what do you class as means for SW?

My point is it is out of order to say you dont believe someone, directly, indirectly or otherwise. These boards are for people to hopefully get advice about their circumstances. The comment (weather or not I believe her is another conversation) is in my opinion a personal, sly dig and I must say (one I would take offence at, if it had been directed at me) and just not the kind of response to threads that should be encouraged on the boards.

And you have never seen anyone else on here saying they didn't fully believe someone or thought there was something more to the story!

If i had wanted to get a dig at her i would of said something in the post, but i didn't. I used that as an example, i could of picked from plenty of others.

What about the chap who has a €300,000 house with no mortgage? He deserves his dole, whereas the other "poorer" guy with €20,000 in the bank and no house gets nothing.

If anything - people with a significant amount of equity in their homes should be disqualified from claiming the dole.

Just to point out that the statement highlighted above is incorrect. A person with 20k in savings will be entitled to full jobseekers allowance if there is no other income (which was part of Samanthajane's point in the first place - 20k in savings is disregarded).

Savings over 20k are assessed, but not euro for euro, so a person can have significant savings before being fully disallowed from payment.

It is just me or does anyone else find it unbelievable that you are allowed 20k in savings and still be entitled to SW?

I would understand if this amount was for a pension or an account set up for your childrens future, but to have this money sitting in an account for your own personal use, and to be told you dont have to touch that money!!

No wonder were in such a mess.

Why should someone who has put away money for a rainy day or perhaps saved to buy something expensive be punished for it, when someone who is in the same situation but has never saved any money be entitled to the same benefits??

Most means testing used in this country is possibly unConstitutional. The word "Prudence" features prominently in the preamble of the Constitution. The implication is that the prudent people should not be in a worse off position than people who are reckless with money.

Means testing should based on historic income, not current assets/wealth. 2 people who've earned the same amount over their lifetime should get the same SW regardless of whether or not one has loads of savings and the other is broke.

I'm waiting to see what happens when someone challenges SW means testing in the Supreme Court - will be interesting.

And thats the way that it is. If you have paid your stamps you get to claim 12 months jobsekers regardless of what money you have in your account. It could be 1 million it could be 1 euro.

You cant have that continue forever, it has to stop somewhere.

I dont see you logic of historic income there are so many variables to consider. Someone had a great job lost it for what ever reason and has taken a pay cut, why should they get less than someone who has earned more of an income for set amount of years. That would mean that people on long term social welfare should always get lower payments.

It's not just a case of being wreckless with money. A lot of people seem to think that because someone has no saving means they have blow all there money and nothing to show for it. This is not the case.

Most of you are all for keeping all your money and claiming the full amount. How does this differ over the judge's pay system at the moment? They get paid a lot of money some up to 140k a year, a mere few have taken the pay cut,( 14 odd i think ) 129 have not. And there is up roar at the moment because of this. I dont see what the difference is. It's their money they have worked hard to earn that money so why shouldn't they keep every pennys of it?

Why do you think that i have lost?

Or is it that you think you have won?

It's my opinion and i was responding to what someone else had written. You cant win or lose on an opinion! They are what i personally think, and i'm not going to change my thinking because people dont agree with me.

the original post has really annoyed me and kind of disgusted me... i am 30, newly married and would love to have children in the future... for this we are saving like mad. We work hard. I don't have a car as i live in Dublin and am trying to save (i would love my own car), we never go out for meals. we might go out to the pub MAYBE once a month, we save every penny we can and do without major luxuries. On the other hand I have friends who earn MORE than me but have NO savings... by reading your post i thought... what the hell am I at? why am i not going away for weekends and driving around in my own car. my job is not safe and I would just die if i thought that my savings would be wiped out if I did lose it after all the scrimping i did when in employment. Children would also be out of the question. So really i think you need to review your opinion and maybe it's begrudgery that you are feeling. When i hear people have saved that amount i think 'well done you'!

Back