What's the most important job done in the country?

Does food just appear in Japan ???

As i have proved you don't need technology to produce food. But you need food to produce everything else.

Look at the alotment movement at the moment.

I think people are at cross purposes here. The thread title is 'What's the most important job done in the country?' which I, and obviously others, take to mean Ireland. Ron, and others, seem to be arguing from a global point of view.

I stand by my assertion that Ireland could do without Irish farmers. I believe (in keeping with the title of the thread) that import/export jobs are ultimately the most important jobs.

No my point is simple. You'll do nothing without grub. No one can do nothing without grub.

Without the people growing the food we can't do anything else.

Still don't get your point. We could easily import our food and not have a single item of food produced here. Think Dublin but apply it to the whole country.

Well you do need a bit of Grub, but you also do really need a drop of wine or a few pint Glasses of Beer and or Ale (not excluding Stouts such as Guinness) preferably washed down by a Ball of the finest Irish malt whiskey if you so wish. So perhaps I am saying the various brewing ppl and associated auxiliary industry is quiet important, but then so are the ones who make the Fish n Chips of the actuary blocker variety so welcome after a evening/nights soakage. Food is good, beer is good.

It depends on the time-frame one is talking about. I'd go for the job done by mothers, bearing and rearing children.

Can't pump much water without electricity, so ESB workers?

True but there's always wind power and I can think of a few who have plenty of hot air but are on a long extended holiday (2 months to be exact).

There are approx 4,000,000 people in Ireland

14 or 15,000 garda can't control all of them.

No my point is simple. You'll do nothing without grub. No one can do nothing without grub.

Without the people growing the food we can't do anything else.

I remember a guy managed to survive for 60 odd days on no food.

You'd be lucky to survive a week on no water.

"I remember a guy managed to survive for 60 odd days on no food" you would do serious bodily damage for that lenght of time! Food is the basic need, its what drives every creature, the need to feed themselves and siblings. You try and tell a baby or child you not eating for 6 hours never mind a day.... you would have major issues, certainly health ones. Anyone who thinks that food is not one if not the most important requirement ...... has just consumed "Grub" recently.... I rest my case. Trocaire ring a bell!

The correct rearing of children is the most important job done in this Country.

All of what you say is true but it must be remembered that all our food is made from water and thus I rest my case...

I remember a guy managed to survive for 60 odd days on no food.

You'd be lucky to survive a week on no water.

Was he the guy who was found by a TV crew. Poor fella nearly took the hand of the camera man for his burger and while he was trying to eat it, the presenter kept asking him questions.

Now to be fair she didn't know he hadn't eaten for so long.

If its the same man he had some water and spared it.

Yes water in the source of life on the Planet, that's just a fact, when you brake things down to atomic levels..... in that case Hydrogen and Oxygen are very important especially when you have 2 Hydrogen's and 1 Oxygen knocking around in your larder ....just add some decayed plant life some Nitrogen and 2 level spoon full of mineral all sorts, add copious amounts of water and plant some Solanum tubers ... leave for about 6 to eight weeks @ constant temp, remove from soil, wash with some more H20..after thought.. peel, chop and submerge in the juice of some omnivores @ 100 deg C for 10 mins.... some newspaper (yesterdays) wrap

No it was a Bishop in Cork 80 or 90 years ago.

I believe he survived for 66 days with no food.

Yum getting hungry now.

Bit on a side issue how do you wash the stuff afterwards?

Ans. with H2O

Not sure where you are but there is a fantastic chipper in Sallynoggin called Rocca's they do the best chips I have ever tasted.

Washing afterwards...no no no.... needs some me time.... turns TV on and makes friends with some Ice cream. Roccas ah yes I know the one.... gets me every time... vinegar please!

Washing afterwards...no no no.... needs some me time.... turns TV on and makes friends with some Ice cream. Roccas ah yes I know the one.... gets me every time... vinegar please!

Well if I had to name the most important job that didn't involve food or water it would have to be give chips out but not with vinegar.