What was said to Zidane

dodo

Anyone know what was said to ZZ to make him do that awful headbutt to Materazzi,or any opinions at all. I think Italy deserved ie never a penalty, Itialian on side goal ruled out as player who scored was not one flaged for offside

ZZ may have been an excellent player during his career, but he also proved last night he is a true edjit...No matter what was said, his behavior was unacceptable. Should have been the end of the match and victory declared to Italy straight away.

bacchus said:
ZZ may have been an excellent player during his career, but he also proved last night he is a true edjit...

'may have been an excellent player' !!! Why the qualification ? He is, without doubt, the most gifted player since Maradona, bar none.

And, without the knowledge of what was said, who are we to judge ? If what was said to him was truly offensive, then what John Waters said about this on Newstalk this morning is on the money.

When he was sent off for stamping, against Saudi Arabia, in 1998, his response was that the Saudi player made an offensive reference to Zizou's Algerian roots, specifically the Arab tribe from which his bloodline originates.

TarfHead said:
And, without the knowledge of what was said, who are we to judge ?
Regardless of what might have been said there is absolutely no way that anybody can excuse his actions on the pitch last night or claim that a straight red was not merited.

TarfHead said:
'may have been an excellent player' !!! Why the qualification ? He is, without doubt, the most gifted player since Maradona, bar none.

you mean use of past tense?... because he is retired now.

I presume TarfHead wondered about your circumspection in using the work "may". I don't think that there's any doubt that he was an excellent player.

Well Zizou has won the best player of the tournament

Golden Ball

For those who missed the High Noon incident / Zizou the Bull click below

The Bull Zizou

Not condoning it but sad end to a genius of a player

They say its a thin line and this is the proof

I think he just didn't want to finish the game. The manager had just taken off Henry, and Viera had left the field either.

Zizu was looking at the muppets surrounding him and knew that there was no way they'd win a penalty shoot out.

Trezeguet would still have taken a penalty, so whether or not Zidane was on the pitch, they'd still have lost.

That image of him heading from the pitch, head bowed and passing the world cup trophy will haunt him. A sad end to a glorious career. If his header had gone in only a little earlier France prob would have won 2-1 with 2 goals from Zidane in the final again and we'd all be proclaiming him as up there with Pele and Maradona. Sadly, that muppet Matarazzi prob said something extremely distasteful. His reaction in such circumstances whilst not justified would be understandable.

Anyone spot Matarazzi's antics on the podium before they presented the trophy? You could see the other players were embarrassed.

ivuernis said:
If his header had gone in only a little earlier France prob would have won 2-1 with 2 goals from Zidane in the final again and we'd all be proclaiming him as up there with Pele and Maradona.

If ifs and buts were pots and pans...
Sadly, that muppet Matarazzi prob said something extremely distasteful.
That muppet has a winners medal this morning. Zizou does not.
His reaction in such circumstances whilst not justified would be understandable.
Not in my book.
Anyone spot Matarazzi's antics on the podium before they presented the trophy? You could see the other players were embarrassed.
I saw lots of grown men behaving in an embarrassing manner. Who cares? They just won the World Cup.

ClubMan said:
Yes - that's the most sensible explanation that I've heard so far alright... :D

Well, if it was something really insulting that was said to him, why didn't he just nut him properly instead of blousing out and going for the chest?

dodo said:
Anyone know what was said to ZZ to make him do that awful headbutt to Materazzi,or any opinions at all. I think Italy deserved ie never a penalty, Itialian on side goal ruled out as player who scored was not one flaged for offside
Your mother smells of elderberries

ronan_d_john said:
Well, if it was something really insulting that was said to him, why didn't he just nut him properly instead of blousing out and going for the chest?
:D

ronan_d_john said:
That thought did occur to me while watching the game alright!

How did he win best player award even if he was not sent off Cannavaro had to be the man of the world cup, Cannavaro did not have one bad game ,best player by a mile I thought, ZZ played well in 2 games, missed a game throught suspension, and why do they not wait until the match is over to pick best player of world cup, also won 550E on the italians

dodo said:
How did he win best player award even if he was not sent off Cannavaro had to be the man of the world cup, Cannavaro did not have one bad game ,best player by a mile

I agree, but the WC was played in Germany and Zizou is an adidas brand and adidas are German and FIFA are ...

Anyway FIFA could not bring themselves to award the Golden Ball to a defender.

I just couldnt believe it. As I saw him walking back to Matarazzi I was thinking "No! dont do it! walk away" and then he goes and bloody head-butts him in the chest!! I think it goes with saying that whatever was said was pretty nasty but still, Zidane is a professional, the most highly regarded footballer of his day and surely that type of goading and below the belt insult isnt that rare these days. Footballers do whatever its takes to get the advantage. Just look at that winker Ronaldo.

It was a sad end to a great career and I couldnt help but feel so sorry for him.

Back