesy of cheap Ryanair flights and we used the Bolt App for transport. It was brilliant.

Back