what do you think of kia sportage?

i guess i have been toying with the idea of buying a jeep for the last few years.... and i have not got it out of my system yet... mind you reading all the above comments are changing my mind... i like the look of it and the fact that it only depreciates about 5k a year, which is what most cars depreciated... i dont really fancy any other car on the market at the moment... i wanted a convertible and now that i have one, i have it out of my system... its lovely to look at, and lovely in the summer, but its a bit of a bumpy ride as the tyres are so low profile and its a bit rattley too... i do love the honda accord, but they are a bit too expensive....

The land rover freelander with the td4 engine is a much safer bet, your looking at 40 - 45 mpg, and its got a BMW engine so at least its going to start.. 01 - 03's can be got for 10 - 20k, 20k for something really top of the range.

This one is very good value.

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=462889

Top of the range.

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=559363

I'd almost prefer the Kia over the Freelander. I think they're pieces of crap..

My mother owns a Freelander td4 and it returns about 35mpg, this is her second one and the first was the same. She had a Rav4 diesel before the Freelanders and averaged over 40mpg out of that. She does all country driving so that would represent the best you will get from that type of vehicle. The CRV would be more economical as it used part time 4WD and runs in 2WD mode until the electronics tell it to use the 4 wheels. The Rav4 and Freelander are full time 4WD and that uses more fuel and tyres. The Rav4 was a much better machine than either of the 2 Freelanders but the Freelander felt much better to drive than the Sportage/Tuscon. We were lucky with the Freelanders (up to now) and had no trouble with them, the diesel is good but stay away from the 1.8L petrol, they will go wrong!!

Have you considered Mitsubishi Outlander?

A bit different to some other SUVs, reliable/spacious but fairly car-like to drive if that's a plus for you.

How does all country driving represent the best MPG, if you doing all motorway driving surely your getting the best MPG so my 45 mpg rating still stands.

back to subject.
I've actually ran a 00 1.8 freelander SWB as a company car and found it very good, I was never a fan of them before and hated the look of them, but after using one for a couple of weeks I ended up really liking it, maybe I was lucky but it was a shared car and it never gave one minutes problems despite getting some rough treatment, the build quality on that '00 was excellent also, so I can personally recommend them as a small jeep if thats what your after.

Motorway driving at 120kph is thirstier than when driving at 100kph. I am speaking from owners experience and not estimates!

Back