Key Post Why Bitcoin has value

Status
Not open for further replies.
Theres a social aspect to Bitcoin and crptocurrencies, similar to Facebook etc.
A lot of people had Facebook written off as a business model but it appears to be going from strength to strength.
Other social activities like religion and the GAA have stood the test of time so maybe the same with this.

That is what the crypto, blockchain space purports to offer – a trustless system. It takes out the need to trust, because over time, be it today, tomorrow or a hundred years from now, human trust is invariably broken at some point.
Let's say a modest new car is 1 bitcoin at today's prices. Do you trust that 1 on your SmartPhone (complete with QR code, of course) will buy you a car today, tomorrow or a hundred years from now?

Let's say a modest new car is 1 bitcoin at today's prices. Do you trust that 1 on your SmartPhone (complete with QR code, of course) will buy you a car today, tomorrow or a hundred years from now?

That's the point though, you can't rely on anything holding its value for 100 years or any long enough time frame, you can't even assume any current currency will still exist.

I really enjoy listening to Trace Mayer, one of my fav bitcoin maximalists.

In this recent and wide ranging interview he talks about how he got into Bitcoin and why, discusses what he refers to as the 7 network effects of Bitcoin, discusses the currency wars that are occurring right now between USA, China and Russia and makes the case that Bitcoin can be the single best global reserve currency; also discusses Bitcoin scaling, price movements and touches on alt coins.

https://www.theepochtimes.com/trace-mayer-bitcoin-can-become-reserve-asset_2418481.html

Last edited:
All very interesting but if nobody wants it, it is worthless. It does not pay dividends or pays interest. There are no coupons and no one guarantees the returns. What ever your fine arguements if no one wants it it is worthless.

All very interesting but if nobody wants it, it is worthless. It does not pay dividends or pays interest. There are no coupons and no one guarantees the returns. What ever your fine arguements if no one wants it it is worthless.
NYSE are starting to cuddle it

Yes but no dividends, coupons, interest, no guarantees and what is the NAV? If you buy BAT you get a yield of 6.81% per annum now. If you buy Royal Dutch Shell you get a dividend yield of 6.82%. The issue is if nobody wants bitcoins they are worthless,

You won't find anyone throwing them away though and it's very simple, in that if you have no sense of value in them don't have anything to do with Bitcoin. Leave that to the "experts" You know what they say?

If nobody wanted it, you’d be right, the market has a different opinion

yes, I am right but markets can have a difference of opinion and the price can go higher, much higher or much lower depending on how the market prices bitcoin. The point I am making is the price of bitcoin is based solely on market opinion and if you want to gamble. Gamble, just remember you are gambling and not investing.

What other financial product can i buy where the value is not based “only on market opinion”?

Please share!

As it stands today - and over the past 10.5 years, you're not right. Nobody is suggesting it's a stock or anything like a stock - so stop trying to compare it with a stock. What you can compare it to is gold. The very same 'criticism' you have for Bitcoin you could level at gold.

It's a non correlated digital asset and store of value. It's unconfiscatable, immutable, borderless and permissionless.

As regards the market being wrong, how many boom and busts do you think are required until it dies then?

Regarding gold, my girlfriend loves it, so do my sisters, and my mother I don't know how they would react if I gave them bitcoins. And gold has been a great store of value since king Nebuchadnezzar.

I accept what you say about boom and busts I would just hate to see someone sink his last euro into bitcoins and the price to plummet.

Regarding gold, my girlfriend loves it, so do my sisters, and my mother I don't know how they would react if I gave them bitcoins. And gold has been a great store of value since king Nebuchadnezzar.
This gets trotted out in the debate time and time again. However, by far the main use of gold is as a hedge and/or speculative asset (NOT as jewelry). As the US dropped the gold standard in the 70's, the precious metal went on to achieve appreciation of 1,365% that decade. It's been less spectacular since.

I would just hate to see someone sink his last euro into bitcoins and the price to plummet.
I'm pretty sure nobody here suggested that anyone put their 'last euro' in Bitcoin. However, I believe it's equally negligent not to have 5% of portfolio in BTC as it stands right now. The potential upside vs. downside justifies that risk in an otherwise balanced portfolio.
Whichever way you slice n' dice it, the future is digital money. I see Bitcoin as playing a significant part in that development. Volatility provides both opportunity and risk - but this is a one off event. At some stage, it will be pretty darn boring (from a speculative trades perspective).

Last edited:
by far the main use of gold is as a hedge and/or speculative asset (NOT as jewelry).

The jewelry market accounts for over 50% of gold demand, bullion and coin production account for 25%, central bank purchases, ~5%, with the remainder going to electronics and other industry.

When someone buys jewelry and thinks it's a gold asset is not the same as buying actual gold?

Indeed and I agree, but i've no doubt they do.

Now, some may assign it a value above that of the market value for the gold content though. You know, the value in gift form of getting them out of a hole when they've done something wrong....potentially priceless

Status
Not open for further replies.