What is the company “Irish tax rebates” all about?

landlord

My other half is a primary school teacher and mentioned to me that a few months ago she was advised by other school teachers in her school to fill out the online “Irish tax rebate” form. (She did). They had all apparently received rebates from revenue. However a percentage or fee had gone to this company.
My immediate thought when she told me about this recently was this was a scam. Over the years I have always made sure she has received all her credits including her teacher flat rate expense.
So I was surprised to see yesterday that she had received a cheque from Irish tax rebates for €106.74. There were no details on the letter about how this figure was calculated and how much they took for their fee.
There is a phone number on the letter so I was going to call to query this. Should I also contact revenue to find out if this company is genuine?
My concern is that my other half had nominated Irish tax rebates as her accountant and they have fudged the figures to allow for an artificial rebate in which they can claim a percentage. My other half would end up paying for this eventually.
However if they have genuinely found a rebate that I have missed then I believe they are entitled to a percentage of this rebate.

I am not sure what A P21/sol is but I will login to my other half’s ROS online account tomorrow and see if I can check that. Thanks.

It’s just claiming what people are entitled to.

Like a nurse claiming the circa €120 they’re entitled to for uniforms or someone claiming back 20% of the cost of a GP visit.

It’s not a scam; it’s just paying for low-end tax advice.

plenty of companies doing this, just hand over your details and receipts and they'll put the claim in for you for a % of what you get. For a lot of people, especially those not financially aware or confident in dealing with Revenue, it's an easy solution

My other half is a primary school teacher and mentioned to me that a few months ago she was advised by other school teachers in her school to fill out the online “Irish tax rebate” form. (She did). They had all apparently received rebates from revenue. However a percentage or fee had gone to this company.
My immediate thought when she told me about this recently was this was a scam. Over the years I have always made sure she has received all her credits including her teacher flat rate expense.
So I was surprised to see yesterday that she had received a cheque from Irish tax rebates for €106.74. There were no details on the letter about how this figure was calculated and how much they took for their fee.
There is a phone number on the letter so I was going to call to query this. Should I also contact revenue to find out if this company is genuine?
My concern is that my other half had nominated Irish tax rebates as her accountant and they have fudged the figures to allow for an artificial rebate in which they can claim a percentage. My other half would end up paying for this eventually.
However if they have genuinely found a rebate that I have missed then I believe they are entitled to a percentage of this rebate.

They are a legitimate company who make money on taxpayers fear, laziness and confusion. They arent doing any magical or amazing. They are just using their version of Revenues online service to make claims anyone could do. They get a little bit of personal information from their initial sign-up and make claims for their new clients if they are sure a refund is due by looking at their Revenue record. By signing up to their service, any refund due is paid to them where they deduct their fee and send on the remainder to their clients. The P21/statement of liability is sitting in the taxpayers own Revenue account or is posted out to them by Revenue. The company stays on as agent and will continue to review their clients account so long as there is a chance a refund is due. They will remain active until the taxpayer removes them from their Revenue records.

What worries me is that teachers, who all have degrees, and are meant to be educated, are wasting money by using these firms.

And I say that as a teacher myself.

Back