What's the obsession with the Titanic?

I wonder will any of the info at the new Titanic museum tell of the rampant sectarianism against Catholics at the shipyard?

Somehow doubt it.

Let if go, do you want it also to include the targetting of H&W workers by the PIRA?

If we go down that road no-one will visit the thing.

I wonder will any of the info at the new Titanic museum tell of the rampant sectarianism against Catholics at the shipyard?

Somehow doubt it.

I don't know if there were any Catholics there to be sectarian against.

The surrounding areas to this day are still inhabited exclusively by Protestants and there wasn't a public transport system in 1910 to deliver a diverse workforce.

Actually, it got worse for RCS after 1922 .Prior to then at the docks my grandad knew a few RCs -whether he drank with them or beat them up I don't know, maybe both . In the twenties he never met one.

I don't know if there were any Catholics there to be sectarian against..
There were a few. My Great-Grandfather was one of them. His name was Liam, but was known as Billy when he went to work so that he didn't attract unwanted attention with a Catholic sounding name.
The surrounding areas to this day are still inhabited exclusively by Protestants and there wasn't a public transport system in 1910 to deliver a diverse workforce.
Not really, Ballymacarratt/Short Strand had/has a large Catholic poplulation.

It highlights the sort of working environment that H & W promoted.

I will admit that the Titanic was a great feat of engineering, but I sometimes get fed up listening to the hoopla around the Belfast shipyard and the whole Titanic mania, when it had such evil at its core.

I'll leave the topic now. The Titanic anniversary is over for another 25yrs. Hooray.

Back