What you sign when you buy an apartment?

Lyndan

Hey All

This may seem like a really silly question and i suppose it is but here goes anyway.

We purchased an apartment last year and I dont remember signing anything for our solicitor. We lived in the UK at the time and i remember at the very start having to send over our passports for proof of ID but at the end of the sale we never went into see our solicitor or signed anything...

Is this strange? Its just lately my friends have all been going into 'close' in their solicitors office...

Help? :confused:

Seems strange all right.
Did you give your solicitor or some family member perhaps any type of power of attorney or right to sign on your behalf.
Go back to your solicitor and ask him/her.
Ask is the house registered in your name. This normally takes place after the sale (months later).
Is your solicitor aware that you have returned to Ireland. Perhaps he/she has not updated his files and is sending correspondence to your old UK address.

If you paid cash for the apartment (ie no Irish mortgage), and it was a second hand apartment in County Dublin ( or any other county after oct 05) you may only have had to sign the contracts which the solicitor could have posted to you in England, the solicitor may have signed these on your behalf but this would be quite unusual particularly if the solicitor did not know you personally. Although it is usual for purchasers to sign the transfer deed this is not always necessary depending on the transaction and registration can take place without it being signed by the purchaser.

Back