What car for 3-4k?

Has NCT until December 2012 so ok for now with regards that. Someone told me cud be just a loose wire... Let's hope so... Never realised how much I used the horn :)

Ericsson :)

Don't be tempted to go at it yourself ... an airbag accidentally activating can kill.

Classic response to any problem from someone who hasn't a clue :)

Although in fairness, sometimes it is just a loose wire...

In this case however, maybe more likely that water has got in via the bonnet vents - common enough and easy to fix.

Haha how did u know that really i hadnt a clue ;) lol. How would I go about fixing it if it has been the case of water getting in via the bonnet vents??

Thanks

Hey all,

Currently looking for a car and have 3-4k to spend and havent a clue what to get, my head is melted from car buyers guide! 25year old male here and torn between going for something sensible, small and new(ish) or going for something fancier and undoubtedly a lot more to run....the latter sounds more exciting though!

Any suggestions about what i would get for my money?

Thanks in advance

If you intend to live longer, I'd go for a 1.4 Golf. Those who rely on nippy cars with quick acceleration to get them where they're going either on the open road or in traffic, simply haven't yet learnt how to drive properly or fully understood the limitations of the device they drive. They're just hooked on their accelerator and brake pedals.

I used to be one of those guys, and on a bike to boot. When I looked at my best times across town between my well-ridden bike and a mates well-driven car, I usually made no more than 5-10 minutes on him. Taking into account that I could do things in traffic he couldn't, but still abided by red lights and had to spend time getting in and out of the safety equipment at both beginning andjiurney's end, the bike had very little advantage. Of course finding a car space was easier then, but that cuts both ways.

The short answer is, choose something that can cruise all day at 75-80mph comfortably [120kph is the legal limit on most motorways] and gives you around 30-35 mpg of petrol, that's easy enough to park, but is roomy enough inside for comfort both commuting and long distane and can seat five.

A Golf.

If you were buying newer I'd recommend the 122bhp TSI with DSG. Quicker off the mark, €150 a year road tax, and its effectively an Auto box which is MORE economicaly than a stick shift. 5 Star Euro NCAP built in. Bought a golf for the missus in 2000 and we drove all over northern France in it on one holiday. Still going strong and looking good after 11 years.

Originally bought from Fosters before they moved opposite the Goat Grill. Some reliability issues with the mass flow sensor and one EMU, but easily sorted by MSL in Pottery Road and in the €100's not €1000's range. No connection to VW, Foster's or MSL except being a satisfied customer.

Would I buy another? Yep.

HTH

ONQ.

I wouldn't agree at all on V.W. I have to say ... my first car was a Vento with 70k. miles and FSH ... it eventually went on fire after I had spent over 2 grand with VW dealers who 'couldn't' fix a fault that developed with it. That's 2k in punts btw. I would never touch them ever again - not because of the car as such, though they are statistically average in terms of reliabilty, but because of the dealers.

Between personal items getting nicked from the car, a huge dent appearing and bogus 'repairs' it was enough to turn me off them for life. If I lived in Germany or Austria I might consider one. All I got from the Irish outfit was "serves you right for not buying a new car from us".

I moved on to a Volvo 440 - the one with Renault engine to make matters 'worse'(?) - and 10 years / 90,000 miles later it still drives like a new car. I always thought that VW were the pinnacle of quality, but instead found all of those attiributes in the Volvo.

I would consider a Seat Ibiza or Skoda Felicia for that kind of money ... yes, still volkswagen parts / floorpan etc., but the dealers aren't still revelling in the glory of the 1955 Beetle, and any of them I know are eager to please customers. Half the quality with any car imho is the after - sales service, and my findings have been that VW certainly haven't got it.

Regards,

Tony.

PS: I went into one of the VW dealers mentioned - not sure which of the two - to enquire about a newer vento for sale outside. My opener was "I'd like to have a look at the navy Vento outside". The "salesman" pointed his finger in the general direction and said "yeah, it's out there". That was it!

If you intend to live longer, I'd go for a 1.4 Golf. Those who rely on nippy cars with quick acceleration to get them where they're going either on the open road or in traffic, simply haven't yet learnt how to drive properly or fully understood the limitations of the device they drive. They're just hooked on their accelerator and brake pedals.

I'm hooked on the acclerator when I'm overtaking alright ... it's not a good idea to be on the wrong side of the road longer than you have to be ;)

Back