While Black Lives Matter so do women's lives in extremist countries

Purple

A 14 year old gild was decapitated by her father in Iran for eloping with an older man. Under Iran's laws his sentence will be mitigated because it was an honour killing. Iran's laws are relatively progressive in these matters; in countries like Saudi Arabia he would not have even committed a crime, they still stone women to death there for attempting to assert their basic rights.

Black lives only matter in the context of the perpetrator being white.
In your example, the father wasn't white so I rule it inadmissible.

Black lives only matter in the context of the perpetrator being white.
In your example, the father wasn't white so I rule it inadmissible.
Black Lives Matter as a movement is about a minority being unfairly treated by those in power. The same applies to women in most Islamic and Hindu societies and under developed countries generally.

Black Lives Matter as a movement is about a minority being unfairly treated by those in power. The same applies to women in most Islamic and Hindu societies and under developed countries generally.

Republicans feel they were treated very unfairly by those in power in the US 2008-2016.

And are women are a minority? If they were 51% of the population would it make a difference?

I don't see the connection, it seems to diminish both situations to compare what happened in Minneapolis & Iran. They are horrific enough in their own right.

Republicans feel they were treated very unfairly by those in power in the US 2008-2016.
Really?

And are women are a minority? If they were 51% of the population would it make a difference?
They are virtually powerless in those countries.

I don't see the connection, it seems to diminish both situations to compare what happened in Minneapolis & Iran. They are horrific enough in their own right.
You can't see the connection between groups of people who are marginalised and mistreated on one side and those in power, with the power and institutions and laws and establishment, on the other?

Middle aged white men, for the most part, run the world. The status quo generally suits them 9I'm one of them). Therefore they change nothing. It is young people, women, members of the LGBT community and those in the margins who change things when the way things are disenfranchises them.

Really?
They are virtually powerless in those countries.
You can't see the connection between groups of people who are marginalised and mistreated on one side and those in power, with the power and institutions and laws and establishment, on the other?
Middle aged white men, for the most part, run the world. The status quo generally suits them 9I'm one of them). Therefore they change nothing. It is young people, women, members of the LGBT community and those in the margins who change things when the way things are disenfranchises them.

The 'virtually powerless' do not send someone to the White House, via the Senate, elected through the Democratic Party which is dependent on black votes & are in power in Minnesota & Minneapolis.
Are there many female mayors, judges, police officers, army officers in Iran or Saudi Arabia to compare to the number of African Americans in such positions of authority?

Was it a middle aged white man who committed the horrific act in Iran?

Are the leaders of China, Germany, India, Japan & the EU (Commission) middle aged white men?

So no, I don't see connections you are attempting to draw, as they don't exist.

You can hold more that 1 thought at a time.... Especially when they relate to the same theme of justice for all human beings.

I wouldn't begrudge BLM its attention, it is the most ...err...pressing issue in the US. In Iran its treatment of women. In Ireland its probably asylum seekers and travellers. Yes, yes, we all know a traveller who done us wrong, or rode the system, or won't meet us half way, and sure aren't they Irish anyway.... etc. etc., but as a society could we stop using the K word and coming out with the most vile "solutions" and opinions. There are many settled folk who wouldn't be my cup of tea either, but I don't usually lose the plot entirely if they come up for discussion.

So embracing one movement moves us along to track...... whataboutery of competing causes is missing the point entirely.

The 'virtually powerless' do not send someone to the White House, via the Senate, elected through the Democratic Party which is dependent on black votes & are in power in Minnesota & Minneapolis.
Black people in the USA are more likely to be poor, more likely to be in prison and more likely to die young. Unless you are suggesting that the colour of their s kin is the reason for that then there has to be another reason. Given that a large proportion of the black population were oppressed through legislation until 50 years ago, given the disproportionately low spend on health and education in the poorest demographics in America and given that America has one of the lowest rates of upward mobility in the developed world (if you're born poor you'll die poor) in my opinion it is rediculous to suggest that there is not an inbuilt bias against black people in America.
Are there many female mayors, judges, police officers, army officers in Iran or Saudi Arabia to compare to the number of African Americans in such positions of authority?
Yes, there were rich and powerful Catholics in Ireland 200 years ago but that doesn't mean being Catholic wasn't an economic and social disadvantage.
Was it a middle aged white man who committed the horrific act in Iran?
No. Did anyone say it was? I presume he was Persian (so more white than black).
Are the leaders of China, Germany, India, Japan & the EU (Commission) middle aged white men?
Are you serious?
So no, I don't see connections you are attempting to draw, as they don't exist.
Fair enough, most people do see that those who are generally excluded from power and privilege generally don't get the same as the people who make the rules, but you're entitled to your opinion.

This is from a site called Of Dollars and Data, its a fantastic resource for understanding the data points relating to current narratives, US finance based.

https://ofdollarsanddata.com/racial-wealth-gap/

"As you can see, the typical Black household with a college degree has a net worth of $68,000 while the typical White household with no high school diploma has a net worth of $62,000. Of the thousands of charts that I have produced on this blog, this one might be the most shocking."

Duke, I wouldn't worry about it. Also, shouldn't we make an odd stand for what is right?
He should have limited his comments to being anti racism, including here in Ireland Accusing Trump of lacking moral leadership was populist pandering to the national self righteous almost universal loathing of the man (shared by me). At least 40% of Americans support the Donald. They are not all missing our moral spine.
Listened to Joe the other day. He was interviewing a former US ambassador to the UN and fellow moral critic of Trumpism. Joe asked her several times was there any historical leader to whom The Donald compared. She ducked the question. Joe would probably have settled for his namesake Mr Stalin though he obviously wanting the daddy of them all.
Let's get some proportion here. He ain't a nice man. But he ain't devil incarnate either.

Last edited:
All the attention over the last 2 weeks is on "black lives matter" but only in western countries, surely the movement should be putting its resources into making "black lives matter" in Africa where black people are the poorest and have the worst prospects.

Joe, I guess its the fact that its wilful hate/hubris with a racial angle that's causing the problem is what makes it a dynamic cause. Of course black lives matter in Africa too, but you need to fix;
> Aids
>Population
>Agriculture
>Control of natural resources
>Education
>Political accountability

Mostly fairly complex issues requiring a lot of money and will to fix. I will grant you that, apart from the historical context, maybe they are not all the fault of the white man, so that makes them less of a rallying cry.

So the immediacy of "white cops stop killing black people" is hard to ....err....Trump.

Duke: he's probably the most devisive and damaging US president we've seen, and a totally thick <expletive> to boot. So I don't feel we should be led by 40% of Americans that chew tobaccy. I wasn't a fan of George Dubya, but he was their man and he seemed to be trying his best. This recent lad, he's off the charts, he has transcended politics, if by some miracle he is dislodged in November then the world will be a safer and better place.

...if by some miracle he is dislodged in November...
Betfair said:
Joe Biden 1.97 favourite, Donald Trump 2.32
So the Betfair punters think there is a 51% chance that Biden will win and a 43% chance that Trump will win.
That implies a 6% chance that neither will win. How can that be? Well neither is a spring chicken and there is 5 months to go. Next in the betting is Hilary Clinton to give us a replay of 2016. Then comes Mike Pence.

Last edited:
So the Betfair punters think there is a 51% chance that Biden will win and a 43% chance that Trump will win.
but betfair would be international so alot of international punters that dont really know whats happening in the US have taken a punt against Trump. However the bookmakers based in the US have Trump as favourite and they are US punters who have a vote aswell. If the stock market does not fall and there is no return of corona virus and economy stays improving I think Trump gets back in. Trump talks alot but actually doesn't rock the boat that much he resisted imposing sanctions on China because he knew that would shock the stock market (even though he talked alot about punishing China), if anything the S&P500 is the real president of the US because Trump is very subservient to the markets surprisingly

Back