Where will we be?

i'm an atheist and i have a problem with that statement.

Substitute polish, chinese, asian, gays or whatever you fancy for 'priests' in that sentence and see if you're still prepared to clap like a seal.

+1

In 10 yrs time I would love to see the Church on its knees, a ruined institution, complete with thousands of priests behind bars, irrespective of their age. Hunted and put away like the evil scum they were.

There are still good people in the church. What needs to be done is to weed out the evil that is within it and make sure these people are banished for good. If they are going to preach against evil, then they must look at their own ranks first.

There are still good people in the church. What needs to be done is to weed out the evil that is within it and make sure these people are banished for good. If they are going to preach against evil, then they must look at their own ranks first.

Given the abuse carried on by "bad" priests and the subsequent cover-up by bishops and higher, what, if anything, did the "good" priests do when all this was going on / came to light? To me it looks like they did nothing. Given what they are happy to preach about, I would have expected at least a march to Rome. By the way, I'm not agreeing with RMCF - that's crazy, but I think my question is valid and it's the primary reason we're not going to church.

I don't buy that. All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing. And a lot of so called good men and women did absolutely nothing and continue to do so.

Just reading there about the end of the Euro and that things are STILL getting worse - heres a question, what would happen a tracker mortgage if the whole pack of cards comes tumbling down?

Elephantfresh started a great thread as in Where will we be . . .? I am probably one of the oldest posters here and though cynical occasionally I can (at least) give some of my life experiences as a guide having worked in the public service, later working in private industry and subsequently as a self employed small-time operator with a small staff of apprenctice cynics.

The decade starting 1950 was dreadful with mass unemployment in a fledgling state and almostvnowhere to go but to the UK or USA seeking any kind of work usually labouring. Mr Lemass promised the rising tide would lift all ships - great catch phrase.

The 1960s were somewhat of an improvement, but still with great unemployment and also mass emigration. As a teenager I met my first non-white person. Wednesday was the official half-day and if you could afford to rent a television (yes rent) you were better off than most. "Free Education" was introduced and suddenly we had an educated unemployed. Our roads were fairly empty as very few could afford a car.

On came the 1970s, still unemployment persisted for many, but the Social Welfare payouts improved. We went into the EEC (now EU) and were promised the sun, moon and stars by our politicians. However, most people improved their lot and there was a kind of camaderie by buying Irish to support Irish industry. There was a great improvement in peoples' living and there was a housing boom and you bought a 3 bedroom house for £7000.00 (Púnts).

Then we went into the 80s, roads improved, housing boom continued and if you worked for any bank you were the envy of all. The interest rate went through the roof (19.5%), the banks just thought up reasons (any reason) to hike the interest rate. Unemployment was still a thorn in our side.

Into the 90s . . . things improved again and for once unemployment appeared to be an unfond memory. Work for nearly everybody and suddenly families had two cars, credit cards, holidays abroad and along came huge immigration.

The 2000s (Noughties) demanded that nearly every school leaver would go to university. The banks went mad. Our Taoiseach said the famous phrase "The Boom has got Boomier . . ." and suddenly the bubble bust and we are now back to a situation resembling the 1950s again.

In a sentence were were always in recession with a glitch along the way which we enjoyed too much (the Boom) and we will continue in recession for many years to come. And many of us were not used to much else.

And will we see the people who caused the recession imprisoned ? Well, I hope to be around then.

Back