Where to stay in Vienna?

T

tedd

Anyone been to Vienna? Looking for suggestions for a nice hotel in Vienna for a weekend stay in December, ideally a comfortable spot with a good central location.

(And if anyone has other must-do, must-see or must-eat tips for Vienna, let me know!) Thanks

A colleague of mine has just returned from same so I asked him. Looks like reasonable advice :

we stayed at the Savoy (not THE Savoy!), booked at www.lodgingaustria.com. Hotel's a bit old, but it's clean and rooms were very big.
It's just outside the main "ring" to the south-west of the centre. Easy to access by subway or tram if you're coming from the airport; subway stop is Neubaugasse, which is on the U3 line, a couple of stops from Westbahnhof if you get the airport bus, or about 5 stops from Landestrasse if you get the airport train.) You can walk to the Museum Quarter in about 15 minutes. We booked rooms for €95 and €120, but when we checked out we were charged a lot less (something like 55 and 75 I think; in any case the total for two rooms - one slightly nicer but both the same size - for two nights worked out at 261.) It might be worth ringing the hotel directly just so you know what you're going to end up paying!

Some of the very popular tourist activities book out in advance, so if your friend will want to see the Spanish Riding School or the Vienna Boys' Choir then it's worth sorting that out before they go. City centre is very manageable on foot, but it's worth getting a 24-hour or 72-hour public transport ticket, then you can just get on a passing tram if it's going your direction.

Thanks for posting and grateful if anyone else has further info.

Tedd,

Whilst this thread mentions it in title unfortunately it does not contain much on

stayed here in may this year. great location, and wonderful restaurants/bars just a couple mintues alk away. metro stop near by also. 10 minute walk to the centre through wondeful streets of vienna....magic!!!
[broken link removed]

Hotel Kummer, right in the middle of the city. It's a 4* with very spacious rooms, very clean and friendly staff. We visit Vienna annually and always stay here.
Very reasonable in Winter months and you can walk to museum centre in less than 10 minutes. Last Feb we paid only €38 each incl breakfast. Don't let the price put you off - it really is a good place to stay.
The following link is great for all accommodation in Austria - good prices generally.

[broken link removed]

valc

Book like a local and get a better rate.<!--EZCODE BR START--><!--EZCODE BR END--><!--EZCODE BR START--><!--EZCODE BR END-->Some German -<!--EZCODE LIST START--><ul><li>Vienna / Wien</li><li>Austria / Österreich</li><li>Einzel / single (not group)</li><li>cancellation / Stornieren</li></ul><!--EZCODE LIST END-->No CC required. Just book and go. The trusting Teutons!

Thanks for all great info. Apparently this is a busy time of year because of the Christmas markets and some hotels have surcharges and/or are fully booked for weekend nights.

I think we have the makings of a weekend breaks key post here, so feel free to add any other advice or suggestions.

thanks,
tedd

Back