What is Celsius?

As regards the 'anguish', there's no anguish here. I'm on record as stating price would retrace the best part of a year ago already.
Professor Roubini reckons that more than 50% of the bees are now nursing very big losses. Maybe they take the stoic approach that it is all worth while in the general scheme of the bees' group social aspirations.
Go on then Duke - tell us we will never see $20,000 ever again. :cool: ( like you had done once before ).
Did I say that? Hey I'm not proud, I got the short term outlook way, way wrong as did Professor Roubini and a host of Nobels.

Professor Roubini reckons that more than 50% of the bees are now nursing very big losses. Maybe they take the stoic approach that it is all worth while in the general scheme of the bees' group social aspirations.
This has happened numerous times already. Each time we had folks declare BTC dead on arrival. It goes up aggressively and it corrects viciously with nobody pressing pause or bailing anyone out (nobody suspending trading, nobody with their own printing press acting as buyer of last resort) but with its underlying network effect growing the whole time.

Did I say that? Hey I'm not proud, I got the short term outlook way, way wrong as did Professor Roubini and a host of Nobels.
Ok, but do you have it right this time? Will it never see $20k again? Because if you're saying that it's akin to the South Sea Bubble or Tulipmania - then that has to be what you're suggesting, right? ;)

Last edited:
Ok, but do you have it right this time? Will it never see $20k again? Because if you're saying that it's akin to the South Sea Bubble or Tulipmania - then that has to be what you're suggesting, right? ;)
That is my ultimate prediction along with Professor Roubini and the Nobels but I haven’t shorted it since 2018 and I’m not shorting it now.

tecate

He is clearly not saying that, so I am not sure why you keep asking a question he has answered.

The ultimate destination of Bitcoin is zero.

But it has proved impossible to predict the path to zero and the timing.

It may well bounce back over $20k on its path to zero.

Who knows? The rational is hard enough to predict. The irrational is even harder.

Brendan

He is clearly not saying that, so I am not sure why you keep asking a question he has answered.
Well, I do apologise Brendan if this is tedious for you - but clarity was precisely what I was after. He said it's the South Sea Bubble - but it must not be the South Sea Bubble if it's likely to rise above $20k again. Look at a graphical representation of the South Sea Bubble or Tulipmania and it is ONE big ass candle up, straight down and a flat line. It's not up and down 5x times whilst setting higher lows year on year. The closest thing to doing anything along those lines was Amazon ( which corrected 38% to 50% every year over a 12 year duration as people tried to figure out what it was ).

The ultimate destination of Bitcoin is zero.
That is an opinion you have expressed without acknowledgement of the fact that you could be wrong. I'm quite happy to accept that Bitcoin can die off but in no way do I see that as a likely outcome over the course of the next decade.

Last edited:
The bees are fairly buzzing - above 20k again. But what makes me think that the whales have already made off with most of the honey.

The bees are fairly buzzing - above 20k again. But what makes me think that the whales have already made off with most of the honey.
Does this not puncture your South Sea Bubble claim?

Is that what happened with the 80% Netflix correction? How about all the other tech/growth stocks? Did the whales make off with all the money? Or are we just reserving a special place in hell for anything crypto-related and holding it to a higher standard than everything else? Who made off with all the honey when the gold bullion market in London had trading conveniently suspended by its Hong Kong based owners a few short weeks ago? Does the nutty professor (Roubini) or professor fax machine have any views on this?

The nutty professor has been calling Bitcoin DOA since $13/BTC. However, professor fax machine has outdone him - he's been calling Bitcoin DOA since $7/BTC. Clearly the grand Nobels are revered within their circle of Nobels.

Last edited:
Does this not puncture your South Sea Bubble claim?
Don't get this but you have been banging on about it for a few posts. No way have I been saying they are identical and no way would I state with any certainty any prognosis for the medium term bitcoin price. But it’s ultimate destination is zero. Can’t understand why you were trying to lull me into a prediction that no rational observer could make.
Actually I am not an expert on the SSB but my understanding is that the promise was that untold real wealth would be found. Once this wasn‘t found the bubble burst.
Bitcoin has made no such claims, in fact Satoshi conceded it had no intrinsic value. We have no further information today than 8 months ago. There is no reason why its value was 70k then and 20k today. I don’t know what will eventually trigger it achieving a price equal to its intrinsic value, but that is where it must end no matter how much the bees buzz.

Don't get this but you have been banging on about it for a few posts. No way have I been saying they are identical and no way would I state with any certainty any prognosis for the medium term bitcoin price.
You compared it with the SSB - and if you're going to make that comparison, then you'll have to justify it. If you don't want me 'banging on' about it, then simply don't make the wayward comparison.

Can’t understand why you were trying to lull me into a prediction that no rational observer could make.
See above - It's a well trodden path to find that yourself and Brendan won't confirm if Bitcoin will go to zero within a month/year/decade/100 years. And that's fine if you can't call it to the nearest 100 years. However, if you're going to compare it to the SSB, then I'm challenging that on the basis that in no way did the SSB rise and fall 4-5 times. Neither did Tulipmania. In no way are they fitting or appropriate comparisons.

Bitcoin has made no such claims, in fact Satoshi conceded it had no intrinsic value. We have no further information today than 8 months ago. There is no reason why its value was 70k then and 20k today.
In a recent post on this thread, DiP clarified for you why Bitcoin - which has never claimed to produce a return - is going up in value - year on year (setting higher lows year on year) - adoption. That adoption is set against the backdrop of it being a finite asset. You'll grumble that there is no such adoption - and by comparison with where Bitcoin ( and this discussion ) was in early 2018, you will be 100% wrong.

I don’t know what will eventually trigger it achieving a price equal to its intrinsic value, but that is where it must end no matter how much the bees buzz.
I've always stated that my thesis on Bitcoin could be wrong. What is not cool is that yourself and @Brendan Burgess speak in absolutes. There is no disgrace in getting something wrong. However, in speaking in absolutes, don't be surprised if this thing haunts the two of you.

Last edited:
“Economic Daily” :

As cryptocurrencies reel under the global downturn, Chinese state-run newspaper Economic Daily has warned investors that the price of leading cryptocurrency Bitcoin is "heading to zero".

The warning came as the cryptocurrency market continued to face meltdown with Bitcoin hovering around $21,000 per digital coin on Saturday -- a substantial drop from its record high of $68,000 in November last year.

"Bitcoin is nothing more than a string of digital codes, and its returns mainly come from buying low and selling high," the newspaper said.

"In the future, once investors' confidence collapses or when sovereign countries declare bitcoin illegal, it will return to its original value, which is utterly worthless," it added, reports South China Morning Post.

Last edited:
It could take longer than we think though - the evangelists and vested interests will never accept that the game is up, and we will need to get to a point where their influence can't hold back the tide and they just become irrelevant. There are still a lot of people who see this as another opportunity to buy the dip, and another chance to become a crypto millionaire. There are less and less of them, but it's definitely still there, and it wont end well for them.

To anyone that is interested, this is a detailed run through on the risk management failures that led to the demise of crypto hedge fund Three Arrows Capital - and the crypto lenders (such as Celsius) that lent money to it.

Arthur Hayes / Number Three

Last edited:
Oh well

[…] Now, one of its former asset managers has alleged in a filing to the New York County Supreme Court that this all devolved into nothing more than a grubby, unsustainable Ponzi scheme. Jason Stone, the CEO and founder of KeyFi, who managed billions of dollars worth of cryptocurrency investments on behalf of Celsius from August 2020 to March 2021, said Celsius began to fall apart when the prices of digital assets, such as Ethereum and Bitcoin, soared at the start of last year. […]

Interesting quote in there:
Indian Reserve Bank said:
India's Reserve Bank has offered a scathing assessment of cryptocurrencies in its latest financial stability report – saying the risks they create demand attention before they undermine established institutions.

"Cryptocurrencies are a clear danger," the report baldly declares in its Foreword, penned by Reserve Bank governor Shaktikanta Das. "Anything that derives value based on make believe, without any underlying [value], is just speculation under a sophisticated name."
Gives me a new caption for bitcoin - utterly worthless make-believe.
@tecate please don't be so totally predictable as to call me a Hindu Commie.

Gives me a new caption for bitcoin - utterly worthless make-believe.
@tecate please don't be so totally predictable as to call me a Hindu Commie.
I don't mind you quoting central banks or authoritarian, freedom suppressing, surveillance states and you coming up with utterly worthless make-believe as some sort of tar and feathering catch phrase, Duke. It kind of makes my point for me so I'll help you and bold it out.

I did think that it was worth highlighting that you've relied upon the Chinese - and it's not because they're communist. It's the authoritarian, freedom-suppressing, censorship-loving, surveillance state that they're running that is just a tad problematic when you call their review of Bitcoin credible. You do realise that this is what you're doing every time you quote them in calling Bitcoin 'utterly worthless'? It's complete validation for Bitcoin Duke - because Bitcoin is the opposite of freedom suppressing, the opposite of authoritarian. So please do continue to quote them in your desperation to scramble some sort of an attack on the decentralised crypto.

As for your Indian friends, well at least they're just another garden variety central bank. Turkeys don't vote for Christmas, Tell me, how many times has India banned Bitcoin, unbanned Bitcoin, re-banned Bitcoin, unbanned Bitcoin, etc? Why is that precisely? If it's such 'make believe' money, wouldn't it be easy for them to stick with their first decision? Did they say, 'this is make believe money, we haven't changed our minds but we are unbanning it now'? Why would they do that Duke?
Also, lets not let the CBI get all the plaudits here. A shout out to the Indian government who recently added some penal tax on crypto transactions - a million thank-you's to it for driving the use of decentralized exchanges (DEXs). That's truly an advancement for crypto in India (and by implication, further afield also).

Of course, Deputy High Priest at the Bank of England, Jon Cuniffe, must be quite the rare turkey indeed. But no matter. Whereas you have to 'have faith' in these high priest central bankers in their alchemy, I don't. Programmable decentralised rules-based money doesn't need faith in clowns that you wrongly put on pedestals.

Do you have any other marketing ideas for sovereign monopoly money? I'd love to hear them. ;)

Last edited:
@tecate I thought you understood what the DG of the BoE was saying. Look, if you want to take that as a ringing endorsement of bitcoin, I shouldn't rain on your parade.
I do realise that I do not give due credit for the countries which have adopted bitcoin - El Salvador and the Central African Republic respectively 111th and 184th in world rankings on GDP per capita. I wonder have we yet seen the first international settlement between these two in bitcoin, one of its supposed major features.

Last edited:
@tecate I thought you understood what the DG of the BoI was saying.
I understand perfectly what your Deputy High Priest was saying. He said that out of the current crypto crash, some crypto-centric companies could become the next Amazon. I've pointed out to you that his view is very different to the other alchemists that you've told us you have to have complete faith in.

if you want to take that as a ringing endorsement of bitcoin, I shouldn't rain on your parade.
You're the one that puts complete faith in these alchemists - not me. But be honest for at least one second. NEVER would you have suggested that such value could be created within crypto. Over the course of 5 years, you've never made such an admission. And before you go back over the same nonsense (i.e. he wasn't talking about cryptocurrencies), what precisely do you think these crypto startups are working with exactly?

I do realise that I do not give due credit for the countries which have adopted bitcoin - El Salvador and the Central African Republic respectively 111th and 184th in world rankings on GDP per capita.

Vent if it helps you to cope, Duke. Whatever works. You've said that this Bitcoin thing has gone on longer than you had imagined it would. What you have never admitted is that since this became a topic of discussion here 5 years ago, everything about Bitcoin and its ecosystem has grown exponentially. You can try and play down the significance of two nation states adopting Bitcoin as an official currency all you want. The fact is that had such a thing been mentioned in 2018, I've no doubt that you would have said no way could that happen.

I wonder have we yet seen the first international settlement between these two in bitcoin, one of its supposed major features.

You use the word 'supposed' and yet there is no denying the fact that it can be used for international settlement.

Here's Ruchir Sharma, the Chairman of Rockefeller Capital Management ($95 billion AUM) providing his thoughts on Bitcoin. Whilst your central banking friend said that a crypto startup could be the next Amazon, Sharma likens Bitcoin to Amazon. There's also a message for your alchemist friends at the Central Bank of India - Sharma says they can't control it. He also talks in terms of its use for payments and settlement - and provides references to its use in that respect in the Middle East. Lastly, he acknowledges that we will see further progress in terms of decreasing volatility as and when it emerges from this bear market.

But back to your marketing campaign sponsored by an authoritarian, censorship loving, freedom-suppressing, surveillance state -> Bitcoin is "utterly useless".

Last edited:
But be honest for at least one second. NEVER would you have suggested that such value could be created within crypto. Over the course of 5 years, you've never made such an admission. And before you go back over the same nonsense (i.e. he wasn't talking about cryptocurrencies), what precisely do you think these crypto startups are working with exactly?
Ah! so you have twisted for yourself that he did actually mean the currencies and not the technology. As I say, it would be unfair of me to try and disillusion you.
Did I predict Amazon? No. Did you? Do I think the DG is right that an equivalent of Amazon might arise from crypto technology? I don't think so but I could be wrong as I was for Amazon. The technology does actually add value and could spell a grim future for Lever Arch files, for example.
But I am not wrong that bitcoin (and all the others) are utterly worthless make-believe as currencies.
Vent if it helps you to cope, Duke. Whatever works. You've said that this Bitcoin thing has gone on longer than you had imagined it would. What you have never admitted is that since this became a topic of discussion here 5 years ago, everything about Bitcoin and its ecosystem has grown exponentially. You can try and play down the significance of two nation states adopting Bitcoin as an official currency all you want. The fact is that had such a thing been mentioned in 2018, I've no doubt that you would have said no way could that happen.
I would have. There are lots of things I would have said could not happen. But if you think two tiny basket case economies with very dubious governance adopting bitcoin as an all-in bet for their impoverished citizenry outweighs the views of the leaders of 3 billion people ruled by two diametrically opposite ideologies; maybe you should pause to ask yourself are you indulging in a little self delusion.

Last edited:
Back