what is best credit card available ?

marygl

I have had the same basic credit card for 22 years . I pay off my full balance monthly. I was looking for advice on what is the best credit card in terms of benefits that it offers and no hidden fees? or should i stay with an old product? thanks

Another vote for the AIB Platinum card. Getting cash back every month is nice, even if it is only 10~20 euro each time.

I've been using the BOI Platinum card for as long as I can remember
It costs 70 or 80 euros a year but you get free travel insurance on any travel once paid for with the card
The last time I looked which was a while ago I found that the travel insurance was one of the better ones out there

Thank you, Id noted the AIB platinum card, so its really helpful to have it recommended, thanks

It is important to note. The best I can work out regarding the AIB platinum is that the first 5k doesn't yield anything. It is only the spend thereafter where you get the 0.5% back.

Thank you for this . I have an AIB credit card and didn’t know about the cash back on the platinum card .

Applied this morning and was told I’ll have the new card in 8 working days .

It is important to note. The best I can work out regarding the AIB platinum is that the first 5k doesn't yield anything. It is only the spend thereafter where you get the 0.5% back.
That's what I thought also for the cash back percentage. The rewards for shopping in certain shops is regardless amount. I can't see either about E70 charge mentioned above by one poster. I don't think I'd pay E70 for the use of a credit card to be honest.

The €70 charge is for the BoI platinum card, no charge for AIB platinum card. BoI card has free travel insurance.

I know this is about personal credit cards, but if you happen to fly a lot the BOI Business Gold card gives you unlimited Fast Track through Dublin Airport and access+guest to the Aer Lingus lounges (Dublin, Heathrow).

This is the info on the free travel insurance from boi card:
Free Travel Insurance: Comprehensive multi-trip travel insurance including winter sports when at least 50% of the total holiday costs of your insured journey are paid using your card

This is the info on the free travel insurance from boi card:
Free Travel Insurance: Comprehensive multi-trip travel insurance including winter sports when at least 50% of the total holiday costs of your insured journey are paid using your card
If one was paying an annual fee for a credit card, I understand that the travel insurance on the BOI Aer credit card is much better than the Platinum one. It provides full insurance for the family, and I haven't seen any criteria about paying for the trip using the card.

I don't know which is the best. I've an Avant Card which I'm happy with. 1.25% back on most purchases up to €12 a month.
Interest rates don't really bother me as I pay it off in time each month.
Their customer service is great. A few months ago I missed the minimum payment date by two days. I got charged the interest. Ah well, it was my fault so I thought nothing of it. They rang me and asked why I missed it. I told them I thought the date was later and they refunded the interest. I wasn't expecting that. Obviously they wouldn't make a habit of it but I thought it was good service.

There's no app for the card but the website is good and pending transactions are on your statement immediately.

Last edited:
The Avant Card cashback only applies to certain shopping and event expenditure. Not all expenditure. On Boards.ie some posters have expressed disappointment with the low cashback.

If one was paying an annual fee for a credit card, I understand that the travel insurance on the BOI Aer credit card is much better than the Platinum one. It provides full insurance for the family, and I haven't seen any criteria about paying for the trip using the card.
As far as I can see the travel insurance policies for the BOI platinum and the BOI AER card are the same
But I never spotted that the AER card doesn't seem to have the 50% holiday clause

But I never spotted that the AER card doesn't seem to have the 50% holiday
Makes a difference in case of children (up to 23). They automatically have travel insurance, but can pay for their own holiday!

Interestingly, both cards provide insurance up to 81st birthday. For a couple over 70 it's not an expensive option for worldwide travel insurance.

The Avant Card cashback only applies to certain shopping and event expenditure. Not all expenditure. On Boards.ie some posters have expressed disappointment with the low cashback.
Well its clearly outlined on their site. It's not hidden (or complicated). People can read the categories themselves and decide if it's worth their while.

Works for me, might not work for everybody. E.g. The €5k minimum on other cards in this thread wouldn't work for me.

Last edited:
UB Black Credit card has zero FX fees, handy for holidays outside Eurozone and for online shopping from UK and further afield. Makes an alternative to Revolut and the like

As an aside. If you have a curve card you avoid fx fees. Eg if I buy from amazon and choose to pay in Gb£ (as amazon's fx fees are dire) I'll get charged a few quid on the transaction when it hits my bank.
If I use my curve they do the fx conversion before sending the charge to my cc. If you spend a lot abroad it can save a reasonable amount.

Curve card isn't a credit card. So not really appropriate on this thread but handy for anybody who has a debit / credit card.

Back