What happens these drivers who damage level crossings?

Brendan Burgess

Founder
They have all been identified.

Do they get their licenses revoked?

Do they have to pay for the damage to the level crossing?

In my car I am very careful.

But I would hate to be making a late crossing on my bike and then meeting one of those mad drivers. Though to be fair, you see them a long way off .

Brendan

A few years back they installed number plate recognition cameras at Merrion Gates, Sydney Parade and Sutton so they could pursue the drivers for damages. No idea how they have fared though.

Yes, that's the one.
Sounds like a great idea but the first time a family are wiped out by a train the usual suspects will be moaning about it.

That's very expensive and causes massive disruption (they generally close the lines when they are digging them up to put in bridges). That and all the legal actions from the well heeled residents in the area would make it an unattractive proposition.

That's very expensive and causes massive disruption (they generally close the lines when they are digging them up to put in bridges). That and all the legal actions from the well heeled residents in the area would make it an unattractive proposition.

Yes but it generates a much better public transport system. Also less level crossing incidents.

Omelettes and eggs.

It's not just at level crossings. Many Irish road users including motorists, motorcyclists, cyclists, pedestrians etc just abuse every bit of common sense when generally using the roads. To be honest, I'm surprised that the death/serious illness rate is not higher than it is.

Back