Where to find an architect

cojm

Have site and would like to build a house which has been designed. I have looked into using an architectual firm, but there cost are from €6,000 to 10% of building cost. I am not looking to have a team of architect working on my modest 2,500 to 3,000 sq ft house. But i would prefere to build some other than 4 straight up walls. At the moment there must be architects out there who are at a loose end and would be willing to work directly. All frims i contacted in my area had a price and that was it. The generanl area i am in is west of ireland, Galway/westmeath/roscommon.

Any help would be great.

€6000 does not seem excessive for designing a 3000 sq ft house.In fact looks like a bargain if it is by an experienced professional architect.

You would normally need to factor 15-20% of you build budget for your professional fees, architect, engineer for their input and oversight through the build project.

You are getting this at a good rate as it is and you would probably be in strong position to negotiate a full package including an engineer which is worth its weight in removing stress and worry from yourself.

The brief by yourself to the architect will determine the final vision of the project but you must remember that it is your home and you should not be led astray by the fanciful notions of an architect without the input of several building contractors who can view the practical side of things.

If you were able to define a detailed description and write a brief for the project you could look to put the project out to tender as a design & build thus getting your contractor to have the initial inputs with the concept plans.

I cant help you with any recommendations in the area you are in, check out the professional associations for contacts in your area.

you clearly do not understand the full range of services an architect can give you....

perhaps you should clearly write down what services you require in order to obtain quotations for...

for example, if you only want a design + planning service so be it.. it should cost in the region of 1-2%... thats somewhere around €2,000 - €3,000...

so on top of that you may require a professional to 'sign off' the build to draw down mortgage payments.. this can cost in the region of 1.5 - 2K.... remember this is purely an inspection engagement, not a supervisory role.. that, including contract management, can cost around 4-5K....

so really you get what you pay for.... little architectural input usually equates to an average result.... is 'average' what you want to spend in excess of €200,000 on??

Thanks all. Where my problem is that i am an engineer. I work in the construction industry, mostly on one off private houses through out the country. I have already have a plan on paper and autocad, but it needs a design element. We already know most internal design freatures and room layouts. My problem is that in my business over the last year we have had to approach each new project differenlty as each client now wants to cut cost as much as possible. The architects who i deal with every day dont want to hear of this. It is a different economic climate out there and my professional fees are now 50% less than last year.

Sounds like you just want someone to 'draw up your plans'..... an architectural tchnician should be able to do this for you....

Its incredibly hard for any designer to receive an already designed plan and be expected to just throw some 'design' at it... designing means taking the problem from the beginning, evaluating the problem, analysing different solutions to come to a resolution. You have already done this, by laying out the plans, sizing the rooms etc so it doesnt look like you need the services of a 'designer'.... unless your willing to forgo your initial sketch should the need arise....

Syd. He wants a designer. He can already draw. Only someone with architectural design training can turn an assembly of rooms into a functional composition of light and space, suited perfectly for a particular site and a unique client requirements. Only Architects have this level of design training. He would also need a technician or an energy consultant as a 3000m2 house designed to A3 standard will cost €1,800 a year to heat at our present cheap energy prices. It will cost €6,000 by 2020 at least. To design or build anything less than passive would be reckless. Passive costs about 4% over Part L 2008 but has 1/3 of the running costs. Most of this saving comes from clever design. An Architect can 3000 sq ft of rooms, halls and corridors into 2000 sq ft of quality space through clever design and interconnection of rooms and uses. That skill can save 30% on costs for the client.

Its good to see that engineers, surveyors and technicians are now recognizing that the one off houses they have been putting through planning lack sufficient thought and skill to give that sense of place and timeless quality which makes for a nice place to live. Now its only a pity that many architects dont understand building energy and moisture management.

Syd. He wants a designer. He can already draw. Only someone with architectural design training can turn an assembly of rooms into a functional composition of light and space, suited perfectly for a particular site and a unique client requirements. Only Architects have this level of design training. He would also need a technician or an energy consultant as a 3000m2 house designed to A3 standard will cost €1,800 a year to heat at our present cheap energy prices. It will cost €6,000 by 2020 at least. To design or build anything less than passive would be reckless. Passive costs about 4% over Part L 2008 but has 1/3 of the running costs. Most of this saving comes from clever design. An Architect can 3000 sq ft of rooms, halls and corridors into 2000 sq ft of quality space through clever design and interconnection of rooms and uses. That skill can save 30% on costs for the client.

Its good to see that engineers, surveyors and technicians are now recognizing that the one off houses they have been putting through planning lack sufficient thought and skill to give that sense of place and timeless quality which makes for a nice place to live. Now its only a pity that many architects dont understand building energy and moisture management.

Buildright, what you say is fine if the OP is willing to forget his already laid out plans...... I have direct experience of clients coming in with already sketched out plans and room layouts.... They are always the most difficult because they have become inflexible due to the layout they already have 'designed'. Then are then very hesitant to change layouts etc which may make infinate more sense due to orientation etc....

If the Op really and truly wants "an assembly of rooms into a functional composition of light and space, suited perfectly for a particular site and a unique client requirements." the first thing him or her should do rip up the sketch and write down exactly what accommodation they are looking for, specific features they may desire and how they feel teh layout should flow... but no more!.. They should then trust the architect to do when he/she is educated, trained and enthused to do.... design the dwelling.

i completely agree that the most significant energy saving measure any prospective builder can do is get the passive solar design correct.... this costs nothing, its 'pay back' period is instant.....

cojm,
I'm an engineer (as is my wife) and we designed our own house, or should i say my wife did...she had the better ideas. Looking back we're very happy with the end result however if I'm honest sometimes I wonder what kind of slant/concept an architect would have come up with. Having said that the type of architects we would have considered would have costed €20k to 30k .......just for the design! That's 3 years ago.........now I know people will say you can get architects for alot cheaper (especially now)which is true......but i suppose you get what you pay for at the end of the day.......j

I too am an engineer who spent most of my life working with multidisciplinary practices. There is no way I would build my own house without major input from a qualified architect experienced in domestic house design ( 10 years minimum).

Back