I know its a weird question but we are debating it here in work,

i know.........

free passport
telephone line rental
free travel pass

any others ????

tv licence ???

reduced bill on either gas or electricity

discounted hair dressing, entry into greyhound racing....

10% off at Woodies/B&Q if over 60 - which has always struck me as being discriminatory and possibly illegal (like girls getting into nightclubs for free while Joe Male must pay, surely illegal as well)

I think many sporting events have a reduced price ticket for pensioners, as do many cultural events?

Swimming clubs/gyms usually have a pensioner offer...

Ron Burgundy said:
I know its a weird question but we are debating it here in work,

i know.........

free passport
telephone line rental
free travel pass

any others ????

tv licence ???

Is the tv licence and telephone line rental only free if the pensioner is living on their own?

now that i dont know but i know of a lady who was afraid of this when her son moved back in but nothing changed.

Im being a bit pedantic here I know but..When you say pensioners do you mean....

People in reciept of a state old age pension?
People in reciept of any kind of pension?
People over a certain age treshold (60, 65, 70)?

aj

This seems to answer the question asked by the original poster. Check out the Household Benefits Package which seems to apply to both Contributory and Non-Contributory Old Age Pensions and others.

It does look as if the person should be living alone.

If they live alone they also get a living alone allowance - info should be available on Social & Family Affairs website. The whole thing is referred to the Household Benefits Package.

Word of warning - when the person retires, he/she will probably start getting letters about not having a tv licence, so keep an eye on DSFA and ensure the licence aspect is covered!

AFAIK

One has to be in receipt of a State old age pension to avail of most of those benefits. That's why it is important to try to secure some kind of social welfare old age pension, be it, contributory, non-contributory or pro-rata. Even if one is only getting a couple of Euro a week it opens the door for availing of the "freebies". Actually,(just thinking) theyre' not really "freebies" they are relative to the social welfare contributions which one has paid.

I should qualify this by saying that the reduce golf fees, sports fees, etc. are the exception to the above rule.

aonfocaleile said:
If they live alone they also get a living alone allowance - info should be available on Social & Family Affairs website. The whole thing is referred to the Household Benefits Package.

Living Alone Allowance for people aged 66 or over7.70 euro
Extra Allowance for people aged 80 or over 6.40 euro
Allowance for people aged 66 or over, living on certain offshore islands12.70 euro

thats worth sticking around for!!!

justsally said:
AFAIK

One has to be in receipt of a State old age pension to avail of most of those benefits. That's why it is important to try to secure some kind of social welfare old age pension, be it, contributory, non-contributory or pro-rata. Even if one is only getting a couple of Euro a week it opens the door for availing of the "freebies". Actually,(just thinking) theyre' not really "freebies" they are relative to the social welfare contributions which one has paid.

I should qualify this by saying that the reduce golf fees, sports fees, etc. are the exception to the above rule.

exactly what it says on the tin: non contributary pension.....no contributions!!

That principle went out the door when the last Health Minister provided Medical Cards to all over 70s, irrespective of income. And I recently discovered from such a recipient that they are also eligible for the Household Benefits Package! These people, based on current legislation, would also be eligible for free nursing home care. That largesse has come back to haunt the current Minister.

Ms Harney, Health Minister, was recently reported as saying that "it would clearly be unsustainable for every person over 70 to be entitled to nursing home care free of charge" and "We must have a fair and equitable system based on means and co-payments by the State and individuals or their families." Shouldn't her predecessor have thought of that? Why did that principle not apply to pensioners in nursing homes whose pensions were illegally deducted?

Apparently legislation is being prepared to deal with this issue and, no doubt, determined by the need to head off any future litigation claiming entitlement to free care by some of the richest people in the country who always know their entitlements. I wonder are these over 70s also entitled to Living Alone Allowance? The ones I know of wouldn't turn up their noses at as little as €7 a week. Could that be why they are rich? ;)

I was referring to pensioners at aged 66 - as mentioned by Ron Burgundy,
they have not the automatic entitlements that 70 yr olds have.

slightly off topic. why do tax payers aged 66 get almost twice the exemption of people aged 65? is it that much more expensive to live once you cross 66? would have thought a gently tapering upwards of the tax exemption system would be better all round.

sloggi said:
Living Alone Allowance for people aged 66 or over7.70 euro
Extra Allowance for people aged 80 or over 6.40 euro
Allowance for people aged 66 or over, living on certain offshore islands12.70 euro

thats worth sticking around for!!!

Wonder why Charlie didn't move to Innisvickillaune?

"slightly off topic. why do tax payers aged 66 get almost twice the exemption of people aged 65? is it that much more expensive to live once you cross 66? would have thought a gently tapering upwards of the tax exemption system would be better all round"

Run that by me again Cuchulainn please. I don't fully understand. I thought the higher tax exemption limited kicked in at the beginning of the tax year within which one reaches 65yrs of age. Am I wrong:eek: ????

Back