What's the obsession with the Titanic?

I do wonder if it is really wise for jobs investment in Northern Ireland that the only manufacturing they ever celebrate is the Titanic and the DeLorean.

I do wonder if it is really wise for jobs investment in Northern Ireland that the only manufacturing they ever celebrate is the Titanic and the DeLorean.

That's not fair; they made their fair share of pipe bombs as well.

"I do wonder if it is really wise for jobs investment in Northern Ireland that the only manufacturing they ever celebrate is the Titanic and the DeLorean."..........

: ) ... given them credit, at least they've harnessed all these skills in working with metals to produce lots of tin whistles and flutes!

If Aberdeen has this investment and anticipating the tourist numbers then William Neill would be welcoming the events.
For now he seems bitter and jealous

"The city has lived with the shame of the sinking for many years.

I've never heard of anyone blaming the city and its workers

Are Seattle ashamed if an incompetent pilot crashes a Boeing?

Disasters sell, the story has captured imaginations internationally. They're just milking it, and why not.

It was the 9/11 story of the previous century. The unimaginable destruction of something high profile with the loss of countless lives.

Belfast has an industrial heritage that any city in Europe would be proud of. Unfortunately the troubles wiped most of it out.

Trying to use google to find Dublin manufacturing of the same period as Titanic and other sister-ships were being made in Belfast, I can find a telescope factory in Rathmines.

True, I was in Kerala India last year and was doing a tour of a Tea Plantation, when one of the workers heard I was from Ireland he brought me into original tea sorting area and showed me a machine that had Made in Belfast, Ireland 1901 proudly emblazoned on it.

Belfast still has a significant manufacturing base. Aerospace and medical devices for the most part. I use a few companies up there.

There is world interest in Titanic.
Can anyone blame Belfast for trying to make some tourist dollars...

This country needs all the tourists it can get.

I get a sinking feeling whenever I read anything about that bloody ship!

I wonder will any of the info at the new Titanic museum tell of the rampant sectarianism against Catholics at the shipyard?

Somehow doubt it.