Health Insurance What is the point of having private health insurance?

I guess the question is whether it's more cost efficient (a) to buy private health insurance or (b) to just save up for the eventuality of needing elective surgery/radiography etc.

Last edited:
Is the question about limerick or private health insurance generally?

If a general question - yes it is worth it. Twice had infant see consultants months ahead of public service waiting list. Indeed in one case the referring doctor put a private and public referral letter in at same time, to same hospital, and the public appointment arrived not far off 1 year later.

That said, we are moving at pace towards the American model of meaningful private cover becoming so expensive that most will only achieve it via their employer. I am not sure what happens at the point of retirement - I certainly will not be able to pay for the health cover I currently enjoy. The top package prices now are several thousand euro per annum. I do worry about our direction towards America on numerous issues combined. Two tier health care, two-tier housing, increased mental illness/social media driven expectations. Anyone who has been to San Francisco in the past 3 or 4 years will likely have had a glimpse of how messed up a wealthy western city can become. Broken health care is central

No particular targe
What size fund are you targeting?

Have you thought about the opportunity cost?
No particular fund size, just out of whatever savings I have. Both scenarios have opportunity costs but on average people will be better off & have more choice paying themselves (in total insurance companies pay out less than they take in). Private health insurance is basically a queue-jumping ticket.

Last edited:
I guess the question is whether it's more cost efficient (a) to buy private health insurance or (b) to just save up for the eventuality of needing elective surgery/radiography etc.
You could argue the same about any insurance, When the time comes, and I shuffle off into oblivion, between car, home, travel and health insurance, I'll probably have paid upwards of €100k in my life time to insurance companies and probably never seen the benefit. But its still the right thing to be insured properly.

You could argue the same about any insurance
Yes and no. Insurance makes the most sense for low probability/devastating cost risks (such as the house burning down). Healthcare costs are more predictable as you get older. But it's also a question of whether one is willing to tolerate the inconveniences of a substandard public health system until it becomes a matter of life and death at which point it makes sense to start paying directly wherever private treatment is fastest/best (which isn't necessarily going to be in Ireland).

Is the question about limerick or private health insurance generally?

If a general question - yes it is worth it. Twice had infant see consultants months ahead of public service waiting list. Indeed in one case the referring doctor put a private and public referral letter in at same time, to same hospital, and the public appointment arrived not far off 1 year later.

That said, we are moving at pace towards the American model of meaningful private cover becoming so expensive that most will only achieve it via their employer. I am not sure what happens at the point of retirement - I certainly will not be able to pay for the health cover I currently enjoy. The top package prices now are several thousand euro per annum. I do worry about our direction towards America on numerous issues combined. Two tier health care, two-tier housing, increased mental illness/social media driven expectations. Anyone who has been to San Francisco in the past 3 or 4 years will likely have had a glimpse of how messed up a wealthy western city can become. Broken health care is central

Slaintecare means a movement away from health insurance, as private activity is being removed from public hosps.

Consultants are switching to public-only contracts.

So it could be argued that we are moving towards the UK model, sort of.

From my own experience I walked in a private A&E in Dublin and got a rare cancer diagnosis in less than 24hrs. Speaking to someone now in support groups a similar age to me they were 2.5 years seeing different GP's and waiting on outpatient appointments and begging for referrals . The cancer for this person had spread severely. My only symptom was lower pain back, public hospital A&E would most likely have sent me home with pain killers.

An elderly relative was ill, needed a new pacemaker, the cost billed by the private hospital was in excess of €50k.
For most people funding that themselves isn’t an option. That’s why we have insurance

As a public patient he’d have had to wait several months, in hospital, according to his GP. It was urgent but not A&E critical. He’d have been admitted and waited or waited at home until it became critical

From my own experience I walked in a private A&E in Dublin and got a rare cancer diagnosis in less than 24hrs. Speaking to someone now in support groups a similar age to me they were 2.5 years seeing different GP's and waiting on outpatient appointments and begging for referrals . The cancer for this person had spread severely. My only symptom was lower pain back, public hospital A&E would most likely have sent me home with pain killers.

Is this because you could see a consultant within 24hrs of arrival in the private hosp?

Whereas in a public hosp you might see a SHO/Registrar?

Is this because you could see a consultant within 24hrs of arrival in the private hosp?

Whereas in a public hosp you might see a SHO/Registrar?
I had a MRI, 2 CT scans and met with 2 consultants day 1, I was admitted overnight had a biopsy the next day and confirmed diagnosis. At best public A&E would have sent me for scans as an outpatient on a long waiting list.

private health care got me an early diagnosis if nothing else.

I'm glad to have private health insurance especially when I see how long my brother, who hasn't, has to wait for procedures to be done.
I recently had an MRI on a Saturday morning in a private hospital when the rest of the hospital was closed and wasn't waiting very long to get the appointment.

May I add, once she was able to access the hospital system. She received exemplary care and thankfully went on to make a full recovery.
The reason why so many of us take out private medical insurance is for timely access to care and the above post illustrates why so many of us do.

If the public HSE system matched the private system in terms of timeliness, access to scans, etc., would people drop their insurance?

I would certainly drop insurance. While I do appreciate the comfort my parents have in say Blackrock or the Beacon I’d be happy to be in a public ward etc.

It’s waiting lists that scare me

Yes and no. Insurance makes the most sense for low probability/devastating cost risks (such as the house burning down). Healthcare costs are more predictable as you get older. But it's also a question of whether one is willing to tolerate the inconveniences of a substandard public health system until it becomes a matter of life and death at which point it makes sense to start paying directly wherever private treatment is fastest/best (which isn't necessarily going to be in Ireland).
That's my thinking aswell, obviously you run the risk that you could have truly devastating health problems but the public health system is there for that aswell, this isn't the US where they look for money or insurance first before treatment. But for this strategy to work you need to truly disciplined and actually properly have a health fund built up, not to be used for kitchen renovations etc .
Also because they have the penalty in place for those who don't sign up for insurance in your 30s ,that's a bigger obstacle to getting insurance when you get older. What about all those who were scared into buying insurance a decade ago and were enticed by cheaper introduction quotes, are they still paying for insurance now that the costs have rocketed and was it worth it ? only to then drop out. At least by having your own fund that money is still there for you

Back