When applying for a new passport do they take your current one?

In case anyone missed it the €80 charge still applies at the moment for the An Post applications whereas it costs €95 to call to the counter or send in a standard post application.

Not anymore. All passports are sent back to Ireland for processing and issuing.

Are you sure that is the case of Switzerland? Under Swiss law, we are required to carry a valid passport at all times. And my understanding is that the EU countries have a shared machine in Bern for producing the passports...

Jim.

Just picked up form from local post office - only looking for two photo's. Have they gone back from four to two?

Are you sure that is the case of Switzerland? Under Swiss law, we are required to carry a valid passport at all times. And my understanding is that the EU countries have a shared machine in Bern for producing the passports...

Jim.

I know this is an old comment, but wanted to say that in my experience when renewing through an embassy you get to keep your passport. I presumed it was because being non-national, you could be required to produce your documentation at any time. Previously when I renewed in my home country they did not return my old passport at all, I presume it was destroyed.