What is the Christian City Church?

Sav H

Has anybody ever heard of/have any opinion on the Christian City Church/Freedom Centre? My 12 year old daughter was sent home from her (convent) school with a book about "living life with This post will be deleted if not edited immediately", which was given to her by one of the resource teachers in the school... Just wanted to arm myself before contacting the school...

Thanks

Sorry no answer for you.
What was wrong withe book (i assume your child is Christian if in a Convent school)?

Sorry no answer for you.
What was wrong withe book (i assume your child is Christian if in a Convent school)?
A resource teacher proselytising for a Protestant Church in a Catholic school might be a problem (for the school).

I can't imagine its School sanctioned reading as the Catholic Church don't generally encourage interfaith reading material. Maybe its a recruitment drive?

Did it give an address for their Church in Ireland? There was a programme on RTE a couple of years ago about a group that looks a little like it, they seemed harmless enough, lots of singing and talking about This post will be deleted if not edited immediately, this particular group were into the full body Baptism also which is what brings them to mind, I think they had their Baptism Ceremonies in the sea around Killiney or Dalkey, but the Church met in the City Centre around Abbey Street I think.

A resource teacher proselytising for a Protestant Church in a Catholic school might be a problem (for the school).
I see. I am curious too. A resource teacher is on shaky ground giving that sort of book - its hardly something your child needs extra work in.

Thanks for your replies-www.c3iglobal.org tells me how wonderful the church is-I was hoping for an outsider's view. There doesn't appear to be a branch in Ireland, the closest one being the UK. As far as I can gather, the church originated in the southern hemisphere, where the teacher in question hails from. Thanks again-I'll keep making enquiries.

If it's a Catholic school, and you sent your child there for a Catholic education, then there has been a breach of trust. You are entitled to bring the matter to the attention of the principal, and expect that it be dealt with.

If a Catholic education is not that important to you, and you simply don't want your child to be subject to any proselytisation, then I would suggest that you bring the matter directly to the resource teacher. Make it clear that you would object to general promotion of the Christian City Church in the school environment, and not merely to giving your child a book.

... then I would suggest that you bring the matter directly to the resource teacher...
I disagree. This should be addressed directly with the school principal or the board of management. Any other approach could be interpreted as attempting to bully the resource teacher concerned.

Have you spoken with other parents? Are they concerned? It might be useful to present (if possible) a united concern on the issue to the principal or the board.
... Make it clear that you would object to general promotion of the Christian City Church in the school environment, and not merely to giving your child a book.
I agree on this point but would include any other religion or denomination as well.

I am not an ardent Catholic and would have the same issue if the school espoused the doctrine of any other religion (or none).

First port of call is always the teacher about whom the complaint is in the first instance.
Failing that the next port of call is the principal. After that it's with the chairperson of the board with a view to resolving it informally. After that, failing agreement, it comes before the board (written complaint).

The above complaints procedure has been agreed by the unions, the CPSMA and the DES.

Talk to teacher first .... explain your concerns .... if that fails ... follow the above.

Surely this is something that really needs toi be nipped in the bud straight away. So the teacher gets removed from her their post and then gets a job in a private school !! Does this become an invitation for the Moonies or the likes to get in at Base level ???

... The above complaints procedure has been agreed by the unions, the CPSMA and the DES. ...

Sorry, I had to search to figure out the MLAs.

In what way is this agreement binding on a parent who is concerned about a teacher who appears to be behaving in a manner contrary to the ethos in the school, to the possible detriment of a very young and vulnerable student?

It may be a simple matter of misunderstanding. The procedure is agreed and the teacher is always the first level of contact by the complainant involved. Parents as a group/Parents Association have no involvement in the procedure itself and cannot address an individual's complaint. Even the parents' reps. on the Board of Management cannot bring up individual complaints.

The Principal will (should) kick the individual complaint back to the teacher to address.

If the issue isn't resolved it follows the complaints procedure. The procedure is there to give people an opportunity to resolve it at source if possible. I don't know anything about the book involved .... it may have been innocently given/it may not .... the first thing to be done is parent/teacher contact ..... next step will be determined by the outcome of that contact.

Wow, Im really surprised at the reaction here. I dont see what the big deal is.

The kid is in a christian school and the teacher gave out christian reading material. Whats the problem with that? What was in the reading material that youre so worried about?

The issue here is that a parent has a concern that inappropriate material has been given to his/her child. If they have a concern they need to address it.

A quick word with the teacher may be all it takes.

Issues/concerns need to be nipped in the bud. If not, they can lead to more complicated confusion.

Talk to teacher ..... then principal ..... then Chairperson .... then commit to paper if all that fails and board will address the concerns raised.

I disagree. This should be addressed directly with the school principal or the board of management.

I can see why you disagree with me, and I will not say that you are wrong. My suggestion about taking the matter up with the teacher is not a matter of the most correct protocol; in a matter of this kind I think the correct protocol is to bring it to the attention of the principal. In a school that takes its Catholic ethos very seriously, the teacher's job could be at risk. If Sav H is not very concerned about a Catholic ethos, but simply thinks the handing out of this book is a bad idea, he or she might choose to go to the teacher with a message along the lines of "Look, I should really take this up with the principal, but you might avoid bringing trouble on yourself if..."

Any other approach could be interpreted as attempting to bully the resource teacher concerned.

Not any other approach; some ways of approaching the problem.

This approach is designed for a different type of difficulty, typically where a parent is concerned about the quality of teaching. There can be situations (e.g. teachers using violence) where it would be seen as unsuitable.

The issue here is that a parent has a concern that inappropriate material has been given to his/her child.
So the reading material was not produced by the official church in Rome, so what?

Do you have a problem with books printed in England as well?

This is the year 2008 not 1640. Grow up!

If I was the teacher Id have a good old laugh at the parents, and suggest they burn any books they dont like. Or they could call in an Excorcist if theyre really worried.

Maybe you need to read the thread more carefully then.

A Catholic child in a Catholic convent school was given non-Catholic literature to take home and read.

If a child in a non-denominational school was given Catholic reading material by resource teacher apparently proselytising for the Catholic Church, would you see that as a problem? I know I would.