Case study When to inform revenue of death of spouse.

Buffet

Hi,

I was wondering if there is an expected timeline for doing this, if somebody could advise.

It concerns a married couple, where the husband has recently died.
The wife required a new PPSN to be created, as she was previously working from a "W" number, which will be retired now that her husband has died.
This number has been set up, and she now has been set up with "MyAccount" details.

Revenue has linked her new account to her husband's details, and civil status still reads as "Married".

When should that status be updated?
Some advice was to not update until tax returns for 2019 were completed (in progress) - is this the correct course of action, or is this irrelevant?

In case it is relevant, probate is required, and this process has been started, but not ready to be requested yet.
There are a couple of private pensions, one of which has been transferred over, the other is in the process of being transferred.

thanks in advance for your help.

I think you should contact Revenue immediately by email and keep a copy of any correspondence.

Because she has been given a new PPS no the state already knows about the death of her husband. The units all share info. When my father died last year the family did delay a few weeks before informing revenue as he was due a payment from the dept of Ag, in a week or two after his death. Once that was in his bank account revenue was informed, it was no more than 6 weeks after his death because they did not want to fall foul of the dept of social welfare. If the check had not arrived by then they would have coped with the significantly delayed payment. I think my poor Mum is now on her 4th pps number, due to the way they were changed on marriage etc.

Back